The Firearms Forum banner

Looking for .32 reasonably priced for wife

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  WHSmithIV 
#1 ·
Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

I am currently in the market for a small .32 for my wife. She is not a fan of guns, but she does want to keep one in the house that she feels comfortable using. If anyone thinks that a .32 would not be suitable and has any better suggestions....I am open for all ideas. Thanks for any advice and ideas.

Barry

#2 ·
I would suggest at looking at a .380.The recoil is manageable and alot of ladies like it as it is not too much for them.Another is a .38 in a small revolver like the S& W bodygaurd or other J frame.These are better suited for SD and the .32 is better than nothing it is not a recommended caliber.The .38 spl is a proven SD round.Take her and let her try different weapons and try to make it fun for her.Alot of ranges rent so you can try different platforms and let her make her choice.

#3 ·
Check out the Kel-Tec P32. I've got some acquaintances that have and love them. Not a great SD round but it's better than some others. The Kel-Tec p3AT is almost the same size but is 380 acp. Ruger also has their version of the 380 called LCP. Some don't like the recoil of 380 in such a small gun.

#4 ·
Wife and dughter both carry P-32s but maybe a 32 revolver would be better. The P-32 is kinda snappy. If it's going to be a home defense piece size doens't matter, does it? Then you could go with a 38.

#5 ·
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, it just kills my hands, and recoil is terrible for them.
I got a Ruger Sp 101 in 327. If my hands feel real good, I can shoot 327, 32 mag
if they are OK, and 32 long if they are hurtin'. It will also shoot 32 shorts. That
is a huge range, and she can practice with which ever one fits her situation best.
If recoil is an issue, that gun is a peach.

#6 ·
Since this is going to be a house gun, and not a carry gun, I would suggest that she use as heavy a gun as posible in .32. The semi-autos will most probably have less recoil than a revolver, and the heavier semi-autos will have less recoil than the lighter ones.

#7 · (Edited)
I have to smile when I see " reasonably " used in that context. what is reasonable for me may not be for another, No guide line at all:) however I think I know what you mean. There are still milsurps on the market. One of the best .32's is the CZ 70, a very good and reliable gun. The Kel-Tec P 32 is another one, I have my choice of carry guns and I find that is the one that gos with me most of the time. For a house gun I also find a .38 Special is the best, big enough not to get lost in the cupboards and easier to handle under stress, no buttons to push, hammers to cock nor slides to work, just point and pull the trigger 6 times., you can use target wad cutters for control and light recoil ( they will indeed do the job at close range ). I think you can find any of the above for around or under 200 dollars ( for a used .38 ). Good luck, what ever you choose make sure you practice enough with it to be comfortable.

#8 ·
I have to smile when I see " reasonably " used in that context. what is reasonable for me may not be for another, No guide line at all:) however I think I know what you mean. There are still milsurps on the market. One of the best .32's is the CZ 70, a very good and reliable gun. The Kel-Tec P 32 is another one, I have my choice of carry guns and I find that is the one that gos with me most of the time. For a house gun I also find a .38 Special is the best, big enough not to get lost in the cupboards and easier to handle under stress, no buttons to push, hammers to cock nor slides to work, just point and pull the trigger 6 times., you can use target wad cutters for control and light recoil ( they will indeed do the job at close range ). I think you can find any of the above for around or under 200 dollars ( for a used .38 ). Good luck, what ever you choose make sure you practice enough with it to be comfortable.
Let me concur with RJay about the CZ70. This is an excellent little surplus weapon and reasonably priced. Small enough to conceal, but heavy enough to minimize recoil. I really like mine loaded with the Fiocchi hollow points.

#10 ·
red14, good idea. My wife doesn;t like practicing with the P32, I'll bet the Ruuger would make her happy. Of course, when she's happy....

#11 ·
My daughter came to me with almost the same request last year. She really wanted something for the house, and doesn't care for heavy recoil. She tried my 32 H&R roger SSM, but a single action isn't really practical for the purpose. I managed to acquire a pre-owned model 36 with a bull 3" bbl.
We added some pacmayer grips and 2 speed loaders and voila Perfect ladies house gun. She can hold a 4" group double action at 10 yds , more than lethal enough. The speed loaders were to allow her to keep it empty, but load quickly like an auto. With two boys in the house cocked and locked isn't smart. Personally I've always found revolvers easier for beginners to shoot well with.

#12 ·
I'm with the rest of the general consensus on this one. Go with a 38 revolver. My wife isn't a great fan of guns at all and I insisted that she learn how to shoot because I do have them in the house. A revolver keeps it all real simple - point and squeeze the trigger. Standard 38 special rounds don't have a lot of kick. No slide to come back and bite.

She tried the 1911 ONCE for ONE round. Then I bought .38 to be available in the house. She has practiced with that a few times now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.