The Firearms Forum banner

Lookin for a CCW pistol....suggestions??

5K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Freightman 
#1 ·
hey all.. i've recently decided to put all of my other wants from my wishlist on hold to find and buy a CCW pistol. the caliber negotiable.. as long as its not smaller than 9x19. ive already talked to mike and he suggested the Glock 36 because i asked him his opinion on either the G30 or G36.. but, i went to Gander Mtn. yesterday and suprisingly found a knowledgeable salesman working in the firearms section. (retired Army with jobs ranging from MP to Heavy Equipment Operator).. we looked at A LOT of pistols and he helped, but not in the way i wanted.. he helped my brauden my search perameters... not narrow them:rolleyes: i looked at glock sub-compacts, 1911 Commander size .45s, full size 1911s and one that suprised me was the Kahr T9 9mm. i dont like the feel of the polymer Kahr's at all but this all metal with wood grips felt great in my hand. (it has a 4 inch barrel.. i just wonder if the 3.5 inch barreled K9 feels as good)

id like to hear from y'all now.. what do you carry? why? and what carry style works for you??

.......sorry for the long post..:eek:

#2 ·
IMHO, anything will work from .380 up. Personally, I like calibers that start with the #4.

#3 ·
I have been toying with the idea of buying a Kimber Carry 9 LDA that has been at the local shop for quit sometime. That thing was made for my hand! Super light, and you gotta love that 1911 style frame. During the summer I carry my old trusty PPK, but you wanted something bigger. Try out the Taurus revolvers in .38. I bought one for my mother with the titanium cylinder and barrel. I've got a Berreta Px4 Storm .40 if you want it.:)

#5 ·
Springfield XD .45 ACP , 13 +1 equals dead bad guy )
My Kel-Tec 9MM rides in my pocket all day long without much notice. I carry a P140 IWB and the 9MM in my pocket. The Taurus Millennium Pro series is very handy. They come in .380, 9MM, .40 & .45 ACP. Can't go wrong with'em.

#7 · (Edited)
Sig P239, 9mm, DA/SA and a Kel-Tec PF-9, 9mm, DAO for slipping in my pocket. LOVE my Sigs..........
really?? i couldnt tell by the user name:p;)

thanks for the speedy responses...

i already have an XD .357sig ..... what do y'all think about that as a CCW weapon. its the 4" service model... ive been meaning to buy a .40s&w barrel for it but havent gotten around to it yet...

#8 ·
i noticed all your choices were autos' but consider the poor lowly revolver. i have a choice as to what i carry. and own many a automatic , but i count on a ( right now) a smith and wesson model 37- nothing. yes it's old will not handle + p's but i trust it 100% i dont have to worry about light strikes not touching off and making my gun useless until i clear the chamber, i don't have to worry about failure to feed. rock solid and easy to pack. massive fire-power and the latest wonder bullet will not over shadow shot placement and 5 rounds will get me out of a jam or to an area where i can reload

#12 ·
its not that i dont like wheel guns oscar, and its not that i havent considered one...but im just a young pup.. ya gotta be patient with me. :p the auto just happen to be a bit thinner (for the most part) and imho easier to conceal... the way i dress (in clothes that actually fit me instead of the way most of todays dirtbags.. i.e. new generation dress with pants around their ankles and tshirts that'd fit the jolly green giant) i just dont see many places that a wheel gun could be placed except for around my ankle... maybe you can enlighten me with your age and wisdom???;):D:p

#13 ·
its not that i dont like wheel guns oscar, and its not that i havent considered one...but im just a young pup.. ya gotta be patient with me. :p the auto just happen to be a bit thinner (for the most part) and imho easier to conceal... the way i dress (in clothes that actually fit me instead of the way most of todays dirtbags.. i.e. new generation dress with pants around their ankles and tshirts that'd fit the jolly green giant) i just dont see many places that a wheel gun could be placed except for around my ankle... maybe you can enlighten me with your age and wisdom???;):D:p
Well I'm in my 50's and DO NOT dress like a "dirtbag" .... and have no problem at all carrying a revolver - either in my pocket or..... Look at some holsters from Rosen (WKM), Sherrick Custom , Tauris, or Mernickle. Any high-quality holster will make concealing a revolver simple ....

#15 ·
Doc, id like to apologize.. i wasnt implying anyone here was a dirt bag... now as far as being old.......?? ehhhh...........:p

thanks for the links :D

#17 ·
Doc, id like to apologize.. i wasnt implying anyone here was a dirt bag... now as far as being old.......?? ehhhh...........:p

thanks for the links :D
No need for an apology - I did not see that you were calling anybody HERE a dirt-bag - I interpreted that you did not dress according to how MANY (but not all) DBs dress - "new generation dress with pants around their ankles and tshirts that'd fit the jolly green giant." My point was that I DO NOT dress like this - a DB - and yet can conceal a revolver. :)

#19 ·
I carry a Walther P99 in 9x19. It's dependable and has fired everything I've ever loaded into it.

#20 ·
After having carried for 4 years I have to ask when/where you'd be carrying? The Commander would work GREAT in many scenarios, quick trips to Walmart, etc, but if you plan to carry at work I'd quickly opt for that S&W wheel-gun pictured... I have carried one much like it in the back pocket of my jeans, covered with a long t-shirt for four years and the comfort level is SO much better than a holster. Although, no firearm, in my line of work is going to be real comfortable.

Carrying in the back pocket WILL eventually rub a hole in the pocket, while at the same time, do a custom "melt job" to the piece which I think in time would slow down the wearing process on the jeans...

Just my .002

Crpdeth

#22 ·
After having carried for 4 years I have to ask when/where you'd be carrying?.....Crpdeth
well crpdeth...id be carrying every day, everywhere possible. since im not a sworn LEO yet i wouldnt be able to carry at schools, courthouses and federal buildings... but i dont go to many of those. so pretty much, the weapon would go on just like a wallet or car keys... just as soon as i get out of the shower..

#23 ·
ok relax,sit back and get ready to be enlightened :p. yes the bulk of a revolver isn't as easy to hide as an automatic, but they make excellent holsters. one reason i switched from a 6 shot colt to a 5 shot smith was the pocket holster. and if i happen to be wearing a tight pair of jeans i opt for the hip grip. but 90% of the time it's cotton dockers with ample pocket space. either a front pocket holster or a wallet type hip pocket holster. there are times when depending on my mode of dress these options do not work. so i have a back up plan, yes a ankle holster though it's my last choice, and a shoulder holster over a tee shirt with a dress shirt over that. harder to get my gun into action if needed but i use situational awareness, and avoid being in places and situations where i need a "hand on my gun" and at the ready. now in jacket weather which is 8 months out of the year a plain jane pancake style belt holster or a iwb holster does just fine. the "must have an auto craze" hasn't been around forever and scores of gun toters have used revolvers and have been able to hide them rather well. as mentioned in a prior reply to this post lots and lots of good holsters that will hide a revolver as well as any automatic made. that being said i choose a revolver because like 99.9% of the people who "carry" know the chances of getting into a fire fight is slim to none it's a peace of mind thing, and a revolver will get me out of most jams and back to a safe environment. if i were expecting trouble like maybe gary cooper in high noon i'd be packing 2 colt goverment models as a back up to a m1a1. but real world/street threats can be defused with smart planning, situational awareness and avoidance of "hot spots" and for those times when you're left no choice but to draw your weapon i highly doubt the bad gun will think less of you because you're whipping out a j frame 5 shot smith rather than a glock........

#24 ·
ok relax,sit back and get ready to be enlightened :p. yes the bulk of a revolver isn't as easy to hide as an automatic, but they make excellent holsters. one reason i switched from a 6 shot colt to a 5 shot smith was the pocket holster. and if i happen to be wearing a tight pair of jeans i opt for the hip grip. but 90% of the time it's cotton dockers with ample pocket space. either a front pocket holster or a wallet type hip pocket holster. there are times when depending on my mode of dress these options do not work. so i have a back up plan, yes a ankle holster though it's my last choice, and a shoulder holster over a tee shirt with a dress shirt over that. harder to get my gun into action if needed but i use situational awareness, and avoid being in places and situations where i need a "hand on my gun" and at the ready. now in jacket weather which is 8 months out of the year a plain jane pancake style belt holster or a iwb holster does just fine. the "must have an auto craze" hasn't been around forever and scores of gun toters have used revolvers and have been able to hide them rather well. as mentioned in a prior reply to this post lots and lots of good holsters that will hide a revolver as well as any automatic made. that being said i choose a revolver because like 99.9% of the people who "carry" know the chances of getting into a fire fight is slim to none it's a peace of mind thing, and a revolver will get me out of most jams and back to a safe environment. if i were expecting trouble like maybe gary cooper in high noon i'd be packing 2 colt goverment models as a back up to a m1a1. but real world/street threats can be defused with smart planning, situational awareness and avoidance of "hot spots" and for those times when you're left no choice but to draw your weapon i highly doubt the bad gun will think less of you because you're whipping out a j frame 5 shot smith rather than a glock........
i like that oscar...:p like i said.. im a young pup. i appreciate being enlightened. i believe im gonna have to make a lot more trips to the local candy store...:rolleyes:

#26 ·
doc that looks like a doosey..... ive never heard of the nighthawks.... you mind pullin an oscar and enlightening me?? :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.