Looking at 10 mm's?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rjw158, Jun 7, 2008.

1. rjw158

rjw158 New Member

I looking at purchasing a 10 mm, all input so far has pointed me towards the Glock model 20. Anyone have any experience with the other options available like the Kimber,CZ also I see EAA makes a 10.
    Thanks,
    rjw158
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I cant comment on the guns but am familiar with the 10mm.

Long ago I had two 10mm handguns, the Colt Delta Elite and a Bren Ten. Yes I did, and I loved the caliber. It was powerful though manageable and accurate. Like a .40s&w on steroids.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2008
  3. rjw158

rjw158 New Member

Is the recoil as bad as everyone says? I have a couple of 45's and myself do not think the recoil, even shooting +p reloads is that bad. I have heard people compare the recoil or barrel jump of the 10mm to that of a 45. A poor grip and shooting stance will definitly allow the weapon to jump or kick.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

A poor grip and stance will allow almost any caliber to jump and kick.

Given the luxury of time and space, I recommended the American weaver stance but with the Israeli leg position, with feet further apart then most US instructors teach. For stability.
  5. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I think the range of calibers from .38 Special +P through .357 magnum in revolvers, and the vast array of options in the 9mm category, make anything larger pointless unless you're talking "rifle".

The eighth milkshake doesn't taste as good as the first - law of diminishing returns. you get way too much bang for your buck with anything larger, and it doesn't appreciably contribute to stopping power. I think you need a minimum kinetic energy level sufficient to crush bones, but, like Frank Zappa said, "anything over a mouthfull is wasted."
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Some of us have big mouths to fill!

I have lots of pistols and revolvers of all calibers. I like the big calibers regardless of the recoil as I am not particularly recoil sensitive, except when it gets to 44 mag levels. So I have 357, 44 special, 45LC, 40S&W, 45ACP and 10mm.

As for 10 mm, the recoil is not abusive but my Colt Delta Elite does a funny twist when fired with full loads. For it I down load it to 45ACP levels (same as 40S&W level) and find it most comfortable to shoot and with a recoil level that is the same as 45ACP. Big bullets at less than 1000 FPS give a big push instead of a sharp recoil as you get in 357 Mag. I prefer the big push, if I have to choose.

My 10mm is a Colt Delta Elite (first year production) and is an excellent gun but better after I added some after market 1911 race parts and pieces. My CZ97 is in 45ACP as is my EAA Witness (CZ clone made in Italy). In 10mm both would be good choices as both are big heavy guns that help tame recoil. The worst possible choice for a heavy recoiling gun has to be a light plastic gun, like the Glock. It would be punishing in full load 10mm, in my opinion.

For 10mm I recommend the Colt, the CZ (if they make one in 10mm but it would probably be based on the CZ97 frame), and the EAA Witness. The Witness can be a bit of luck getting a good one (mine is a good one) if you believe what other posters here say. In 40S&W my CZ75B is quite good and I recommend it too.

As an aside the 10mm was developed first and the 40S&W was devleoped later as a 10mm short to reduce the power level and recoil (for women and small men FBI agents for the FBI by S&W). 40S&W fits in 9mm frames so most 40S&W guns are smaller than most 10mm guns. If you have small hands this could decide which you choose (10mm or 40S&W). In general the 45ACP, the 40S&W and down loaded 10mm all fall into the same power level where as full load 10mm is a level above the others in power level.

LDBennett
  7. rjw158

rjw158 New Member

Thanks LD,
    That was just the response I was looking for, I wondered about the Glocks weight and the full power loads I might want to use at some point. I also own quite a few large caliber handguns and recoil is not an issue with me. Looking at the EAA Witness it looks to be well built and availability might be the only issue here. I guess it could be compared to the Stoeger and Beretta as far as clones go. I will have to keep an eye out and maybe find a used Smith or go the EAA route,
    Thanks again LD,
    rjw158
  8. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Some EAAs and Baby Eagles tend to be clones to the CZ's. Stoeger is owned by Beretta and are usually cloned by Taurus.

I've always wondered about the 10mm. I hear they make great hunting companions and supplements to the hunting rifle when being charged at by whatever you are hunting (or getting surprised by something else).
  9. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I guess I too, have a 'big mouth'!
    I have an older S&W 1006, totally stock. I don't notice the recoil being any heaver than a full load .45 acp. Sometimes weight is a 'good thing'! It is 'full sized', though, so there are instances where concealed carry is a bit challenging. That's when I go for the 4006.
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Baggy pants and a long-ish t-shirt go a long way.
  11. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I would personally wait until the 10mm takes off a little more and there are more options. If it doesn't get more attention soon, there is probably a reason...
  12. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

I have shot the full sized Golck in the 10 mm and love the round. The twist that LD mentioned is something I hear a lot of people mention with the round. I like the Glock (it seems to be an inexpensive yet quality firearm, if you can deal with the feel of it)but I'm sure that some of the other manufacturers make good platforms for the round. The one thing I did notice is that when I was looking into the EAA pistols I read a few posts where people mentioned the slide on the gun splitting on them with that specific caliber. If I recall correctly it was most common with the pistols that had the compensator built in to the barrel. This isn't infallible information but something deffinately worth looking into. The big thing that has kept me from getting a 10mm myself is the cost of rounds, if I were to get one I would feel the need to start reloading my ammunition. Just my .02.
  13. noslolo

noslolo New Member

When I used to do the fugitive recovery thing, my partner had a S&W 1006 and I loved it. I never heard anything great about them, but we never had a problem.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Vladimir:

"wait until the 10mm takes off a little more"

The Colt Delta Elite in 10mm was introduced over 20 years ago and the 10mm cartridge is a few years older than that (Bren Ten). If it "ain't took off yet" it never will! The number of "options" has decreased over time, not increased. Besides, the ones left are good guns worthy of considration.

It got its glory deflated when the FBI found the recoil too great for women and small statured men and, at first, had it downloaded when they adopted it as the Bureau gun. S&W then shorten the case, downloded it, and called it the 40S&W. The 40S&W became the FBI caliber of choice.

LDBennett
  15. U-turnwilly

U-turnwilly New Member

I have had a Delta Elite, a Glock Model 20, a Peter Stahl conversion and my current is a Dan Wesson 1911.

The Glock 20 is the only thing out there (that I know of) that was designed to handle full house 10mm from the start. My Glock was flawless but after I quit shooting IPSC I traded it off - big mistake. I think it is the best 10mm I have ever owned.
    U-turnwilly