Lookin for Honker recipe

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Moonshiner, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Moonshiner

Moonshiner New Member

Whats the best way to cook up a couple of slabs of dark breast meat from a Western (Canadian goose) "Honker"?
    Thanks
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well we roast ours in the oven, collecting the fat to use on the roast potatoes. We do a whole Goose though, which needs to be stabbed under the wings to drain. We put an apple inside as well.

So I would say go roast in an oven.
  3. Here in the States, Tranter, if one's goose is cooked, and one is a corporation, the accepted method to get uncooked is to apply to the government for a handout at tax payer expense. :D;)
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Sadly Pistol I think 'our' goose is already cooked !!!

Get ready guys, its going to be a white knuckle ride....
  5. Moonshiner

Moonshiner New Member

lol, alright guys, looking for a recipe, not political banter, com'on a guys gotta eat! lol
  6. Here's one, Moonshiner. Adjust cooking time based on how much meat you have.

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
    1 cup carrots, shredded
    1 cup celery, diced
    1 cup onion, finely chopped
    1 medium apple, cored, peeled and chopped
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 cup veal (or low-salt chicken) stock
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 Tablespoons dried rosemary
    2 Tablespoons dried thyme
    4 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cracked pepper
    1 whole wild goose, about 7 to 10 pounds
    Preparation:
    Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add the carrots, celery, onions, apple, and garlic. Saute for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the stock, wine, parsley, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil for about 1 minute. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.

Pour the vegetables and liquid into a large roasting pan fitted with a lid. Turn the bird breast-side down and nestle into the vegetables and liquid. Spoon some of the liquid and vegetables over the goose and add more water (or wine if you like) to submerse the bird half-way. Cover and roast about 1-1/4 hours. Turn the bird over, facing up, and cook another 15 minutes, uncovered or until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees F when inserted next to the leg bone.

Remove and let the bird sit for about 10 minutes before carving. Spoon some of the juice and vegetables over each portion of sliced meat and potatoes.
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Hey Pistol, I think we just got told off! Nicely.
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Heres one for goose breasts with orange glaze...

PREP TIME 10 Min
    COOK TIME 30 Min
    READY IN 40 Min

4 goose breasts
    salt to taste
    1 dash dry vermouth (optional)
    1 tablespoon grated orange zest
    1 orange, juiced
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse the breasts in cold water, and place in baking dish. Splash with vermouth, then season with salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic and soy sauce. Season with mustard and caraway. Pour glaze over breasts in baking dish.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.

Crpdeth
  9. Donny, you missed the first task in preparation: Shoot the goose! :D
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Or in this case, the geeses! :D

Crpdeth
  11. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I don't know bout geese, nor much bout ducks, but when I was given some duck breasts I soaked them in Itailan dressing then wrapped them in bacon and grilled them. They were real good that way.
  12. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I got a recipe. It involves a Cedar plank, you might have read about it in the Pump House. :D:D

bon appetite :eek::D:D
  13. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

cyclone, i agree. whenever we cook wild goose, we will broil them with butter, potatoes, onions and then eat the veggies and feed the goose to the dogs. they eat it most of the time.