lookin for a good size caliber

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Nameless, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I'm lookin for a good size caliber hunting rifle. I will be hunting deer with it at about 500yds, would like to mount a scope on it. I was thinking about going for .308. Please give me your advice on the subject.
  2. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

.308 is what i would go with. its a popular cartridge so there is no problem with ammo availability and you dont have to sell your first born child for a box. my "unbiased":p;):rolleyes: opinion for what rifle would be a Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather topped with a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope. either a 4x16x40mm with target turrits (which is whats on my hawkeye) or a 6x24x50mm with target turrits... but thats just my $0.02 :D hope ive helped
  3. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Yes you have, thank you very much my friend, but i have chosen a BSA scope for it, but it does not have the dimensions onit,but i have used it with other guns and know its capabilities.

BMP
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  4. islenos

islenos New Member

I agree, the .308 is hard to beat
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

my pleasure:D IMHO my hawkeye is the best investment in a long gun i have ever made... save the mossberg 88 mavrick i bought off a buddy for $60:eek:
  6. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

nice, but what if he wasnt a firend...
  7. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i deffinatly would not have bought it... i would have thought it was stolen. but my being with him when he bought it from the gun store helped his case too. i talked him down from $150
  8. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

that would have been a good deal too, but you got a better one
  9. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

308 is a good caliber. But I just prefer a 7mm Rem Mag. I have only seen 1 animal get up from it. Not bad for the 1,000s of animal I have shot with mine.

Ryan
  10. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Im with Ryan_ on this one. I hunt deer with a Remington 700 SSDM 7mm. Flat, fast, & far.
  11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

For the distances you are hunting at (500yds) I would probably opt for a magnum caliber. Either the 300 WIN MAG or the 7mm REM MAG would be excellent choices.
  12. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

You guys must all be ALOT better shots than I am, and have much more faith in your equiptment. It would take a pretty desperate situation for me to fire at a game animal at that distance. Not saying it can't be done, not even saying I couldn't do it, but ballistics (especially for a .308) and wind drift over 500yds would preclude me taking that shot. For ME, thats not ethical hunting. No way could I ensure a clean, quick kill. Not with a .308 mounting a BSA, and if I'm shooting that far, my scope costs AT LEAST as much as the rifle. If you are determined to hunt game at this distance, 300win mag would be a better choice. Just my .02...

Chris
  13. bogus bill

bogus bill New Member

You did say 500 yards. The 308 is just great in the PRACTICAL world of hunting and I have two of them. 500 yards is NOT that common hunting. Maybe antelope, but if I wanted to hunt 500 yards I personaly would go with my .300 H&H mag or similar. I also have two 30-06s. I once killed a buck at 220 yards with my old 94 30/30, but that was probley a fluke shot.
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'm not a hunter and it has been many years since I have fired ANY large caliber rifle. In boot camp however we qualified with M14's at 200, 300, and 500 yards. My best scores were at 500 yards. I fired a perfect score at that range. I don't remember what size the bullseye was on those targets...seems to me something like 18". I know I could have at least guaranteed a hit on a man size target at that range. Of course we had range flags to help calculate windage...a luxury you wouldnt have when hunting but I would think if this type accuracy could be obtained with military peep sites it would certainly be good enough for hunting with a scope.
  15. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I have to agree with Ckill1 on this topic. Except for caliber my choice 325 Wsm.