The Firearms Forum banner

looking for a Bowie knife

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  killbuck 
G
#1 ·
I got the bug and I want one. Where to go?

I've done some looking, and I see these go for 25-35 bucks. Imposters?

Seriousley, I'd spend more than that for a decent pocket knife.:confused:

Supp widdat? Nobody make a quality Bowie knife? Or should I be looking at something else?

I'm looking for a nice outdoor blade that is versatile. Decent size and wt, that will cut saplings, dress kill, or cut veggies. Must be reasonably easy to resharpen.

Your ideas are welcome. Thanks.

#4 ·
the bucks are nice and I can usually skin 3 deer with a buck before toucing it up with a diamond stone

#9 ·
A Bowie isn't ideal for dressing kill. Far from it actually.
I've skinned deer with everything from a box cutter to a 12 inch bowie...I'd rather use the box cutter thn the bowie but I usually use a buck "selector" (made like a 110 but with 3 selectable blades) but I love bowies

#12 ·
I have a Ridgid, Bear Paw, Bowie Knife. I don't know if they still make them, or not, but I do know that there was one on Ebey a while back. They should run in the $100 -$150.

Attachments

#13 ·
I have a variety on hand...but my Bowie sure wouldn't be my pick for an all-round knife. My choice would be the 3rd or 4th knife in this pic. ;)
Top is the "Kansas" Bowie...Ernie Grospitch was the maker.
Second is the French Longknife...Billy Watson.
Third is my little drop point...Ernie Grospitch.
Fourth is my patch knife...Billy Watson.

#15 ·
I really like the shape of the 4th one in that pic there...

back to the op, if you want something easy to sharpen, dont grab a buck knife unless you have a full set of diamond sharpeners, not worth your time to try and sharpen em with anything else imo.

if you're looking for an all around knife thats common and generally well made, look at the shorter version of the K-Bar (or the longer, if thats what you prefer). i just think the short K-Bar is a pretty well rounded knife for most applications, if you're just limiting yourself to one (why would you do that? :D )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.