Longevity in service...

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/3/02 11:29:57 pm)
    Reply Longevity in service...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since we are coming up on the 100th anniversary of the M1911/1911A1 being in US Service...(Browning 1905?) I got to thinking...

How many weapons or weapons systems can we name that have stayed in service, issued, to the armed forces of the country that first issued it, either front-line, or "substitute standard," for that long of a time?

Let's keep it from like 1865 to the present, I know we can claim the 'Brown Bess" for like 200 years, or the short sword from antiquity, but how many can we list that lasted that long in "modern times?" Let's say at least 50 years....

I'm thinking maybe the Ma Deuce, what, first designed in 1919 and still going strong, first line issue still? The Russian Maxim I THINK is still in service with the reserves at least, we have the Mosin Nagant or Variant from 1891 until 1990s (sniper) in Russian service....and the Swiss still issue the Model 1905 BICYCLE to their Army...

What other's can we name?

And oh yeah, trivia time, can you name the US Issue rifle/musket that was in front line service, "standard issue," longer than ANY other rifle or musket back as far as 1776? And saw use in more wars/conflicts than any other as well?
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/4/02 8:56:43 am)
    Reply Re: Longevity in service...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You're fudging on the 1911, Polish. Colt submitted the '05 to the Springfield Armory for evaluation but it was rejected. Colt put it on the civilian marked as the "Army Model", but that name was just typical Colt sales hype. It went thru many modifications and several competitive trials before it was accepted in 1911.

How about the B-52, does that count? That sucker may still be around in 2102.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/4/02 11:51:00 am)
    Think the M-16 has been the longest service rifle in the US.

The '03 was used as a sniper weapon even into Viet Nam.

The M2 .50 cal certainly is a candidate - still going strong with no sign of phasing out.

Yup - that ol' B-52 bomber will get a vote from me! 'Bout the same with the C-130 Herc and the C-47. Ageless planes.

"Keep Off The Ridgeline"

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/4/02 12:05:26 pm)
    Well, hey, if it doesn't have to be an actual hand-held firearm, let's include the nukes that we have sitting underground. They've been "in service" for over 50 years now.

Maybe the Mauser too. I understand the Swiss reserve units are required to keep them and dust them off once a year for practice. I could be wrong though.
    Aus dem Panzer heraus und lassen einen Erwachsenen fahren, treten taube Testikel.

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/02 6:47:35 am)
    Reply Nukes
    Sniper1952, we have had nukes for the last 57 years, but the ones in service today are different models than those used/available in the 40's and 50's.

The nukes available in the 50's were very heavy, and required a really big bomber to carry. Todays nukes are much smaller. The Army's first Nuke cannon was a 280mm monster that required two men to drive one in the front and one in the back like a fire truck. Since at least the 70's the Army has had nukes that could be fired through a 155mm and 8" howitzers. Virtualy any fighter can carry todays smaller nuke bombs.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/02 8:47:28 am)
    Reply Re: Nukes
    Oh, I was talking about the ICBMs that we have sitting in underground silos. I don't know exactly how old they are, or if they're even the same ones. I just remember hearing once that they were severely outdated and that no one is really sure if they would even launch if needed. They maintain them very well, from what I understand, but it's not like you can launch it and return it to make sure....
    Sie lesen deine Gedanken, und bohren in dein Gehirn. Feind hört mit....

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/6/02 11:53:13 pm)
    Reply Re: Nukes
    Yeah the M16 has been "Officially" the issue weapon longer than any other in history, BUT only if you consider the 03 as "replaced" by the M1 in 1936, the year it was adopted, BUT it was still "Limited Standard" as late as 45, some units hitting the beach at Normandy carried it, not just snipers, whole units in Italy carried it to the end of the war, and it shouldered on as a sniper and rifle grenade launcher well into the 50s...

But then you have to consider the two years it was replaced by the Model 1917 Enfield, nobody but the Marines carried it in WWI.

But still a good showing for the "Mattel Rifle" that everybody wants to trash.

How about the Sidewinder? Yeah, kind of light, only developed in the 50s, but with upgrades it's STILL the best AtoA heat seeker ever...you do NOT want to try to design a competing missile, EVERY new one every made gets beat by another upgrade, for about 1/4 of the cost of the new missile.

The classic was when we gave the "new" Aim9Ls to the Brits right before the Falklands...that was really why the Sea Harriers did so well against the Mirages...I read a quote from an RAF pilot at the time...he said a flagpole could win a dogfight if it had an AIM9L!

The Hawk is about the same story.

How about the F4 Phantom? Isn't it still used as Wild Weasels? And flown by a good pilot, probably AS GOOD as anything except the 15 and 16 in the entire WORLD yet....

But, yeah, I stretched it with the 1905, but still, that one gets my goat...it only got "replaced" by the Booretta after the SECOND trials were fixed (it beat the Beretta in the first ones, even "off the rack" 40 year old ones against new "tweaked" M92s), Beretta promised to build a plant here, and made some payola...how much you want to bet the 1911A1 will STILL be "limited issue" in the USArmy long after the last Booretta is scrapped? Not bad considering except for the Officer's Model, the Army hasn't bought a new one since 1945!!!

I'm kinda thinking the designs to which all other of it's type are compared...

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"