Looking at a new carry gun

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by lonewolf204, May 19, 2011.

1. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Which 1911 style 45 acp would you buy for a everyday carry gun?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I carry a full size 1911 pretty regularly.. But im a fat guy and can hide it easily..

If you are intent on carrying a 1911 go for a springfield Ultra compact .45 or an EMP 9mm. Kimber also has some great choices for a carry 1911.

If you can carry a full size 1911 comfortably, Carver does, and hes a tad over half my size then by all means go for it. Just choose the 1911 you like best. Comparing most of todays 1911s is like comparing ford to chevy to dodge... They all use gas and get you down the road faster than the law allows...
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I would carry just about any 1911. I like the full-size models the best.

I hear a lot of people that like the Kimber Pro Carry series and the Springfield Armory EMP.

Maybe the Springfield Champion would be more to your liking?
  4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My EDC is a Kimber Ultra Carry that I picked up used from a good friend. He bought it new and put about 2500 trouble free rounds through it. I knew this one was reliable so as soon as I heard he was looking to sell - I snapped it up. Be aware that the little 1911s will eat recoil springs VERY fast - as little as 300-500 rounds. I always have 3-4 extra springs on hand and I use Wilson mags...
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I carry the Springfield EMP 9mm and my new back-up, the Sig P-238. Not .45's but effective. I have a Springfield TRP Operator .45 and a Sig P-220 but they are a bit too big for comfortable carry here in HOT Florida.
  6. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I carry a colt defender 3" bbl
  7. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Depends on the weather:

Summer - Ruger LC9

Fall - Colt Detective Special

Winter - Colt Govt.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The LC9 just came out.. what about last summer? ;)
  9. KimberSeries1

KimberSeries1 New Member

I would look into a very slightly used Kimber from before 2001(a pre-Series II). I found an officer size(shorter handle and slide), it's a Kimber Compact Custom. Paid $620 for it, prolly only had 100 rounds through it, and it was from 1997. It has been the finest firearm I own(accept for maybe my Browning A-Bolt from 1997). The trigger has no creep, breaks like a sparrow's leg(only my Browning has a better trigger), has a bushingless bull barrel which really makes muzzle-flip non-existant, and has all the other custom bells and whistles like beavertail grip safety, skeleton hammer, 3-hole trigger, arched MSH with heavy checkering. Plus it doesn't have that Swartz safety that adds more moving internal parts.

Plus you can't go wrong with the original.....Colt.....anything series 70 or pre-series 70. I've also heard good things about S/A, but I prefer "Made In U.S.A."

If you're looking at a carry gun, and not a shooter(accept for practice), I'd shoot a 3" gun before you purchase. They're great for concealment, but you want to be comfortable shooting also. The 4" bull barrel seems to be a "best of both worlds" type of size. I've got big hands, and the officer frame is a great fit! Backup mags and range mags all have base pads that add to the "grip extension".
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  10. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Spoke too soon, LC9 was shipped back to Ruger after the Hammer stop spring broke

Last year was the Detective Special Summer and fall.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

New gun bugs. I figured the LC9 would have some issues. Most great things do at first..;)
  12. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Springfield Micro Compact 1911
  13. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Yeah I should have known better, Cars and Guns never buy the first year.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Itll all work out.. Id rather have one fail on me in practice than have one fail on me when a BG is trying to kill me.. At least they will investigate why it broke and remedy the problem, both for you and for the masses that buy an LC9 in the future..