Look what I found........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bard, Jan 19, 2005.

1. bard

bard New Member

this morning out in the back.......I was digging a hole for a new bare root Nectarine tree and this old Morgan silver dollar came up. I actually didn't know what it was until I took it in and cleaned some of the goop off. Then, I polished it with my silver polish. Kind of neat. :p :p
    Any websites where I could find out how many thousands of dollars it's worth? ;) ;) :) :) Also, please excuse the wide screen. I'm afraid to try and reduce it. :eek: :eek:
    Thanks,
    bard

Attached Files:

2. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Here is a smaller version, but you can't read the date.

[​IMG]
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Awesome find! All I can ever find on my property is old bottles (probably from the late 1800s or early 1900s). Indian artifacts are found all over the place around here, but I've never stumbled on one.
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I also took the liberty of editing your original picture to get rid of the extra unnecessary stuff and focus on the coin. Hope you don't mind.
  5. juju

juju New Member

Try this link

http://www.fastcoin.com/mrgdlrs.htm

might give you an idea.

PS, by the look of the front of the coin its in really good shape.

Did you keep digging to see if there are more, lots of oldtimes used to bury the old coins for a rainy day.

I know a guy that found one like you did, digging for a tree and borrowed a metal detector, he found 30 more in the same general area.

JuJu(you lucky dog you)
  6. fishermanben

fishermanben New Member

yep, you need a metal detector. Who knows what may be burried out there. I think that treasure hunting is the most childlike fun an adult can have.

Ben
  7. gbeggrow

gbeggrow New Member

That's awesome! Kind of cool to find hidden treasure in your own back yard.....valuable or not, still neat!
  8. bard

bard New Member

Dadgum it!! I have never been known to seize opportunities. I didn't even think to look for more coins. My tree might be resting on a fortune. I'm thinking of going out and yanking it back out and looking. On the other hand, I have a metal detector and I might just search around it.
    juju......thanks for the link. I'll look into it.
    1952....I don't mind. Thanks.

If I find more, I'll let you know. If not, I won't be disappointed. Probably not as much as the old guy who dropped his weeks wages while walking along the river bottom. Where my backyard is was all riverbank years ago.
    bard
  9. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Wow...nice find...Bet there is a great story behind how it got there, but we'll never know..

No, wait. I lost that when I was there two years ago. Yeah I remember lol.

I'd have it mounted and hang it on the wall.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's worth about $45 bcks. Let us know when you find out.
  10. bard

bard New Member

This Morgan dollar was minted in Philadelphia, according to the marks on the back. I looked it up on the website that juju gave me and it was listed as about $15 for the lowest grade and $56 for very fine condition. Then, I called the local coin shop and discribed it to old Bob, who owes me two fishing trips, and he said that $49 would be probably a good estimate of its worth. This is cool....no matter what it's worth, I'm going to display it with my collection of old fishing lures....Life is good. :D :D :D :D
  11. Carl S

Carl S New Member

Great find!! :D
  12. texshooter

texshooter New Member

great find. appears to grade xf. about $14.00 - 18.00 around here.

info only: if you find any more, wash them under running water and a little dish washing liquid, rubbing the coin with your fingers only.

If it is a keepsake , polish it and enjoy. polishing takes away collector resale value.

keep digging... :)
  13. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

wow!! that's neat!! congrats to you! :)
  14. groundhogdevastation

groundhogdevastation New Member

Another one of ol' GHD's, "more fun than eatin beans" deals.....finding old coins!!! But has been said in another post, don't use the silver polish on the coin! It's a personal treasure for you and your family now but if it had been a truly rare and collectible specimen and you had used a cleaner or polish on it, you just cut the value immensely!! GHD PS: I might sell a gun and get me a metal detector!!!!
  15. bard

bard New Member

texshooter.....only $14? :( I still love it. :D :D Too bad I didn't know about the silver polish, but I will know the next time. I am just going to keep it and pass it on down to the grandkids anyway. Of course, right now, they are rolling their eyes because I interrupted Spongebob to show them the coin. I hate kids.....
    GHD...I just read your post. My old metal detector is a Garret and is over 30 years old but still works and it cost several hundred dollars then. But, I'm going to buy me a more modern one with all the discriminators on it, etc. I just have to get some idea of which one to buy for just looking for coins and stuff like that....... :) :) :)
    bard
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005