Looking at a Taurus have a question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by cjh7819, Mar 4, 2010.

1. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

I found a used stainless Taurus in pretty decent condition. Price is $600 do you think that is a good deal? Comes with 2 mags and the original box.
  2. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

We need more information than that. Tell us about what you found, model, Cal, ect. Photos would be great.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Before I buy a pistol I always ask my gun smith if he will work on it. If he says no, then I look at something else. If you buy a gun no one will work on, then you are stuck with what you get, and may have to wait a very long time to get it back from the manufacturer. My policy is based on my opinion. When I buy a hand gun the first thing I do is take to my smith and let him do his thing with it. Trigger job, porting, or what ever it needs to make it run smooth. Very few hand guns come out of the box with that level of smithing.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

if its a stainless pt1911 thats about the going rate for a mildly used one in the box. They are great guns and you will get your moneys worth...
  5. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

I haven't bought it yet just have it on hold. Its a 1911 .45 cal made in 2005and sorry I don't have the capabilities to transfer pictures from my wife's camera to the computer so your out of luck there.
    I was thinking $600 wasn't a bad price for the gun It dosen't appear to have been abused but I'm by no means an expert, If I buy it, it will be my first 1911
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I shot one of those down at my local range. Good gun, I'm accurate with it and stuff. My only dislike about it is the grips. They just chapped my hands. One thing I looked for when I bought my Rock was that it was comfortable in my hands. Other than that, the PT1911 seems like a good gun.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah the slim plastic grips are a bit lacking, I swapped mine for a fatter set of ivory polymer scrimshaw grips from hogue. a $60 fix...
  8. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

Well I bought it today. Tomorrow I'll give it a workout. The more I looked at the gun after I got it home I really don't think the gun has been shot much at all. One mag was still wrapped in the plastic it came in originally, The other had very little signs of use. The gun is clean without any scratches or dings, It just dosen't appear to have been used hardly at all. We'll See what tomorrow brings.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

congrats cjh, is it your first 1911?
  10. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

Yep first one. It's a shooter.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ok, something I want you to be aware of... upon field stripping you may notice the taurus pt1911 is of the series 80 design. It aint no big deal except when you take it down for extensive cleaning. Knowing what you are up against beforehand will save you some confusion and aggravation trying to put the mess back together. Google the differences between the series 70 and a series 80 1911 designs. learn the relationship of the extra parts with their place within the frame and slide of your pistol. Like I said, knowing beforehand will save the hair on your head;) I absolutely love everything about the series 70 design, Its simple and effective. The series 80 is just a pain in the butt way to conform to certain laws in certain jurisdictions. So my advice to you would be to do some research and learn it before you get it dirty enough to be completely disassembled and cleaned;)
  12. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

thankyou JLA
  13. Cuba

Cuba New Member

I have a Stainless PT 1911 6K rounds -0- FTF or FTE but they did not come out on the market till 2008, mine came with 3 1/2# trigger breaks like glass, their first batch came with bad ambi safety mine hade one, called Taurus and they sent me a new one no questions asked with out having to send them my pistol.

Cuba