Looking at Steyr. S&W, Makarov 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by potato_sniper, May 25, 2004.

1. potato_sniper

potato_sniper New Member

Hey guys,
    I've got about 4 months until I turn 21 and get my CCW license. I was pretty set on a Makarov until I tried some draw-and-fire drills with one. I really had to concentrate in order not to pull the first DA shot off target because of the heavy trigger. I had thought about trying to learn to pull the hammer back when I drew, but that would just take to much time if I ever needed to draw it in a hurry.

So, I looked around for a SA only 9mm, but all I came up with was the Browing HP. It's a little too big and a little too expensive for my CCW choice right now.

Then, I started thinking about DA only pistols. In my price range and size range, I've looked at the new Steyr 9mm - M or S series and the S&W 9mm Sigma. I've also considered the Taurus PT111. I've only seen the S&W in person, and the grip seemed a little too blocky, but I think I could get over it.

Questions:
    1. Does anyone own or know about any of these three pistols?

2. Are there any other recomendations for a CCW in 9mm either in SA only or DA only? (Price range is around $300-$350)

Oh, and it has to be 9mm because I can't afford to practice as much as I want to with any other round. I plan on puttiing at least 100-150 rounds through it every week so that aiming/shooting will become completely second nature with this gun. That way, I can concentrate on the situation if one ever arises and not on the actual mechanics of the gun.

Also, I've not been too impressed with Glocks, but I might consider one if I found a good deal on one.

Lastly, if nobody has any input, I could always just plant the ol' GP100 .357 on my hip because TN has open carry as well as concealed.

Thanks Folks.
  2. punchie

punchie Member

Look and ask around for some police trade-in guns. They may look right rough but the far majority are carried a lot and shot very little. Lots of good deals around on S&W 59xx and 39xx series 9mm pistols that are trade-ins. Like I said they may look rough from carry but most are only shot during qualifying once or twice a year.
  3. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

Don't worry about the Makarov, the trigger smooths out with use. S&W autos aren't a bad idea either. The Steyr's are nice, but I question whether factory support (ie. parts) will be good. The Makarov isn't the most powerful of the bunch, but probably the most reliable. I carried one for years and wouldn't doubt its abilities or power inside 50yds.
  4. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

My Mak has the smoothest trigger!!! That is my current sidearm. I can practice tons with ammo being so cheap. Steyr impresses me alot, especially for the price brand new.
    Now - I HATE THE SIGMA SERIES FROM S&W.....there, I said it. Just like the glocks, I cant get the trigger to pull with enough consistancy for me to stake my life on it.
    I went through this same search. If I were to get a 9mm now.... springfield makes those XD-9's that have all the good parts from a 1911, SIG, and Glock. I put a 200 rounds through one and was VERY impressed. I would take one of those over a taurus or sigma anyday. but yes, they are a blocky gun.
    But the greatest honor you can give a gun, is to carry it. In the summer, the Makarov. Winter with a jacket....1911, baby!
    BTW - My Mak was a Bulgarian unnissued for $169.
    1000 rounds are about $115.
    I had $500 to spend.... I got a ton of ammo.
    Practice, Practice, Practice....like kinjoey said, the trigger will smooth out.

--Beagle
  5. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

The only one I can comment on is the Taurus PT-111. I had one and I really liked it. It is a very "safe" pistol, I say safe because there is a slide safety, and a locking mechinism that allows you to lock it and you can not pull the trigger or pull the slide back, and it also has a pretty heavy trigger. Now don't go geting nervous because it has a heavy trigger, this is a CCW pistol, not a 50 yrd. target pistol. The reason that I sold it was to buy my Glock 19. The only thing that bothered me was the short grip length, I have some rather large paws and the Glock fits my hand better. My Millennium fired about 400 rounds while I had it, some HP's but mostly JHP and no malfunctions of any kind. Fairly accurate, but like I said, it isn't a target pistol. It's a shame you don't care for a Glock. I was not anti Glock but the grip angle was a little odd for me after shooting my 1911, but I have gotten accustomed to it now. Look at a 19 if you get the chance or if you want something smaller look at a 26. If you hate em, get the Millennium, but you might like em better. :cool:
  6. drobs

drobs Member

You also might want to look into the CZ / witness pistols. My buddy has a witness that is very and the prices on new guns is really reasonable. Also you may want to check out CZ's new P01 model http://www.cz-usa.com/product.detail.php?id=28

My shop that I work at part time is selling these for $390. Not a bad price for a brand new gun. I myself prefer the CZ85 or the Baby Eagle with it's ambi safety since I'm a lefty but definately would go with any of these.
  7. potato_sniper

potato_sniper New Member

Prolly Go With the Mak

Thanks everyone,
    My main concern with the mak was based on a PA-63. (I know now that that was not indicative of all maks.) I was worried about the heavy DA first shot. I found out this weekend at the gunshow that I went to that I was actually the D-A for thinking that all maks were like the 63. I picked up a Bulgarian and dry fired it a couple of times with no difficulty. That's probably the way I'll go. I got to hold the smaller of the Steyr pistols, and it felt really good in my hand, but it was pretty thick. As was the Glock 19 and the S&W. The Taurus was better, but still a little large for me to conceal, probably. I'm about 5'-7", and stocky, so the pistol will need to fit slim against my hip.

Oh, and punchie, thanks for the suggestion about the old S&W autos. I considered them for awhile, but in my book they're just about too ugly to take to the range. They look like a 1911 that had it's nose cut off and put on some weight in all the wrong places. I know they have almost twice the capacity of a mak, but this is going to be one of my main pleasure shooting guns, too. And, well, the Smith just isn't a gun that makes you want to take it out of the case, clean it, oil it and stare at it.(My Ruger GP-100 definitely does.)

Drobs, I'll probably look into the CZ guns, but they are a bit too large as well. I'm just not sure i could conceal a second 7" pistol. ;)

Anyways, thanks for all the input. I'll look for a Bulgarian Mak for now, but probably continue to chase my tail for another four months until I actually lay down the cash to purchase.

Let me know if you come up with anything else.
  8. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

The more i shoot my mak, the more i like it. I forgot who told me to look at them, but i was surprised. great little gun. Never had a failure, the trigger is great in my opinion. (not nearly as good as my target guns i paid way too much for) but for a fun gun, it is perfect. i am here to throw in ANOTHER vote for the mak.
  9. exexpat93

exexpat93 New Member

So many guns .... hmm.

I really like my Makarov and chose it on rep not price and it works as a carry gun. Check out Makarov.com for all the support you might need and some.

Steyr. I like this one too. Not owned one but all I've held are natural pointers. Some do not like the triangle type sights but I think they are the future. Prices are going up and they are being imported under a new distributor as of recently.

SW - I hear you. Never appealed to me. I hate toggle slide safeties except on my Makarov. The Mak is a basic's gun. On a large frame gun I can not see how flipping that toggle could be easy or natural in a fire situation.

Lots of other guns to consider depending on price and your desires.