Looking for a base 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by PLINKER45, Jan 10, 2006.

1. PLINKER45

PLINKER45 Member

I am looking for a base sa/da 9mm to have mainly as a range gun. I want something that i could carry if i needed to, but does not have to be all that small. Preferrably something that is high capacity. Any Suggestions?
  2. NavyLT

NavyLT New Member

I like the Taurus PT92. It is very similary to the Baretta 92. It is about $200 cheaper, has a lifetime warranty, shoots very accurately. It will come with 2 17round magazines (assuming they are legal in your state). The Taurus PT99 is the same gun only with adjustable rear sight. I put an aftermarket precision adjustable rear sight on my 92 and like it very much. Shot about 1000 rounds through it with no problems at all.

The biggest factor in your choice should be how does it feel to you and will you enjoy shooting it (and the reputation of the particular gun for failures, etc). Try to rent them and try out different models.
  3. res1b3uq

res1b3uq New Member

I have two hi-power clones, but they are both single action. Good pistols, though.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Big hands like the Beretta; smaller hands, the Browning. If the trigger is an issue, a DA first shot says S&W M-39/59, or CZ.
    Well fitted, any of these will print 1 1/2" groups at 50.
    What is the deal that requires a baseline gun? Sounds like an accuracy program. Keep us posted. Thanks
  5. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

ruger p95
  6. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

ruger p95 , good all around gun for the money , cz or cz, or may be , oh i dont know a cz. for under 400 bucks a cz will work for a beginner or a seasoned pro, their fit and finsih is as good as it gets on a high production stock gun, and that inner slide rail; smooth as butta! a company out of Argentina has a company called FM, they are browning clones, and they are pretty sweet, dont know about the mags though, the cz 's , you can get high caps all day for 17 to 24 bucks.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

CZ,CZ,CZ! CZ75B!

They are the most gun for the money. They fit in the hand like no other pistol I own. They are reliable, well made, and have a design that is better. The double action is better than most DA/SA semi-autos. And most importantly they are forever as they are all steel--no plastic that will get hard and crack and dissolve in a century or so. Your kids kids kids can still use this gun in the future.

Want a 22 too? CZ sells a 22 conversion unit (Kadet) that shoots great. Mine rivals most of the other target 22's I own in accuracy and is much better than most for reliablity of function.

So there you have it! A 9mm for defense/carry and a 22 conversion for it for plinking at the range or in the field. How can you do better than that?

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  8. I've had very good luck with the Steyr 9mm, Plinker, though it is striker fired not double/single. If double/single is an absolute requirement for you, I must agree with Stash's suggestion of the CZ. Excellent pistol.
  9. warhorse1

warhorse1 Member

A couple of DA/SA 9mms come to mind. The Ruger P-95 for good value for the buck, the Sig 226 for performance, quality, and pride of ownership.
    wh1
  10. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

im not ashamed to say that i have a ruger p-95
  11. Eastwood

Eastwood New Member

Go with Beretta 92fs Have one love it
  12. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

THE GLOCK 19. I think the 19 is small enought for conceal carry but large enought for duty carry. With a +2 magazine it holes 17 rounds. If you have a large hand you might think about the Glock 17. I have a Taurus PT 92. It is a nice gun, however mine loves 115 grn ammo. If I shot 124's or 147's the group opened up to pizza size! (large pizza) If you are not use to Glocks, when you first hold one it will feel different. But the more you shoot it the more you will like it. They make a rubber grip thing that slides up the grip that will help with the "different" feel.
  13. stetson

stetson New Member

I have a glock 17 but also have a dreaded sigma which I have shot
    over 2000 trouble free rounds.This gun was dirt cheap to buy and
    I bought it because it fit my hand well.
  14. indynotch50

indynotch50 New Member

A friend of mine just got a new S&W 9mm with the high cap mags for $300. The gun was brand new and midsize, I was impressed, thought it was a good deal. If you want any more info on it I can ask him what model it is.