Long Tom?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ms6852, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

I have a 12 gauge shotgun with a very very long barrel. The only markings on it is Long Tom. According to my cousin it was a fun gun to shoot but it no longer does. Is it worth the money getting this old thing to shoot? I can not find a serial or model number anywhere on this gun.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The Long Tom was a cheap single-barrel shotgun sold from the 1890s to the 1920s. It was probably made by the Batavia company in Batavia, New York. They made a lot of shotguns for both Sears & Montgomery Ward. Unless the metal's in absolutely pristine condition, it's probably not worth finding a stock & forearm for it. It'll cost you about as much to have the thing restocked by a gunsmith as it would cost you to buy a new, much more reliable single-shot shotgun. If you're determined & you're a skilled woodworker, Dixie Gun Works (www.dixiegunworks.com) has stock and forearm blanks for sale. If you have all the hardware--& you're a skilled woodworker--you can probably make some of their stuff fit.
  3. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

I thought as much, it does not need any stock work done and the barrel is quite good close to excellent shape. I just was not sure if it was worth getting the firing pin fixed. The barrel seems very thin to my liking and I personally would not feel comfortable shooting it. I'll let my cousing know and see if he wants to spend the time and money on it. Thanks for the info.
  4. RJay

RJay Active Member

Grew up with a Sears Long Tom. Nothing wrong with it, very strong shotgun took a lot of game. Remember, theres a big difference between inexpensive and cheap made. Several firms made the Log Tom for Sears, from the 1930s it was made by Stevens ( compare it to Stevens old Model 94). If he has the old firing pin it would take a machinist about 20 minutes to make one, Heck, I make one in high school shop. very simple pin. Fix it, shoot it, enjoy it.:)
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Watch the chamber length. Many of the older shotguns are chambered for shorter than 2 1/2" shells. And, the advent of full (folded star) crimp rather than roll crimp made this even more troublesome.

Pops
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    One more bit of advice, don't shoot high brass shells in your Long Tom. Back when that gun was made shells were not loaded to the pressures that they are today. Shoot only low brass shells, IE, field loads. My brother has one that was he bought off my sisters husband, and was given to him by his dad. I have worked on the gun several times and they are easy to repair. Great gun for birds and squirrels!
  7. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker New Member

Long Tom. "Trade Brand Name" shotgun made by one of two makers. J. Stevens Arms Company (used on their Models 90 and 95) or Meridian Fire Arms Co. Made for and sold by Sears Roebuck & Co. If made by Stevens, made after 1915. If made by Meridian made sometime between 1905 and 1915. Value depends on condition and will range from about $250 for a factory new condition to less than $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk that might make a good tomato stake.
  8. mtdburnett

mtdburnett New Member

I have a Long Tom. Great condition, 40" bbl. Does anyone have an owners manual for it and/or know how to remove the forearm. I'd like to do a detailed cleaning. Since they apparently aren't worth much, I might like to reblue and refinish the stock. Would be attractive over the fireplace.
  9. mtdburnett

mtdburnett New Member

Re: Long Tom ?

Never mind. I figured it out and have since reblued the barrel, refinished the stock, cleaned it up as best i could. Gun looks great and is a lot easier to operate minus the gunk and with a little new oil. Figured it wasn't worth much as a collectable so decided to restore it. Really didn't need more than cosmetic/preservative work. Nicely made and simple.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Ms6852, if your gun is in reasonably good shape, it should be worth having the firing pin replaced. But some of those guns were made in the era when smokeless powder was just coming in, and Damascus barrels were still common. So if you plan to fire the gun, make sure it is safe with ANY modern ammo.

Also, is the firing pin broken, or just missing? In that era, many owners who had old shotguns they knew were unsafe removed the firing pins to make sure the gun couldn't be fired. Before replacing the firing pins, we should consider that they might have been smarter than we are.

Jim
  11. j6sranch

j6sranch New Member

I have a 16 gauge long tom shotgun number 211684 that has no manufacturer listed on the gun. I need a "open lever" for it and a butt plate. The open lever broke and it was brass welded to put it back into operation, but will not hold for long. I no longer shoot the gun because of its age, but would like to restore it to good condition. Can you tell me where I could possibly find these two parts for this gun? Thank You very much.