Looking for a 300/400 yard, kill a predator, cartridge & gun. What would you choose?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JohnnyFlake, Sep 2, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Re: Looking for a 300/400 yard, kill a predator, cartridge & gun. What would you choo

Love it. I built a .243 8 twist last year that is a 1000 yard nail driver with 105 Amaxes.
  2. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

Re: Looking for a 300/400 yard, kill a predator, cartridge & gun. What would you choo

Dam my friend, that means even more research!!!
  3. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

223,,,243,,,308,,,i like them all
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I like the 243. I dont have one but friends do and i think it is outstanding.
  5. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I would do a .220 Swift or a .308. Either a Ruger or a Savage. That new Savage Hog hunting rifle looks nice.
  6. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

300 or 400 yd shot on a human predator? Hope you have a great spotting scope and an even better lawyer...given that, a .30 06 with a 150 gr. spitzer and bull barrel would do nicely.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I also deduct the OP is considering a rifle for SHTF, or just in case type of scenario. Laws, Judges, Cops, Lawyers, etc. aint gonna matter in that situation. And coyotes in the meantime make good practice targets. ;)
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I would choose a Savage .223 or Savage .270 .
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Human Predator? :confused:
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  10. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I have an older BDL (safety locks bolt) in .243 that is light, fast and accurate. I've plugged ground squirrels in excess of 350 yards and folded dogs beyond 400. It's flat shooting, ammo is readily available if you don't handload, and there is a wide range of bullet weights to choose from. The new Superformance powder also bumps the cartridge up to true 6mm Remington performance. I load an 80 gr. TTSX and with RL19 I'm getting around 3,320 fps. The Superformance load chronographs at 3,550 fps. That's a tremendous increase. Accuracy is comparable. The last dog I shot with it looked like a ground squirrel shot with a 22-250.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

a nice M1A with some 175gn to send downrange in it...

I've always been partial to the .280, a very under popular round that is a good performer. But everyone has their own tastes and preference; comes down to the shooter ultimately.
  12. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Not boasting, but ain't no critter safe from my 6mm at 500 yards, as two Marmots yesterday are testimony to. VERY windy to boot. The Kestrel indicated about 12mph, gusting to 18.
    I've nailed Prairie poodles beyond that too.
    It's about knowing the gun and load. That's where a Chrony and a computer program come in real handy, along with lots of practice.
    My cousins Savage 10 .223 is a tack driver, and fully capable of taking 500 yard shots if the gunner does his job. Great gun for the money.
    I wouldn't want to be hit by a 62 gr penetrator at 500 yards, I've seen what that bullet does. 300-400 yards is well within that cartridge's parameters.
  13. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I have a Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter and it is EXTREMELY accurate. What kind of scope are you using for the distances that you are shooting? Im trying to find a scope that can do that.
  14. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

.308 is my caliber of choice for anything out to 500 meters and smaller than a large deer. My weapon of choice is a bolt action because they have far fewer moving parts so fewer things to go wrong. I'm partial to my Remington 700 varmint, but a lot of people are saying great things about Savage so I would check them out if I were in the market for another rifle, which I usually am.
  15. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Burris 6x 24 with the older Peeplex reticle. Adjustable turrets and the works, very good scope really.
    It also has the adjustable iris for daylight and twilight conditions, works well for coyote hunting.
    The rifle is a Remington 700 varminter special in 6mm Rem., NECO firelapped barrel and capable of far greater accuracy than I am.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      280.3 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      475.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  16. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

I have done some research and searching and I am still really liking the Savage Model 10 in .223.

My question is, does anyone know of any source where extended magazines can be had. I am thinking 10 round, maybe 12 round magazines? I am unable to find any source as of this time.

BTW al45lc, that is a beautiful set up you have!
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Another easy one Johnny. Grab a DBM kit that uses either AR mags or AICS mags thats made to fit a savage accustock. They arent cheap tho..

I personally would just stick to the Savage M10 PC with the accutsock and keep the floorplate mag assembly. at those ranges youd have plenty of time to reload 5 rounds.
  18. jpdusn

jpdusn New Member

I'm kind of partial to the 25-06 cartridge for thumping preditors. Below is a lnk to Remingtons ballistics. Hornady makes a good one also. You pick the rifle and scope. It's a very good deer cartridge to boot.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/ballistics.aspx
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  19. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thats a nice looking rifle and thats some amazing land out there in Colorado. Our farm down here in south Texas is just mostly flat. Whats the weather like over there now?
  20. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Hate to say, but I would have to go either .308 or 30-06. .30 cal bullets with an almost infinite range of options for design and weight as well as a case that can hold as much of whatever powder desired will get my vote. I believe that with the appropriate load/bullet combination you can have light recoil and a "hot" varmit round that will shoot moa easily.

No argument about the Savage rifles, they probably would be listed as a "best in class" if guns were rated as automobiles are.

"Custom" or wildcat cartridges will likely "do it all" but with a higher cost. And the .223 will certainly have accuracy and the ability to kill at the distance stated, but, I do not believe that there is as wide a range of ammo choices or flexibility in loads as one could get with the .30 cal.