Look What I Killed Yesterday !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by USNative, Jun 25, 2012.

1. USNative

USNative New Member

Hey Guys, I was out irrigating the hay field yesterday morning when I walked up on this Prairie Rattler. Good thing I was watching because he was coiled up but did not rattle at all. :eek: A few more steps and not watching the little bugger would have bit me for sure. This is the first one of the season for me. It has been a dry year and the irrigating around here is attracting them to the water areas. Looks like I will need to be extra careful this year.

This guy was about 28" long and about 2" around. He had 5 buttons on him. Don't know why he never rattled but he was coiled up so he definitley knew I was coming up on him. There was a guy last year that had the same thing happen to him but unfortunatley he was not as lucky as I was. He walked up to open a gate and there were two of em there and they both bit him. He ended up in the hospital for a while but he made it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I miss not having snakes here in Alaska. We had relatives in North Dakota many years back and they got huge rattle snakes, like almost as big as the ones in East Texas, well not that big; but I was still impressed. I wonder how the take the cold weather in Montana?
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Scary stuff there, for me anyways! Not afraid of them but afraid of what they can do.
    Had a close call with a copperhead as a young'en, and have been a bit "shy" of both
    the Rattle Sanke and Copperhead.
    I was watching a program on tv, not sure what channel it was, but they were talking
    about how the Rattle snake wont always warn ya. They guy on the program walked right
    up to it and would have stepped on it if he'd not seen it, no warning at all.
  4. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i dont like spiders or snakes
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good eye Native.
  6. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I got a small timber rattler last Tuesday. I have only had one rattler that rattled at me and I have dealt with over a hundred over the years. I average about five or six a year
  7. geds

geds New Member

Nice job keepin the keen eye out! Glad you got him before he got you!
  8. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

Jim Stafford wrote a song about that
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what does the amount of buttons mean?
  10. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I haven't noticed an increase in snakes but the scorpion population has exploded for some reason......
  11. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What are you going to do with the skin? Belt...hat band...watch band..??
  12. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Just got this one a few minutes ago.:eek:

[​IMG]
  13. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Not much, Beth ! A rattlesnake gets a "new button" every time it sheds, but they also break them off so all the number tells you is how many times its shed its skin recently. FWIW, a snake's skin doesn't "grow" as the snake grows inside it so it periodically "sheds" its confining garment like a lady skinning out of a corset or girdle. Depending upon the food supply and their growth, a snake may shed several times in a season. >MW
  14. USNative

USNative New Member

Everyone around our area are saying it's going to be a bad year for snakes. almost everyone in our area including us are irrigating either hay fields or some kind of crop. It brings the snakes in when they want water and it's dry.

I lived in another town in Montana for 11 years and never ran into one snake. I killed one last year and now this year in this area. I will just have to keep my awareness at a pretty high level it looks like. Never saw any on our place last season although I had been told by a neighbor when we first moved here that they were around. Well, now I know they are as I got this kill to prove it.

Raven was asking what I was going to do with the skin, well I actually cut the buttons off to keep but chucked the snake after. Never even thought about skinning him. Maybe someday I will skin one and make something with it. LOL !!! :D

Oh and I did get my dog Cody his rattlesnake vaccination and he got the follow up shot today. He was with me when I ran into this snake but he is very obedient and stayed away when I told him to.

Hey Slabsides, is that a water moccasin ? Looks like it to me. :eek:
  15. Grizz

Grizz Member

Nice kill! I just got me one too a couple weeks ago!
  16. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Isn't rattlesnake a delicacy for some people? I hear it tastes like chicken. I almost got to have some a while back, but the boy who was supposed to be watching it decided he didn't want any so threw it into the fire.
  17. garydude

garydude Member

Nice job Native. If I'm away from homes and people and the snake has the decency to rattle at me I usually give him a pass. But like you, when they don't they get dispatched. How did you take this one?
  18. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I'm going to have to educate the neighboor kids about Rattlers again, we live in an urban area right next to a hilly ridge (open area). So far, no kid has been bitten yet.

I had one in my back yard about 10 years ago that was about 5' long and as big around as my arm! I never saw him again (and never wanted to), but my neighbor saw several signs that he was around... they can get that big here.
  19. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    Don't you just hate snakes, i do which do you think would win in a fight a rattlesnake or a cottonmouth.
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Delicious. Did yall eat em? Snake is delicious dredged in cornmeal and fried like fish. Especially rattlesnake.