1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

lookin for a good size caliber

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Nameless, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I'm lookin for a good size caliber hunting rifle. I will be hunting deer with it at about 500yds, would like to mount a scope on it. I was thinking about going for .308. Please give me your advice on the subject.
  2. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

.308 is what i would go with. its a popular cartridge so there is no problem with ammo availability and you dont have to sell your first born child for a box. my "unbiased":p;):rolleyes: opinion for what rifle would be a Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather topped with a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope. either a 4x16x40mm with target turrits (which is whats on my hawkeye) or a 6x24x50mm with target turrits... but thats just my $0.02 :D hope ive helped
  3. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Yes you have, thank you very much my friend, but i have chosen a BSA scope for it, but it does not have the dimensions onit,but i have used it with other guns and know its capabilities.

BMP
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  4. islenos

islenos New Member

I agree, the .308 is hard to beat
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

my pleasure:D IMHO my hawkeye is the best investment in a long gun i have ever made... save the mossberg 88 mavrick i bought off a buddy for $60:eek:
  6. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

nice, but what if he wasnt a firend...
  7. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i deffinatly would not have bought it... i would have thought it was stolen. but my being with him when he bought it from the gun store helped his case too. i talked him down from $150
  8. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

that would have been a good deal too, but you got a better one
  9. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

308 is a good caliber. But I just prefer a 7mm Rem Mag. I have only seen 1 animal get up from it. Not bad for the 1,000s of animal I have shot with mine.

Ryan
  10. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Im with Ryan_ on this one. I hunt deer with a Remington 700 SSDM 7mm. Flat, fast, & far.
  11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

For the distances you are hunting at (500yds) I would probably opt for a magnum caliber. Either the 300 WIN MAG or the 7mm REM MAG would be excellent choices.
  12. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

You guys must all be ALOT better shots than I am, and have much more faith in your equiptment. It would take a pretty desperate situation for me to fire at a game animal at that distance. Not saying it can't be done, not even saying I couldn't do it, but ballistics (especially for a .308) and wind drift over 500yds would preclude me taking that shot. For ME, thats not ethical hunting. No way could I ensure a clean, quick kill. Not with a .308 mounting a BSA, and if I'm shooting that far, my scope costs AT LEAST as much as the rifle. If you are determined to hunt game at this distance, 300win mag would be a better choice. Just my .02...

Chris
  13. bogus bill

bogus bill New Member

You did say 500 yards. The 308 is just great in the PRACTICAL world of hunting and I have two of them. 500 yards is NOT that common hunting. Maybe antelope, but if I wanted to hunt 500 yards I personaly would go with my .300 H&H mag or similar. I also have two 30-06s. I once killed a buck at 220 yards with my old 94 30/30, but that was probley a fluke shot.
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'm not a hunter and it has been many years since I have fired ANY large caliber rifle. In boot camp however we qualified with M14's at 200, 300, and 500 yards. My best scores were at 500 yards. I fired a perfect score at that range. I don't remember what size the bullseye was on those targets...seems to me something like 18". I know I could have at least guaranteed a hit on a man size target at that range. Of course we had range flags to help calculate windage...a luxury you wouldnt have when hunting but I would think if this type accuracy could be obtained with military peep sites it would certainly be good enough for hunting with a scope.
  15. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I have to agree with Ckill1 on this topic. Except for caliber my choice 325 Wsm.