Looking for a good used Double 12gauge

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 3/2 STA SS, May 31, 2012.

1. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I am interested in gettting a good used double barrel 12 gauge. Any recomendations on a brand? I am not looking to spend a ton as I am going to cut the barrels down to 18.5 inches and redo the wood.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

You did not specify O/U or SxS.

If you will take an O/U, the Stoeger Condor, made in Brazil, by E R Amantino is hard to equal for the money.

It is a simplified copy of the Italian Beretta for about one third the money of the obviously much nicer finished and better Beretta.

I have one acquaintance, who averages about 23/25 as a skeet shooter, put over 25,000 shots through one before buying another because the first gun, while still serviceable, was about worn beyond economical repair. Many guns that cost twice as much start needing repairs before 20,000 shots, shooting skeet or trap.
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Looking for a double barrel-SXS. O/U are more pricey and since I am cutting it down why pay more $$$?
  4. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

For "recent manufacture" either the Stoeger or the Russian imports are viable. Any old Savage/Stevens/Springfield is usually nearly indestructible (unless you plug it up! lol) and parts are EVERYWHERE.
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

As previously mentioned, the Savage/Stevens/Springfield/Fox "B" SxS shotguns are very strong, durable guns; but they are getting pricey and often selling for much more than "Blue Book".

Amantino (Stoger) also makes a decent low end SXS.
  6. bobski

bobski Former Guest

why not buy one cut down>? get a rossi coach gun.
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

bobski (post #6) is right.

I did not notice that you intended to shorten the tubes, which you cannot do with many modern double guns because the barrels are joined only at the front and rear.

I would just buy any one of several 18 to 20 inch barrel SxS guns that are produced today, by several makers, that are primarily Brazilian or Russian.
  8. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I could be wrong - I dont wanna put words in his mouth - but I am guessing from his original post that 3/2 isnt looking to buy a new gun/spend new gun prices, but rather is asking if we have any suggestions on finding a USED S/S double, and/or if HE finds a cheap used double, are there any to "avoid" because they have issues with parts, serviceability, etc. Just guessing.

Along those lines, Winchester made a double in the 30's (the Model 24) which was a "working mans gun" at "working mans prices" unlike their 21's and 23's which cost more than a house these days, and while I have owned a number of em, the parts are out of sight, if you find one "cheap" but it needs work - so much as I hate to say it, 3/2, avoid the Winchester 24 unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure it works perfectly and isnt "developing" some issues that are indicative of impending breakage.
  9. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

The last 2 SxSs that I picked up were Stevens 311 and a Stevens 5100. Pretty much the same gun, different years. $200-$350, depending of course. Very solid shotguns. Rarely do you find one that is overly valuable, they were produced as affordable, working man's guns. The only issue with them is the little cocking plunger (can't remember just what it is called) will need to be modified (theres also a replaceable drop in you can get) so that it will stay open all the way to help with loading. With a shortened barrel, there not enough weight to help hold it all the way open. After that, use the heck out of it, you can't tear it up. But, most were only chambered in 2 3/4". If you're wanting 3" chambers, I'd go with a Stoeger coachgun, even though the barrels do have choke.
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thank you one and all....my search begins at the pawn shops this weekend and more seriously after our vacation.
  11. bobski

bobski Former Guest

rossi. the original cheap sbs.