Longines .32 ACP

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by The Rebel, Jul 31, 2009.

1. The Rebel

The Rebel New Member

I have a Longines .32 ACP pistol and am looking for "Dismounting" information and some "History" on this unusual pistol. :)
    It's a Spanish Pistol made by Cooperative Oberal of Eibar, Spain and think it was made in 1927 and the serial number is 87201. I understand this pistol was used in either the Spanish Civil War and / or by the Germans in WWII.
    Thanks In Advance For Any Information On This Pistol :D

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Cooperativa Obrera ( Workers cooperative ) only made one pistol, the Longines. Copy of the 1910 Browning ( use that for a breakdown ), a typical Eibar type .32 . Used in the Spanish Civil war? possible, anything and every thing was used . By the Germans? only if one of the Condor League picked one up as a souvenir. Even they were not desperate enough to use these soft steel Spanish " Ruby Type" pistols as a issue item. { They did use Astra's and Stars, but a different breed of cat }. Since the Co-op did not survive the Civil war ( they were on the wrong side) There really isn't much more information on your pistol. Value , I've seen them at gun shows at 125 to 150. If you shoot it , remember there are no spare parts and soft steel was used in their manufacture so parts will wear fast. As far as use in any type of combat, that is only a story and unless you have provenance, only a good story and adds nothing to the value.
  3. The Rebel

The Rebel New Member

RJay,

Thanks for the information Sir. Learning more ~
  4. The Rebel

The Rebel New Member

Ron,

Also, I just acquired the "Longines" as a Curio & Relic and do not plan on shooting it. Thanks Again For The Inormation Sir !

Rick
  5. RJay

RJay Active Member

The Spanish " Eibar " or Ruby type guns are interesting, still cheap enough to collect, and there are many different types. They have their faults but even so they are fun to collect. Most of the makers got their start in WWI as subcontractors on the the French contract { the Ruby Contract } for service guns. After the war they still had the small shops but no market, so some enterprising individual found there was a market in the US. So every one cranked up their tools and boat loads were shipped to the US. The Spanish Civil War put an end to the industry, Of those still alive, Franco only allowed 4 of the largest makers ( they were on his side ) to resume making guns. There are two types of these firearms, Automatics and revolvers made under contract and used by the French called " Ruby's". Revolvers were even purchased by the British and one contract even went to Mexico. After the Great War to end all wars, The small makers started making the Eibar type ( some call them Ruby Types which really is incorrect ) . These were made from 1921 to 1936. Along with small automatics they also made Colt and S&W look alike, however no parts will interchange with the real McCoy. Like I said very interesting, there's a lot if information out there on these firearms. Good Luck :)
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009