Looking for a knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by engineermike, Aug 26, 2011.

1. engineermike

engineermike New Member

I have not owned a knife in 30 years, I would like to know what is a good brand of knife to buy. I am open to all suggestions and opinions on all knives.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! Your question is one that is wide open. What do you want this knife to do? A fighting knife? A hunting knife, a survival knife, or a camping knife? Help us help you, narrow it down a little. Personally, I really like the Gerber Big Rock. IMHO, it just about does it all. Check it out at: http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Big-Rock-Camp-Knife-22-01589.php
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Good choice , Carver. they have some vids on youtube about them. All good.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

For an off the shelf knife, I'm a big fan of SOG or Benchmade. There are thousands of choices out there, so a little info on what your usage would be is needed.

Welcome to the forum and we'll see you around,

Woolley
  5. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

engineermike welcome I would like to tell you about Cutco knives. In the past I have talked about Cutco in several threads for good reason. I have been buying,tradeing and selling hunting/fishing knives forty years. And most of them can not compare to cutco. My favorite is the white handle hunting knife in a gift box. The first time I saw it I laught this knife looks like a steak knife what a joke. I was dead wrong my knife has what they call the Double D serrated edge which works amazzingly well. Put it this way my buddy and I have field dressed eight big game animals with this knife and it is still very sharp. A lot of people get sticker shock when they go to Cutco.com. But with there service they are worth every dime!! Did I mention that there made in the USA. Well thats my 2cents worth good luck and have fun.
  6. denny 714

denny 714 Member

Buck has pretty good stuff too!

Denny G.
  7. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

Pretty much any cheap knife you find at smoke shops/ swap meet are not good knives. I own a Buck 110 and Gerber Evo and a CRKT M16, all are great, and I assume every knife those manufacturers make are made very well. However due to those knives' size, I think a Buck 55 or EVO Jr. would make the ideal every-day-carry folder.

I don't have any experience with quality fixed-blade knives.
  8. engineermike

engineermike New Member

Yes, I am looking for a quality manufacturer. As to what kind I need would come later as to size feel etc. I see quite a lot of knives at gun shows and gun shops but know nothing about the quality. I see Browning, Winchester make knives but know nothing of the quality. I know there is balance and feel and that all steel blades are not the same. (I shave with a straight edge razor) I have never had a problem putting an edge on a knife (for others) but keeping an edge on poor quality blade is easy but keeping it is difficult. Just looking for brands that make quality knives that stand up to a little abuse and still keep an edge with a little steeling.

Buck and Case used to be among the best years ago but now Gerber and CRKT are new names to me. I'll check them out, I know everyone who sells knives will tell you they are the best but then you can't find them at the next show or they are cheap knock offs. Thanks for your opinions...

Mike
  9. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Winchester, Browning, Remington, S&W, etc. don't make knives. They sell the name rights to others who generally have the knives made in China.
    Even Puma makes very few of their own knives.
    Benchmade is a good US maker, as is Case.
  10. engineermike

engineermike New Member

Good to know Bill, thank you.
  11. terminator

terminator Member

Buck and Case are manufacture good blades.
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

KERSHAW. The Leek is an amazing little knife assisted opening and sharp as hell.

I love kershaw knives and own three. Gerber are good knives but I find they are very hard to get sharp and keep sharp.

How much do you want to spend? What are you going to use it for?

Here is my next knife a SOG Aegis. http://sogknives.com/store/AE-02.html
  13. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I carry a Case pocket knife with non stainless blades for ease of sharpening. You get a sharper edge too. They're getting harder to find tho. I'll bet your razor isn't stainless.
  14. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Personally, I feel that you can never go wrong with a Spyderco, Benchmade or Kershaw.

All are fine knives
  15. engineermike

engineermike New Member

Well Hawg, One of my razors is stainless steel. It keeps the edge longer than any of the carbon steel razors I have but once it goes a little dull it take a while to put an edge back on it. I use the Norton man made stones and they work great, I also have a Norton flattening stone to keep my stone surfaces flat. I have read somewhere that the stainless steel in razor and knives is a softer material than carbon steel and that is why the edge last longer. (The edge will not break off as fast as the carbon steel edge)

Mike