1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

long term storage - silicone or gun oil?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 9 fingers, Jul 17, 2009.

1. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

This might be a dumb question but for long term gun storage, maybe 1 to 10 years, is it best to wipe the gun down with a silicone cloth and put it away or better to wipe it down with Rem oil or Hoppes oil? Or oil it and then put it in one of those silicone socks? I have my pre 1900 guns stored in the socks in a hard case but want to know the best way to store the ones that may sit for a few years because I just don't get around to shooting them all.
    Thanks, 9 fingers
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

what you have described should work upwards of ten years i would think
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

When I get a new hardcase with the foam inserts, I spray them with silicone lubricant. This cuts down on the moisture retension a LOT. Go easy, it can get messy if you are using the case for transport to the range, For long term storage, I don't think you care all that much.

Pops
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Guns should never be stored in the hard cases with foam. Oils deteriorate the foam, the foam attracts moisture, and the case has no airflow.
  5. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

I stumbled across G96 Gun Treatment a number of years ago when I having a severe surface rusting issue with a particular Thompson Center Contender pistol. I tried all sorts of gun oils and other such surface protecting products with only limited success. The G96 protectant contains a number of highly viscous (and pleasant smelling) natural oils which do a good 10 year 'in the case' protecting job. I sprayed the G96 onto a clean rag and wiped the firearms down. If you spray the firearms directly, allow time for the volatile aerosol carrier to evaporate. I then placed the guns into synthetic cases or synthetic gun rugs and placed those into a pretty dry humidity controlled environment. Make sure that you cover every nook and cranny on the firearm and you'll be good to go.