1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Long Term Ammo Storage

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by duffman77087, Oct 6, 2011.

1. duffman77087

duffman77087 Former Guest

Hey Everyone,
    I have been saving & reloading ammo for better & more consistent loads. I have also been saving a bit of it for a "shtf" moment. Well what I want to know is ammo safe to store in a 50 Cal. can by itself or do you need to store them in plastic boxes then in the ammo can? Also do I need to dab a bit of nail polish on the primers & around the case & bullet before I put them up? I live in Houston, Texas and it is humid most of the year here, but they are kept inside the spare bedroom.
  2. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Living in Houston, I know you have a good AC...:) Kept inside, cool and dry they will outlast you...Ive soom hoarded stuff Ive had for 30 years or more and it shoots just fine...+ it wasnt stored in optimun conditions, but outside in my shop...Hot in Summer and cold in Winter...Still works..
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I live in TX too, and I just stick em in the ammo boxes. I have boxes of ammo that are over 20yrs old!
  4. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Up here in the High Plains, it is dryer than a popcorn fart, I have stuff that I loaded in the mid 70's and it's still good. I do keep it stored in GI ammo cans, got bunches of them stored in a guest room closet, some in the basement. Texas ain't all humid and hot....
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I keep mine stored in GI ammo cans which are made to seal out the elements.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

we've ammo here (.303) that was bought bulk surplus after WW1 and stored in a mine (high and dry) and its good today ..

i packed some for "in case", a plastic box a silica gel pack inside with the ammo when sealed turned upside down and hit it with a hot glue gun and sealed it tight , that'll last 100 years i expect , longer than i will ;)
  7. duffman77087

duffman77087 Former Guest

What about the nail polish on the primers & case neck?
  8. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I don't and have had no problems.
  9. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

i have done that and it works well!!! Left it sit in a class of water over night and it fired just fine.
  10. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

+1 on that. WWII surplus ammo cans. 50 cal as well as 30 cal cans.
  11. Willie

Willie Active Member

All good to know. I was watching this thread because I had the same concern. Thanks for the answers.
  12. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I recently acquired an old mauser that has been rebarreled in .244 With it a also acquired about 200 rounds of reloaded ammo with dates on the boxes in the mid 70's. I think I will pull the bullets and salvage the brass without trying someone elses recipes with that much age on them.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I think that this would be a really good idea if you expecting to get your ammo wet, say a flood or something like that. Otherwise, I don't see a need for sealing the primers, and case neck.
  14. cutter

cutter New Member

I have Korean surplus and it shoots great. I have not had a misfire. It is 30-06 and 30 Carbine. So I guess if it kept dry it will last longer than we will be here.