1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Looking for a .40 cal pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by PLINKER45, Jun 27, 2006.

1. PLINKER45

PLINKER45 Member

I was wanting to know if anybody has had any experience with any of the following pistols...

1. smith and wesson M&P 40
    2. springfield xd 4" in .40 cal
    3. sig 229 in .40 cal

I am trying to decide which one to buy. any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Can't really vouch for the others but I liked the P229.
  3. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

I have carried a S&W 4046, and I owned a 4006. The 4046 was a boat anchor. The 4006 was better but the heavy double action first shot made it hard to transition to the single action followup shots. I also find that the Smith auto amplify the shooter mistakes. IMHO

I have fired a 229, and I've owen a 220. It's better than the Smith but has the same transition problem, but it's not as bad.

To be honest, I gave the city back it's 4046, swaped the 4006 for a Glock, sold the 220 and bought another Glock. I've never regreted that dicision.
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I recently bought a CZ model 40P. It's my first .40cal. I really like it. Very accurate right out of the box. Kicks like a 9mm, puts a hole in the paper like a .45.
    All three that you listed have a great reputation, the S&W is the newest and hasn't got the long term tests of the others. Sigs have a reputation for great reliability. If the price was right, that's the one I'd go for.
  5. cpt.bales

cpt.bales Former Guest

get a baby eagle in 40 cal. . the springfield XD is not a good pistol. my stepbrother bought the 45 cal. XD and it is a POS.
  6. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

I would definetly go with the Sig. Very good shooting and reliable weapon.
  7. MidnightRambler

MidnightRambler New Member

I have a 229 with a stainless slide. The advantage it has for me is I can manually cock the hammer for the first shot, eliminating the DA/SA transition on the trigger. I like it enough that I have a 2nd 229 arriving tomorrow.
  8. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

have you checked out a Taurus 24/7 model?... i've got one and love it. accurate, not too big... yet small enough to conceal easily. the newer models... the 24/7 PRO have the DA/SA trigger on them... every shot is a SA, till you get one of those duds, then it goes to a DA pull and if it still doesnt go bang... do the ole, rack the slide and let it ride... i havent had any problems outt mine yet, with well over 500 rounds thru it. http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=24/7-40BP-15&category=Pistol
    Taurus USA
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Don't have any of the ones you listed. From your list, I'd go with the SIG, I have SIGs and they are reliable. For a .40 cal, take a look at the Walther P-99. (NOT the S&W 99) That is what we ended up with for a .40 cal.
  10. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

The only way to go is the Glock! :D
  11. MidnightRambler

MidnightRambler New Member

Any of the ones on the original post along with Glock would be good choices.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  12. shooter

shooter New Member

i can only speak for the springfield...i never got to shoot the 40 before i bought it..but i tried the 9..loved it so i went with the 40 ..havent had any prbs with it..the glock 23 fit better in my hands but i couldnt shoot it as straight as the xd..so 3yrs later..i still have it and dont see myself selling it anytime soon
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  13. hugemidget

hugemidget New Member

I have experience with the Springer and the Sig. The Sig is by far the better pistol. Its also a whole lot higher priced.

I have a XD9 it functions flawlessly. Springfield also gives a life time warranty.If you want to save some money,I dont think you will regret getting the XD.
  14. hugemidget

hugemidget New Member

Springfield has a life time warranty and great customer service. Have your brother send it back. They will even reimburse you for the shipping charges.

I had the XD45 for a week. The pistol was fine. The first six shots out of it tore one ragged hole right at POA.It was to big for my hand. My hands are like slick leather from callouses. I just had to squeeze the gun to hard to keep contol of it during recoil.

I bought the gun for a nightstand gun, but with it sliding around in my hand, it made for slow follow up shots. So I sold it.
  15. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

I'd take the Sig, but can live with the others,