LOOK OUT

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gpostal, Feb 22, 2004.

1. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

ok i did it ,got me a new dilion 550b {thanks gunguy for the advice}

i got the works ,don't want to go into how much it cost ,so look out guys i will be picking your brains ,armedandsafe don't worry i got the lyman 48th addition ,and will read it backwards forewards several time ,people will mistake it for a bible

i do have a friend close by that has been loading for 20 years plus to assist if neede in a jam ,i will also have him run me through it the first few times

ok heres a few to pick your brains

i only got the .45acp die ,and this will be what i shoot the most ,so whats your

favorite best clean powder?

i will pay more for not haveing a bunch of powder all over me and my gun

right now i have some old brass ,{tumbling as i type},not that i am ready to load it today,

what brass do you guys prefer?

bullets?

primers are a no brainer

here is what i want out of my reloads

nothing really hot ,same 230 grain bullet load ,i keep in my gun for home defense
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Way to go Postal. Congrats on a very fine machine. Can't go wrong with Dillon!

Did you get a taper crimp die? If so, then set it to taper crimp the mouth until the mouth measures .469" and you will never have a feed problem.

Powder? WW231 at 5.1 grains or Bullseye 5.0 grains

Federal, bar none! Either regular or gold medal match! Strongest brass I ever used.

Depends. For target shooting I use a H&G #68 200 gr LSWC (your barrel chamber needs to be throated for these). For defense, I use Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok HP's or WW black Talons if you can find them! I beleive that they took the black coating off and now call them SXT's. Still a Talon, but not black.

WW or Federal only!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  3. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

thanks plano

i know this thing is a ***** to set up for the first time ,i got the
    un prime/prime station , bell/powder station working fine ,but getting the seating station has proven to be a task ,the die i have {dillon} doesn't have a set screw ,it only has the nut to tighten it down ,and getting it exact at 1.275 sucks

i done figured out i will deprime prior to primming {and cleaning},i don't care for the chance of missing a deprime ,then forcing a live primer into the unremoved spent primer , also if you leave in the spent primer a tiny chunk of corncob wants to make it self at home in the inside of the primer
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

For target/plinking, I use cast 200 gr. SWC (RCBS 45-200-SWC-82046) with 3.5 to 3.7 gr. of Bullseye. Start off at about 3.4 and work up .1 gr until you find the load that your particular gun likes the best.

For home defense, in the 230 grain category.....get a nice SJHP and use 6.0 to 6.5 gr. of Unique.

I prefer surplus GI brass.....with light to medium loads, it lasts forever. For best/most consistant results, see if you can buy a bunch of same make, same year.

Good luck.....
  5. ACC

ACC New Member

gpostal:
    Congrats,and welcome to the world of reloading:) 5.6 grains of 231 is a great load for the 230 grain bullet. for new brass i prefer Starline. for practice bullets I would go with a copper plate. West Coast Bullet ,they are a little more than lead,but the benifits out weigh the price:) I use winchester primers,never had a FTF with them. If you use "once fired" brass,stay clear of head stamp AMERC.very soft brass. Hope this helps you out.
    C&R AMMO

edited url - tuckerd1
  6. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Actually, you are thinking of the Ranger round of ammo. The SXT is completely different from the Black Talon round. But, if I remember correctly, I think the Ranger line of ammo has SXT in the product code, right?

I still have a box of .45acp Black Talons, but sorry, it's not enough to share.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'll say it again, the SXT is the now politically correct bullet and is the same as the horrible Black Talon and Ranger. Check it out below.

Winchester Talon/SXT/Ranger
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I did'nt realize there was a problem with Win silvertips seperating from their jackets?

I like the silvertips.....every test i've done with them seem to be pretty good..

I like the 9mm 115 grain for my Glock 19c..

mike
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

GP, congratulations on joining the fraternity. You're hooked now, lad. :D

I use Bullseye and RedDot pretty much interchangeably in my small pistol cartridges.

Pops
  10. Silencer

The photo of the two bullets at the web link you provided backs what I claim. They're completely different. Look carefully (pic below), and you will see the bullet on the right is the Black Talon that has the trade mark 3 claw "talon" design, but the bullet on the left doesn't.

When Winchester came out with the Black Talon, I did some testing with wet newspaper, and the bullet had very sharp "talons" that made a massive shredding effect on the paper. The bullet could easily prick into your skin, causing you to bleed. After Winchester came out with the SXT round, I once again tested to see if it was the same bullet. It was not. It lacked the sharp 3 claw "talon" design that the Black Talon had. The metal on the bullet wasn't sharp enough to cut open your hand.

Unless Winchester snook in the older design, something I hoped they would do, it is still the original SXT bullet which is different to the Black Talon.

The Ranger round is the exact same bullet design as the Black Talon. The only difference is the absence of the black molly bullet coating, making the bullet appear copper colored.

[​IMG]
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Here is what it said.

Winchester SXT/Ranger/Black Talon
    The Winchester "Law Enforcement line" work consistently well. The .40's on the right are the old "Black Talon" (now the politically-correct SXT). All calibers stayed together and stayed in the phone books. Obviously the cop ammo is made to significantly higher specs than the civilian fodder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  12. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

OK YOU GUYS ARE GETTING WAY OFF TOPIC HERE {LOL}

is bullseyes really clean burning i have heard yes and no

i will stick with the winchester primers ,and probably brass

one more step on my setup and i will be in production ,i had to replace my old desk with a bench ,i got a nice bench with a back board at sears last night ,now i have to set it up and mount my machine to it
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Postal,
    I have never used Bullseye, but I have heard nothing but good about it. It is really a good powder for a .45. I'll bet Shooter45 would reccommend Bullseye. I just prefer WW231 as I have two 8 lb kegs of the stuff. Need to get rid of those first.

WW primers are also good. Only used WCC brass as far as Winchester brand. Sounds like you'll do fine. Try the Bullseye and go from there.
  14. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Bullseye is a good powder. Loaded some good accurate loads for 45. But it is much dirtier than 231.
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Tuck, is it like Unique? That is one dirty powder unless of course you try 2400!
  16. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Dan, I use only WW 231 in all my .45 ACP loads.

I have used Bullseye in the past, it just shoots too dirty in my pistols.
  17. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

It is pretty dirty, but not quite as bad as unique.
  18. Silencer

Whomever wrote that article is misleading the facts. Black Talon is now Ranger. SXT is a unique line of civilian ammo that replaced the Black Talon line. This writer incorreclty labled the SXT bullet as a "civilian fodder, politically-correct" version of the Black Talon round, which we all know by now, isn't true. He/she should have never compared the two. They're two completely different bullet designs.
  19. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

GP: I've had real good luck with the 200gr SWC sold by Dillon. The Meister is consistant and gives good results. The are mfg in Phoenix by Bullet Meister. The spelling my be wrong.

I usually use WW primers and have had good luck with them. I usually use 231 in 45cal but have used Rem when WW was not available.

Adjusting overall length can be a pain in the neck. I get a rough setting and then fine tune it as I have something in all four stations of the press as it will vary slightly.

Good loading

Smoky the handle puller
  20. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

all is going well , i got the auto primer working right ,every thing else is working corect ,i loaded a couple of hundred so far with two different bullet types ,and three different charges ,i only ruined two bullets it happened in the seating die ,i don't know if it was the way i put them in the case ,or if i am not getting enough bell ,i really think it is the way i set them in or more would have done it

i figured a good use for my amt

re-load tester