Long term storage in plastic cases OK?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by RAJBCPA, Oct 5, 2012.

1. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

I have accumulated several plastic rifle/shotgun storage cases recently. Some are single and others are double. These are the ones that are under $50 with the foam cusion inside.

Are these OK for long term storage and will they impede rust formation or is it better to let air circulate around guns for rust prevention?

Thx
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Never store in a case.
  3. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

Thx ...why? do plastic cases cause rust?
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Don't do it. I did it and my gun rusted. Also don't leave a revolver in a holster for a long time. It will rust. Did that also.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Never store in a plastic hard case (with or without a foam liner) unless you also have a dessicant packet in to absorb the moisture. Actually, the same applies to a gun safe too...be sure you've got something to absorb the moisture out of the air.
    They don't allow airflow around the metal and any moisture that's inside when you close it up will stick around.

Same applies to the foam liner (or even the synthetic gun rugs). These will hold moisture right against the metal and it'll rust even faster. Evn if you oiled the metal before storage, the foam will rub some of it off and you'll get a mottled rust finish that matches the pattern of the foam. Not pretty!

And unless you're in a really dry environment, I would also use a thicker grease/oil or cosmoline type product to seal moisture away from the firearm if it's truly long-term storage. Short-term, like a few months or less, you can use pretty much any gun oil.

Personally, I've got several hunting rifles that regularly get a coat of automotive paste wax. Helps keep the moisture from snow/rain out in the field from starting rust. Also helps with off-season storage rust prevention too.
  6. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

That foam holds moisture. It's like a rust machine for firearms. I've seen reports of guns rusting totally within a month of being stored in a foam lined case.

There are specially designed cases where you can store guns without worrying about rust but the cheap ones are not in that category. They generally use cloth instead of foam and they have some sort of silicone treatment to prevent them from retaining moisture and holding it against the firearm. I don't even know where to buy those cases but I know my friend has several of them. You can bet they aren't cheap though.
  7. markfh

markfh New Member

Ditto on the plastic and foam. I use silicon treated knit gun socks for rifles and pistols in my safe. They also help to keep from scratching the firearms when moving them around.

Those that I don't plan on shooting for long periods I use renaissance wax on instead of car wax. It's the wax that most museums use and it has no contents hazardous to the firearms.
  8. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Wow I did not know this, and always wondered how our guns got a tiny layer of powdery rust even after oiling everything... So where can I get dessicant packets to absorb moisture?
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

As Sam says.....
    never store in any gun case !!!!!!
    A gun safe is bad enough, if you don't take the
    proper precautions.
    AND........
    ALWAYS coat your firearms with SBGO......
    [never seen anything that comes close]
    No matter how/where you store them !
    GET YOU SOME......you will not regret.
    www.silverbulletgunoil.net
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

About 7 years ago I had several guns sitting on a "Toolbox" liner, the liner was from craftsman. The handguns were sitting on the liner for about a week and I could not believe my eyes. Every one of the revolvers had rust forming on the front sights. I had to use steel wool and Rem Oil to get the rust off. Also, I have seen guns that were stored in plastic boxes that have rust on the hammer.