Lookin at Kahr 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mikld, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mikld

mikld Active Member

I seem to be looking at 9mm a lot lately (I have a Norinco Tokerev clone in 9mm that has kept me "9mm satisfied" for several years and I have my 45 ACP pistols for semi-auto shooting). But I have been reloading for my Tokerev a lot lately and am looking for another gun in 9mm. I like the looks of the Kahr CW9. Not sub-compact, but smaller than my 45s. Anyone have any experience/feedback on the Kahr CW9?
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I just got rid of a Kahr CW45. It was an OK shooter but I just didn't care for it. Kahr in my opinion is overpriced for what you get and they have a reputation for less than stellar customer service.

I did get one not long ago that I love, a Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm UC. A very solid piece, accurate, compact, and 13 rd cap.
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Before you open your wallet for any Kahr Arms product; read the Kahr customer service threads here and look at the pic in this link:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=32746&highlight=Kahr cracked slide

They fixed the gun of the guy in the above link for free and threw in a set of night sights for his trouble. Then their customer service and stand behind your products did an "about face". Shortly afterward they wanted to charge me about $200 to fix the exact same defect!

Today, I would only buy a Kahr under two conditions. First, it would have to be a used gun that I could test fire for function and accuracy. Second, it would have to be so cheap in price, that I could likely sell it to a gunshop at a profit the next day.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

There are way better guns than the CW series for the price. A while back Kahr used to stand behind their product and support it very well. Now its a pay for everything type of deal. The CW series is about the worst of all and Kahr has taken the "too bad so sad" approach with fixing any problems. I'm starting to put the CW series in the 500 round gun class meaning anything over 500 rounds w/o it breaking consider yourself lucky. I think so far this year I've gotten 2 broken slide stops, 2 broken trigger bars, a mag release that won't hold a mag (bc the spring for the mag release sits in a hole like the glocks and the hole enlarged from use reducing the spring tension) and 3 or 4 were the last round hold open does not work bc the slide stop likes to back out while shooting. This is contributed to the slide stop spring that is held in place by a small screw that like to loosen bc its screwed into plastic. So do as you will but I think you'll be happy finding something else.
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

An I am one thats been happy with the 2 kahrs I own. I have run 600 rounds thru each befor CC'n ether.I will do that with ever pistol I buy. The first one I bought was a used "problem" cw9 for the buyer. Been great for me. Round count is not real high as once they prove there relyable i only shoot 50 to a 100 rounds a month thru them. But my used cw9 has atleast 1250 rounds fired. The cm9 has around 850 now. Not a single issue with ether. Most of the real issues were with early pistols like most companies deal with . You also have to remember most people on these forums in general are only a very small percetage of owners of firearms. And then the people that that seem to have so many problems can be the loudest on the forums. Most of us can buy most any "problem firearm" and shoot them for years and never see anything wrong. ALL companies build some turds today as production is maxed out for most. But when s&w custom shop guns have the problems they do believe they all can.
  6. terminator

terminator Member

Don't buy a kahr the gun I have is fair at best and their customer service is awful !!!!
  7. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

My wife had a kahr cw45 and liked it, I myself hated the gun. Its now gone on to a new owner friend of mine that bought it from us and he loves it. Lots and lots of rounds through it and not a single problem. The reason for getting rid of it was my wife has very weak hands and had problems racking the slide. She is into a Sig P238 and loves that too. Its a nice little 380 and she can function the gun without any problems.
  8. terminator

terminator Member

Why did you hate it?
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I prefer an all metal pistol
  10. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

I do too, 3/2 STA SS. I have a steel framed Kahr 9mm (the short-run E9 model) and it has been a good gun - reliable and pleasant to shoot. It is actually somewhat more accurate than I would expect from a gun with a Glock type trigger, at least when I am the one pulling the trigger. I can't speak about customer service, because I've never had any trouble with it (also, I bought it used).

Just my $.02.
  11. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Do not let the beginning Out of The Box fool you
    They become slicker with shooting
  12. terminator

terminator Member

I hope your right, I do like the gun but the accuracy is worse then any gun I have ever shot and I have been shooting a long time.
  13. Pukindog12

Pukindog12 New Member

I purchased a Kel Tec PF9 to be my summer carry. To me it was a good gun. I went to find a 2nd one. Instead I purchased a Kahr CW9. I am glad I gave it a chance. I liked it so well I purchased another CW9 which came with 3 mags total (one is a 8 rounder). Now I have two CW9s and five mags between the two. These guns are simply great for me. I shoot them very accurately. Very mild recoil. I can get a full grip on the gun. It has a 3.6 inch barrel. No safety. A long but very smooth trigger pull. A little heavier than the PF9 but virtually the same size. Very reliable as I have had zero malfunctions from the two as of yet. I am totally happy and pleased with my CW9s.
  14. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

I'm 700+ rounds into my CW45. I had one FTF with steel cased stuff during the first 150 rounds. Flawless since. It is my carry gun which means I am willing to rely on it for my life and the lives of my loved ones.

I've never dealt with customer service. The pistol works so've never had a reason to contact them. I can't speak one way or another on it.

Claims regarding accuracy are irrelavant. 90% of all pistols will shoot better than the guy who bought it. If people aren't used to the trigger pull or don't find the grip comfortable they won't shoot well.

The "DA" pull on the trigger is smooth but has a sharp break at the end. Make sure you dry-fire practice to get used to it. I had to since I am used to 1911 triggers. My groupings have gone from 4in to 2in at 7 yards and they are getting better. Practice. Practice. Practice.
  15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You would think, with all the moolah they throw around

on advertising, that Kahr's CS would be good...