Looking for a .45 Long Colt rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Deacon_Man, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Can one of you tell me if there are any new .45 long Colt rifles made today. If so who makes them and how much do they cost ? I am not able to shoot a high power rifle, but I think I could handle a .45 LC. Would it be legal to hunt deer in Texas with ? I bet I could make up some hot hollow point loads that would get the job done.
    John_the_Deacon Man
  2. ozo

ozo Active Member

Marlin still makes a .45 colt lever action.
    I am not sure if they have it in anything other
    than an octagon barrel, but I haven't checked lately.
  3. ozo

ozo Active Member

Come to think of it.......Rossi makes several lever action
    .45 colt rifles.........:cool:
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ill second the marlin John. I have an 1894 in .44 mag that I use to hunt deer and hogs with. The ones in .45LC are bit harder to get but they are out there. and when you find one youll pay around 550 for one. I got my 1894 .44 for a steal, 350 out the door.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

here she is with a 2 MOA load I developed for it. ;)

Attached Files:

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It is not as fancy as the other mentioned but I have a single shot New England Firearms rifle with a .45 Colt barrel.
  8. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Good shooting Josh !
  9. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 New Member

Marlin would be my first pick, followed by Henry. My dad has one(Italian made I think) and my LITTLE sister(shes just a twig) shoots it fine and she couldn't shoot my .30-30. She took a deer at 18 with it and compared shootin it to shootin my dads or my Remington 582 .22. It killed the deer with only one shot. I don't know bout TX but i do know that here in KS anything over a .243 is legal fer deer. I would assume its similar down there. Hope this helps.
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Chiappa and Uberti make them also.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

In TX, hunting game only requires a centerfire. We do not have the 6mm bore diameter restriction. Only thing we cant use legally on game animals is rimfires.

course that means we have both extremes here too. Folks like my own father that swear a 17 cal will kill an elephant, so my dad takes to the deer stand with a 17 rem every year. :eek:

And just the opposite too, folks that take to the TX deer woods with 14 pound .458 winmags after a 70 pound doe..

Whatever floats your boat. ;)
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I didn't even know that Marlin made/sold a .45LC rifle! I do have a Marlin in .44mag. Gallery of Guns is asking $707.95 for the .45LC. That seems a little high to me?
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a friend who is a butcher and runs a deer processing place who claims that he shoots deer in his yard with a .17 HMR. Says he pops them in the head, sounds a little far fetched but I have no reason to doubt him.
  14. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Seen that with my own eyes when Stationed at Fort Hood. It was deer season on post and our First Sgt would also guid deer hunts on the weekend. He took a guy out with a 17 Remington and in the same group another guy with a 338 RUM. They both shot a doe and both were about 70 to 75#. What the hell is wrong with using a 243, 25-06, 270, or 30-06?
  15. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I have the Marlin 1894 (45 LC) with straight pistol grip stock and round barrel, this is an excellent shooting rifle. After your first shot you'll see why so many people like this gun. Loads must be kept to the correct OAL for proper feeding.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They are and you can thank CAS for that. The Marlin 1894 is one of the more popular leverguns for CAS.

I personally would go to walmart or academy sports and see if they can order it. And thats even speaking as an FFL-01, I cant compete with the prices Walmart and Academy sells for.
  17. Airdale

Airdale Member

John,

I have a Marlin in .44 mag and the round is really tame coming out of a rifle.
    It's one of my favorites that I won't part with. Good luck with your search.
  18. Airdale

Airdale Member

I think Josh has it about right for getting a new one. I don't think Academy will order for you (at least that's the way the counter guys expained it to me) they will locate one in one of their other stores and have it sent to your store.

I checked Buds and they have a Henry "Big Boy" in .45 for $672. It looked like Marlin would be in the same range if they had one.

The others that make sure are proud of their stuff Uberti and Cimmeron are outta my league.

One other choice is used. Search the pawn shops and gun shows. If you go that route you might want to consider a few more calibers like .357 mag. or even a .44 mag to enhance your chances of finding a nice Rifle.
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The henry big boys are better than the marlins IMO, and 672 is not bad. Ive seen em as high as 800. Thing i like the most about the Henrys is no stinkin thumb scrapin loading gate. they load from the end of the tube just like a marlin 60.

And another bonus is they have cut rifled barrels as opposed to the Marlins microgroove barrels. Cut rifled is way better for shooting cast.
  20. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 New Member

I know you can kill the whitetail here in KS with a .22 or a .22 mag, but you don't want to get caught they'll try to take it all away from you. They average to 150 dressed. Just sayin if you know how to and where to shoot it can be done. I don't recommend it.
    My personal favorite is my Marlin 30AW and a neck shot. No chasin and I ruin that dang neck roast!!! .357 would do and the Winni I shot I barely felt anythin and we were usin maximum loads for a .357(they were loaded buy a friend of mine).