Looking for a .45 Long Colt rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Deacon_Man, Jun 9, 2012.

1. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

well, H&R no longer makes one. i cakked the factory and asked
  2. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Rossi,made by tauras has a .45long colt mares leg like steve Mcqueen had on the 60's go wanted dead or alive.Its lever action and bad as h___!
  3. JLA

JLA Moderator

My youngest boy Wes calls that a cowboy gun thats his size. And when i asked him what he wants for his birthday july 17, he said the little cowboy gun.
  4. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I've owned a Marlin 1894/.45L.C. for 20 years now, very accurate even with my hard cast bullets.
    I installed a rear apeture sight by Wiliams and it's good for 100 yards with my heavy loads, killed several deer with it.
    With a 335 gr G.C. cast bullet, I'm pushing around 1800 fps. Hefty recoil though. That's power enough for Elk, much less deer.
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I've seen several deers taken with a .22 to the old brain bucket...drop where they stood.
  6. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

I have two rifles chambered for 45 (Long) Colt. An Ubertti, Winchester 1873 clone, with curved buttplate and pistol grip buttstock. Very accurate after got the lever safety adjusted, and trigger smoothed out. Second is a Japanese made Winchester Model 92 carbine. Also a nice gun, but it too has that damn curved buttplate. I've gotten to shoot a friend's Marlin 1894 45 Colt carbine. Great gun, if you want a scope, it's the one for you.

Thankfully they don't recoil much at all. I used them in cowboy action shooting years back. Any of them would be good enough for deer at 100 yards or so.

Finally I'll say the Ubertti has the smoother action. But it's the weakest design. The Marlin is the strongest of the actions. The Winchester '92 clone the best balance.
  7. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member

There's a Rossi .45 LC saddle rifle in my local military exchange that Ilook hard at every time I'm in there. Priced 450 ish.
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Yeah Texas is too strict. My Grandfather shot and killed several deer using just a .22LR but at a closer range by shooting them in the head :thumbsup:
  9. Old John

Old John New Member

Yeah, I have a Winchester Trapper Special, in .357 magnum, with a 17 or 18 in. barrel. It's handy around our rural place for varmints. I bought it new, probably 10 or 12 years ago. I have a Winchester "End of Trails" in .45 Colt too. And I would not part with either one of them. Both are 'for fun' guns.
    I 'spect either one would easily take a whitetail. Both are "legal" where we live.
    My Dear Wife claims the End of Trails, but I bought it. My Dear Brother borrowed it for deer hunting and I haven't got it back yet. Guess I'll have to talk to him. Maybe I'll take Dear Wife down to do the talking.;)