The Firearms Forum banner

Looking for a 'Hawk

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  fraghappy 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a tomahawk to be carried when afield whilst hunting, fishing, and maybe hiking. There are many on the market of differing styles and shapes. I'd like something that's moderately light in weight that will hold a sharp edge.

I saw one on TV being made that the blacksmith made using two types of steel. He folded a piece of high carbon steel for the bit and used a milder piece of steel for the blade and eye. Then stuck a hickory handle in it.

Anyone have one you particularly like or dislike? Thanks-

#2 · (Edited)
no real recommendations, but i noticed this site when looking up one of my favorite camp candle systems (UCO), and noticed they are part of a larger company with Morakniv making knives and hatchets. Don't own one, but thought they might be of interest based on weight, etc. Their 'original candle lantern kits are great, use them all the time when power goes out during winter blizzards. Not sure what the reviews are for Morakniv stuff.
http://www.industrialrev.com/hunting-and-survival/

if you've never seen the nutnfancy youtube review site, might be of interest as he reviews tons of stuff like that. Cold Steel makes a few things that are impressive in that category.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Category/7_1/Tomahawks.aspx

#3 ·
Thanks for the links - I'll check them out.

I found one company that does forging and they make hawks from Vaughn 28 oz ballpeen hammer heads. Very pricy though, nearly $300. Way outta my price range for certain.

#7 ·
i have had the sog tomahawk for about 3 years now. it goes on every trip with me. i have done just about everything imaginable with this hawk and it has not broke. the blade holds a decent edge, and is easy to sharpen back up. the spike on the back is also very useful. i have trenched out around my bivy, pried rocks up, and even used it to help climb very steep mountainsides. To top it off it is only 40 bucks i believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.