Long two days ahead

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Insulation Tim, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After putting off getting a colonoscopy for 65 years, I decided to get one tomorrow. A friend of mine, as stubborn as I (and many men) just died this week from colon cancer at age 55. Ten years younger than me, and ostensibly, looking at him, much healthier.

Today is clear liquids only followed by the prep medication at 6 PM. The I think that you spend the next 4 - 6 hours making sure you have access to the bathroom. I don't think that I've ever gone all day without solid foods. Tomorrow is clear liquids only, with the procedure at 1:30. Home by 4 or 5, then theoretically I can eat again.

I am a perpetual grazer, always roaming around and eating small pieces of whatever is handy. I need to be real cognizant about that for the next 2 days.
  2. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Bummer, but good for you that your getting it down. Thankfully I'm a few years away from having to start getting them.
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Boy, you are going to have fun...... Make the bathroom comfortable. You wont be leaving it once you go in. If you think you have gas, you dont. Also, dont plan a big meal for afterwards. And I would avoid greasy mess. Better hope you dont have friends like me there while you are doing this. You will be heckled. 'Least that is what I did when I was over at a friend's house who was doing this. Me and his wife gave him fits. One of these days, I'll be paid back in full, but not soon, I hope.
  4. geds

geds New Member

Don't go far from the toilet once you start the "drinking" or you WILL regret it! Go ahead and put some reading material handy. Relax and realize you will be spending a lot of time sitting there.

Also, once purged, you don't have to keep drinking more of the "go juice" - when the job is done. It is done!

The procedure is not bad. You will be asleep and won't remember any of it. The prep work - that is the uncomfortable part!

Good luck and I hope everything comes out alright! ;)
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  6. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Oh my God, REALLY? I know how you meant it, but couldn't you phrase it better:D
  7. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I hope all goes well with a good outcome. I'm 61 and have put the thing off myself. Maybe you'll inspire me to do it.
  8. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

Yeah, I had one a couple of years ago and everything was fine. However, in spite all the funny guys on this thread the process can best be described as annoying not painful. They said I would be occupying the throne 8 to 12 times. I did 11 trips. The actual exam was with some joy-juice and I was out like a light for about 13 minutes. If anyone out there is a candidate for one of these don't let fear get in the way. There is no cutting and the recovery is real quick.

The most common question related to this procedure is, "You're going to stick a camera where?".
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

So.....
    as usual....
    we always want pics here on TFF.....:rolleyes:
  10. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

All I have to say for you guys who are putting it off: Good luck, you are playing with a loaded gun.

If you ever get colorectal cancer you will be wishing to God that you wouldn't have put off the test.

The test is easy and the day before is just a little hastle. If you are over 50 and haven't been tested, call your Doctor tomorrow and get an appointment, do not put it off another day.

Insulation Tim, better late than never, but good for you for finally taking the right step.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  11. rcairflr

Here is a picture of my wifes colon. She was 50 when she got her colonoscopy. I believe it was 16 polyps they had to removed. If we would have put it off a couple years, they would be treating her for cancer instead of polyps.

Here is another warning for those that haven't gotten tested: Don't be the idiot who didn't get tested and dies of colorectal cancer because you didn't take the time to get tested. Colorectal cancer is preventable, you have no one to blame but yourself if you get it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  12. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Is that the recommended age to getting one? I am 43 and haven't had one yet. Getting old sucks!
  13. rcairflr

Yes, 50 is the recommended age. I got mine at 48 because I had some bleeding, but it ended up being a internal hemorroid. I was clean and don't need one again until I'm 59.

If your family has a history of colorectal cancer, the recommeded age is earlier, I'm not sure what it is though.
  14. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think that it is 50 unless there is a strong family history of CR Cancer (of which there has been none in my family).

Thanks for the support. I basically knew that todaythe procedure is pretty easy BUT it's the night before prep that I dread. Books are loaded in every bathroom in the house.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Just had my 5th one done last month. Please do not put this off, it's not that bad, and it will save your life! My son, DIL, and grandson drover over from Ft. Worth for a visit, that same afternoon that I had to start the go lightly. About the same time it hit me my grandson fell in the boat and split his upper lip wide open. DIL, and son, took him to the hospital. I want to go too, but I just couldn't get that far from the throne! We also burried a good friend last month, Jimmy was 56 years old when he passed. Colon cancer. He fought it with cemo, and radition treatments for 5 years. Have you ever watched someone go thru this?