1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Looking for 22 rimfire weather resistant ammunition

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Crash, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Crash

Crash New Member

I am looking for recommendations for weather resistant 22-rimfire ammunition. My favorite ammunition for my 22 rimfires is Federal 36 grain that come in 550 bulk boxes ( # 750). It’s the most accurate and often the cheapest rimfire ammunition (and lowest % of misfires) I have found. However just get the ammunition slightly damp and the % of misfires rises dramatically. The ammunition is great for the rifle range when I can be sure the ammunition stays dry, however for hunting or self-defense it’s very unacceptable.

It’s very surprising how little moisture can cause duds. I have had a sealed box in the back of my pickup truck with a cap over it, I left the window open while driving down the road too the range, so I got a slight mist on the box; that was enough moisture that that day I had about 50 % misfires. I carried a gun for a week several times; and several times had more then 50 % duds, It did not rain, so evidently the high humidity or and body sweat was enough to cause misfires.

I have tried several versions and brand names and have gotten similar results. The only 22-rimfire ammunition I have found that holds up is over 50 years old. Back then it was commonplace to use a lot of wax, I think the wax helped water resistance, but I think most or all manufactures stopped being so generous with the wax to reduce costs and reduce barrel fouling (to increase accuracy).

When you load your own ammunition you can make it weather resistant. However, 22 rimfire is not reloadable, as far as I am concerned.

I was hoping someone would know of an easy to find (modern) 22-rimfire ammunition that is weather resistant or weather proof.

Thanks Crash [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.communistsforkerry.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/f15/f15_back.htm
    www.lmtas.com/products/combat_air/f-16/f16_record.html

[​IMG]
  2. ken w.

ken w. Member

A friend dips his .22 ammo in hot wax to coat the bullet so he has lubed ammo.Sounded kinda crazy too me,but just might work for you. :confused:
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

It would sound to me, just my opinion, that something is wrong with your rifle. I have fired rounds in the rain and never had a misfire. I would check the firing pin spring and pin and see how gummed up it is. Have you ever had a buddy try your misfires? Might want to check it out next time.

good luck!
  4. ken w.

ken w. Member

What kind of gun do you have ?
  5. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Have you ever stripped, cleaned and lubed your bolt? Most modern .22 rf ammo is about as weatherproof as you can get (unless you submerge it) and some even come in plastic boxes. :confused:
  6. Crash

Crash New Member

Wet ammo duds test 1

Sorry it’s not the gun, but Ill tell you anyway.

Remington Model 521-T; I use for target shooting and varmint hunting (has an excellent firing pin action) The gun is very old but in excellent condition, for some reason the springs even still have good tension, and the gun is well broke in, but not worn out

North American Arms, Mini-Master. I sometime carry for self-protection. (Has a very good hammer action) I very recently purchased this pistol new. This one is not even broke in yet. It has fired about 2000 rounds without a single misfire. Except for the 20 that got damp while I was carrying it around a week or more. It only holds 5 shots, I have only had it to the range 4 times, the only misfires were about 2-3 rounds of the 5 rounds I carried with me all week, I then shot about a dry box of 550 without a single misfire.

The Remington Model 521-T is an excellent gun. I bought it because my father has a similar one that is very impressive. I don’t think I get as tight of a group as some of you, but I’m not using a scope or an expensive gun. At 25 yards (75 feet) I shoot at a 50 foot NRA target and I can shoot better then most people using scopes, though those people don’t seem to be as high of a skill level as most of the people posting on this board. My father bought his new over 50 years ago for less then $25.00USD dollars. I was lucky to find and buy the one I did for $200.00USD. I have shot Federal 36 grain that comes in 550 bulk boxes (part # 750). I typically get less then one misfire in a thousand. Mtnboomer “Have you ever stripped, cleaned and lubed your bolt?” I have cleaned and lubed it, but without tearing it down. I’m not going to tear it down, till it needs it. This is the best condition bolt I have seen in this model bolt. Most are heavily worn, some are even rusted. This one has hardly any wear, no rust. The stock looks bad, but I don’t mind. It has a nice firm loud click when it’s fired, and it leaves a nice deep and long dent in the cartridge case rim.

My father’s rifle used to have a dangerous malfunction, every once in a wile, it would fire when you pushed the bolt forward. I took his bolt apart, but found no problem with the bolt, it still malfunctioned, the trigger geometry didn’t seem to be right so I brazed in a piece of a hacksaw blade, I filed it down till it looked right to me. I think the gun had fired well over 100k rounds before the repair, since the repair it had fired well over 30K rounds without auto triggering. Before I fixed it I took it to 2 gunsmiths 3 times to try to get them to fix the problem. It was many years ago, and cost about $100 for the 3 attempts to fix the problem. The gunsmiths did not fix the problem and it was draining my pocket book. So I got up the nerve to try to fix it myself. It was part skill, but I must admit it was partly luck. I wasn’t sure I could fix the gun, so I was chicken, but I considered the gun dangerous, I figured I would rather destroy my gun, then risk myself or my father shooting somebody or something by accident. I got lucky, my hunch and my repair worked.

I am a firm believer in only chambering a round while you have the gun pointed in a safe direction. That common sense rule saved my rear from getting in a lot of trouble; it also kept one of my friends out of trouble. My friend bought one of those cheap SKSs, he was showing it off to another friend. I don’t know why, but he chambered a round, the gun slam fired. He sent a round into his attic. I guess he thought it was kooler to show the gun to his friend loaded (which I think is kind of dumb), But he was smart enough to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. We all do dumb things, but knowing and using the safety guidelines that the NRA recommends to the point it becomes a habit is very wise. We all do dumb things (temporary lapses of reason); good habits can give you a safety margin for error, which can save lives. Good habits can’t guarantee you stay out of trouble, but it can put the odds more in your favor.

Typically non-autos don’t misfire much unless the gun is worn or not maintain properly. I do have a Buck Mark that will typically misfire 5-10 shots in a thousand, but if I rotate the rounds a fire them again, then again they almost always fire. In the end even the Buck Mark will get less then 1 misfire in a thousand, if you don’t count the few that misfire the first try but fire the second chance. The Buck Mark is a semi-auto, therefore I expect more glitches. The firing pin in the Buck Mark is under high stress, it has mushroomed a little, so it got shorter, so I put the pin in a press and squashed it a little to make it longer. I have a new spare firing pin, but I’m a cheapskate, and seeing how long I can use the same firing pin. I digress again.

About 90% of the ones that misfire after they get wet, won’t even fire after rotating the round and firing them again.

Anyway since I haven’t gotten any firm answers with solutions. I think Ken’s suggestion of wax dipping might work; I will try that if I can’t get any stock store bought ammo to work satisfactorily.

I’m willing to sacrifice a little accuracy for hunting and self defense if I can find an ammunition that will hold up to moisture.

I have steamed 10 different types of 22 ammo for a minute as equally as I could without making it a big project. I’m only sampling a few so it’s not going to be statistically sound, but hopefully it will be scientific enough to give me and idea what and if any 22 ammo out there is good enough to be suited for hunting and self defense. Well the first test didn’t work out to well; I only got 2 misfires out of 42 rounds. I’m disappointed with this test because the ammunition I have been having so much trouble with when it gets moist didn’t have a single misfire. So I am going to do another test and increase the moister exposure.

I live in Cincinnati Ohio, It’s almost always humid, and I also sweat a lot. I think my sweat is condensing on the ammunition when I concealed carry. I concealed carry for self-protection and the protection of others. To have duds is dangerous. It defeats the purpose of carrying a concealed gun if your ammunition will not reliably fire. If you carry a gun for protection, you must have dependable ammunition. For concealed carry I would be willing to sacrifice a little accuracy, if needed, to switch to ammunition the fires dependably when moist.

Crash
    [​IMG]
  7. Crash

Crash New Member

Wet ammo duds test 2

9-9-04

I did a similar test that I only steamed the ammunition, but only had 2 misfires. And the suspect ammunition that I have been having trouble with had no misfires. So I considered that test too weak to simulate my normal conditions.

So I did this second test that is likely more severe then my normal conditions. I steamed the 2nd test batch about 1 minute, then submerged under alternating hot and cold water ~60 F cold to ~150 F hot, hot and cold alternated 4 times for about 1 minute at each extreme. Then I drained water off, then put a few drops of water in a watertight ammunition case, then put in sunlight for 3 days, to allow the water to evaporate and condense at least once a day. I was trying to encourage expansion and contraction that tend to inevitably let water inside to damage the powder or and primers.

I will likely do 1 more test, which will hopefully come closer to my normal conditions. I will eliminate the steaming, and the submerging with quick drastic temperature changes. I will only do a several day condensation exposure with only moderate temperature changes.

Several of the shots had reduced power, I didn’t note and I forgot (and was too lazy) to bring my chronograph. I counted a shot a misfire if it didn’t have enough power to leave the barrel.

5 misfires of 5 shots A Federal 36 grain HV HP 550 bulk Part # 750
    3 misfires of 5 shots B Federal Lightning 40 grain SP Part # 510
    5 misfires of 5 shots C American Eagle (Federal) 40 grain SP Part # AE5022
    5 misfires of 5 shots D Aguila Colibri 20 grain
    0 misfires of 5 shots E Aguila Super Maximum Hyper Velocity 30 grain
    5 misfires of 5 shots F Remington High Velocity 40 grain Part # 1500
    1 misfires of 5 shots G Remington Target Standard Velocity Part # 6122
    0 misfires of 5 shots H Remington Club Xtra Eley 40 grain Part # RE22CX
    4 misfires of 5 shots I Remington Thunderbolt 40 grain Part # TB 22A
    5 misfires of 5 shots J Winchester SuperX Power Point 40 grain Part # X22LRPP
    5 misfires of 5 shots K Winchester SuperX HV HP 37 grain Part # X22LRRH1
    5 misfires of 5 shots L Winchester HP 36 grain Part # XPERT22
    0 misfires of 5 shots M CCI Stinger 32 grain Part # 0050
    0 misfires of 5 shots N CCI Maxi Mag+V 30 grain Part # 0059
    2 misfires of 5 shots O PCM Target 40 grain Part # 22E
    1 misfires of 5 shots P PCM Sidewinder 40 grain Part # 22SC

The Gun I am using for the tests is the North American Arms, Mini-Master. It’s the one I most often concealed carry.

I didn’t post detailed results from the first test because the test didn’t seem to be enough to increase the misfires much, and I lost my chart I was using.

Crash
    [​IMG]
  8. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

In over 40 years of rim-firing, I have yet to have that problem, from the cheapest to to most expensive, wet or not.
    Hold yer mouth different..................

LTS
  9. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Yar Phishie U mite gotta point, droolin on it aint gonna hep 1 bit :cool:
  10. Crash

Crash New Member

Wet ammo dud test 3
    9-16-04

This was a short (3 day) condensation test. This test is about equivalent of concealed carry for 3 days to a week for me, depending on the weather and my activity level.

Since I only fired 5 rounds each, this is not statistically sound, however, this should be enough to give you a general idea.

1 misfires of 5 A Federal 36 grain HV HP 550 bulk Part # 750
    0 misfires of 5 B Federal Lightning 40 grain SP Part # 510
    0 misfires of 5 C American Eagle (Federal) 40 grain SP Part # AE5022
    2 misfires of 5 D Aguila Colibri 20 grain
    0 misfires of 5 E Aguila Super Maximum Hyper Velocity 30 grain
    3 misfires of 5 F Remington High Velocity 40 grain Part # 1500
    0 misfires of 5 G Remington Target Standard Velocity Part # 6122
    0 misfires of 5 H Remington Club Xtra Eley 40 grain Part # RE22CX
    1 misfires of 5 I Remington Thunderbolt 40 grain Part # TB 22A
    0 misfires of 5 J Winchester SuperX Power Point 40 grain Part # X22LRPP
    0 misfires of 5 K Winchester SuperX HV HP 37 grain Part # X22LRRH1
    1 misfires of 5 L Winchester HP 36 grain Part # XPERT22
    0 misfires of 5 M CCI Stinger 32 grain Part # 0050
    0 misfires of 5 N CCI Maxi Mag+V 30 grain Part # 0059
    0 misfires of 5 O PCM Target 40 grain Part # 22E
    0 misfires of 5 P PCM Sidewinder 40 grain Part # 22SC
    0 misfires of 5 Q CCI CB 29 grain Part # 0026
    0 misfires of 5 R Aguila Super Colibri 20 grain
    0 misfires of 5 S Aguila Super Extra 38 grain
    0 misfires of 5 T Aguila SSS Sniper SubSonic 60 grain
    0 misfires of 5 U CCI Quik Shok 32 grain part # 0064
    0 misfires of 5 V CCI 22 WRF 45 grain part # 0069 ?
    0 misfires of 5 W Winchester Part # 22 WRF ?

I haven’t been shooting 40 years yet, but close to it (like 30 +). I haven’t had this problem till recently because I normally am very careful to keep my guns and ammunition dry. Unlike Texas; Ohio gets a lot of rain and has a fairly high humidity. A lot of Texans complain about how hot it gets up here in the summer. We say it’s not the heat, it’s the humidity. I live in the rust belt, it rains and snows a lot and typically has a high humidity. Most the people around here can’t drive worth a darn when it snows, so the government salts the roads to melt the snow. I digress

The first time I had problematic misfires was when I left an unopened bulk 550 box in the back of my pickup. My truck has a cap, but I almost always leave the back part open so the dogs can get in and out. I thought I had the ammunition far enough under the cap that the ammunition wouldn’t get wet, but I was mistaken, evidently the eddy flow was enough to let mist get about 3 feet under my cap. A week or 2 later I went shooting. I was surprised to find box slightly damp, didn’t think much of it till I open the box and started firing the ammunition. I found the damp ammunition had about 250 duds. I had several bulk 550 boxes of the same lot number and had less then 00.1% misfires.

Since then I really hadn’t had any trouble with duds till I got my concealed carry permit. I hadn’t had trouble before because I carried in plain view; I did my best to keep the gun dry. Since I got my concealed carry permit, I almost always carry a gun. I got a stainless steal gun to resist rusting, because I live in an area that has very high humidity, also I sweat a lot, since I typically have clothing over the gun, that traps in the sweat. So a lot of the sweat that evaporates ends up condensing on my gun and ammunition. If it’s hot I can sweat so bad, the sweat drips directly on the gun and ammunition.

People that live in places like Texas like won’t run into moisture problems as much. If you take good care of your gun and ammunition, you likely won’t have any trouble. If you concealed carry I would suggest shooting off the rounds you carry around with you, once a week or at least once a month. Particularly if you concealed carry in humid area and if you sweat a lot.

I hope if you carry a gun you never have to use it for self-defense, but I hope if you have to use a gun for self-defense, that you use good judgment and that your gun and ammunition works properly.

Just my 2 cents
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crash
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

I don't know what the misfire problem you are having comes from, but suggest the following:
    (1) Gather up all your FTF's, and put them in a friends RELIABLE rifle. See how many are double ftf's, and their brand and lot.
    (2) Check the weather reports on TEXAS. We don't all live in West Texas, and the relative hunidity in the San Antonio area is over 90%, 90% of the year.
    (3) I had (3) ftf's so far this year, all of the same 4 year old Eley Tenex lot that gave about the same results to others in the club. Rotate the round 90 degrees, and it fires, nearly every time. This, by inspection of the ammo, fired brass and dis assembled loaded rounds, was poor priming compound distribution in the case. Isolated incident, to be sure. In ammo I gave $730/ case for; price doesn't matter
    Results in (3) above were out of 9,840 round fired in central Texas, out of a Stevens M-44 1/2, (2) Remingtom 40-X's, and a Win M-52.
    I really do not think you have an ammo problem; I just went to the garage and dumped 6 rounds into my bullet trap from a Walther TPH I carry and sweat on daily; Quik-Shok, in the pistol since Nov, '03. DING X 6.
  12. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

While I`m sure you still think we all ride horse`s and it`s dryer than dust here in Texas.....that is not the case here. In NE Texas (far NE Texas) the humidity is never less than 90%. A gun will rust in less than an hour left exposed.....without rain. A box of shells will simply shead the box after a few hours, leaving it`s contents on the ground. I would suggest several things. First the gun, then your supplier (retail/wholesale) I shoot a few rimfires. You have more FTF`s in a day, than I have in months/years and I do not store my ammo any different than you.....maybe worse. Mine sometimes sits on the 4-wheeler exposed for months. Now some don`t consider what I shoot a lot and maybe it`s not, but I run anywhere from 2-5K a month of rimfire. I may get a handfull a year, of which you get in a day. Fact is I have 20+ year old ammo that has never been stored properly and it shoots too.

You either have a bad supplier or rifle OR both. Not one of the manufactures you have mentioned has given me those results and I have shot them all, including those cheeZy "Nimrod" rounds from the early 60`s and if anything was bad.......the name says it all.

Like I said, ya ain`t holdin yer mouth right.

LTS
  13. Shamus

Shamus New Member

I'm in Ohio and this year I've had 2 or 3 misfires out of a little over 3,000 rounds of .22, zero out of 2250 rounds of 17HMR and zero 9mm in my CCW Glock, somewhere around 1200 rounds.

Try what stash247 suggested... If your having that many ftf's somethings seriously wrong.
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

We had the first misfire I've ever seen from a round in a Federal brick when in Alabama.

To give you a time span, try from November 1940 'til today.....
  15. stash247

stash247 New Member

Is it true? Do Judges get better with age??? Or, only tougher to B.S.???
    Having a few less years experience, I'll certainly bow to your memories of the forties, but the fifties, sixties, ... ammo just keeps getting better.
    I shoot high end, for the most part, rimfire ammo, but weather is not an issue, for a match; sun, rain, snow- look at the calendar- today's the day, regardless.
    And, in my short experience, my scores are as good in any but driving rain, as in the sun. But, then, all my kids were concieved in the rain, too.
    Bottom line: water is harmless to modern ammo, and modern people. Some actually drink it!