The Firearms Forum banner

Looking at 7mm magnums

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Pistolenschutze 
#1 ·
So ive been looking at 7 mm magnums for hunting whitetail, elk, mulies, etc.

My question for you is there a big difference in a 7mm magnum and a 7mm ultra mag?

I shot a friends Remington 7mm mag, and fell in love with it the moment i held it.

Ive been told by another friend that if im going to spend the money just go for the ultra mag.

Is the ammunition just as easy to find or more difficult?

Are there any major differences to change my mind and step it up?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

thanks

#2 ·
Hey that is NOT a stupid question. Now I am about to give you some advise that is as good as the ink I didn't have to use to say this. You handled a 7MM Mag and fell in love with it. Shame to break up a love affair in my opinion. Velocity is great, accuracy is a must. Not that you would not shoot the ultra mag just as good as the Remington mag, its just if you really liked it I look at it this way. If it ain't broke , don't fix it. I shoot a magnum and am very happy with mine, never occurred to me to upgrade to faster cartridge. All but one animal that I ever shot at with it fell down,the other one it was not the guns fault. I just plain old screwed up on a close shot. Just my opinion. catfish

#3 ·
Find a rifle that fits you, feels good and shoots well. STOP RIGHT THERE.
all the new stuff on the market cost more and just ISN'T needed for the game in North America! My 30-06 is as good as they come my 358 Winchester will drop them like a rock DRT ( dead right there ) the more common the caliber the easier it is to find and afford ammo. I can buy 30-06 for 14 & up a box but the 358 is almost impossible to find and it starts at about $40.00 a box of 20 ( I reload so it isn't a problem for me)
Good luck and let us know what you get and how it shoots.
Welcome to TFF
Ron

G
#5 ·
Catfish and 358 gave you very good advice, DeViNe. The key is finding the rifle and caliber that works for YOU, then sticking with it. There will always be something "new and improved" coming along. The 7mm Mag is a proven caliber, and if you like it, go for it. Personally, I tend to stick with the venerable old .30-06 because it has always worked for me and I see little point in spending the extra money to feed a 7mm Mag or .300 Win Mag to shoot something that will wind up just as dead when hit by a 165 grain slug out of my .30-06. Just my $.02 worth. ;)

#6 ·
I agree with you there pistol, For over 20 years I hunted with a Remington 270 using 150 Gr. Speer Grand slam most of the time,always stayed with the 150 Grain bullet though. I was able to harvest a lot of game with that rifle and when I had over 2000 rounds through it I happened onto the 338 mag. that I use today. The 338 doesn't kill them any deader but it also does not deflect as quickly in a brushy environment. Now that 30-06 loaded with a heavier bullet works great and the 165 I think is the cats meow for any kind of game up to Moose. There I would step up to a 180 or maybe a 200 as the shots here in Idaho are always close as you want to get. Sometimes closer than you want to be :eek: ;). Well I better get off here as I intend to go harvest a coyote or two.:D catfish

G
#7 ·
INow that 30-06 loaded with a heavier bullet works great and the 165 I think is the cats meow for any kind of game up to Moose. There I would step up to a 180 or maybe a 200 as the shots here in Idaho are always close as you want to get. Sometimes closer than you want to be :eek: ;). Well I better get off here as I intend to go harvest a coyote or two.:D catfish
I completely agree, Cat. In my Remington 700, the 165 grain spitzer boat tail is the most accurate bullet I've ever found for that particular rifle, and it is deadly on mulies or white tail. Nonetheless, were I hunting moose or bear, I would likely go with the 180s or 220s just to get a bit better penetration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.