Looking for a knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by engineermike, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

My favorite knives are from a smaller family owned knifemaking company in Michigan called "Bark River Knife and Tool". They make several different knives of varying sizes and styles, and they offer several handle materials from durable stuff like micarta and G-10, as well as some exotic woods if that is your style. They use primarily a proprietary heat treated A2 steel for most of their knives, although several models are available in stainless steel and also CPM steel. Also, almost all of their knives are convex ground, which is how knives and such were sharpened before the machine age. It has regained popularity among several knifemakers because of its inherantly stronger edge, and ease of sharpening. For some reason, they also seem to be addictive. Commonly called "Barkies" by people who own, use, and collect them.

I guess I put them between production knife companies, and custom knifemakers. The best of both worlds.

Fallkniven makes some good knives as well.

Tom
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

It's hard to give a good answer to your question without knowing what you're intended use is. If a pocket knife; I would favor a single blade locking folder. I personally carry a Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter and it's a good knife with excellent steel. If hunting; I have fallen in love with the Outdoor Edge knives. Their Swingblade is a fabulous gutter/skinner. For a fixed blade belt knife the options out there are nearly endless. You can spend less than $10 all the way up to thousands!
  3. steve666

steve666 New Member

Benchmade or Kershaw are teriffic. Below are two of my favorites.

Benchmade Presidio:
    [​IMG]

Kershaw Blackout:[​IMG]
  4. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Mike,would you be up to a little bit of lab experiment/TTD?I made knives for a living,and just recently started making again.Wondering how the intervening 15 years more time as a machinist have affected both my design sense and the sense of structure.Will be finishing out a batch of small belt knives in the next couple of weeks,and if you like;would be willing to send one off to you for trying it out.Simple functional designs,carbon steel(01,A2,L6),wooden slabs,but TOUGH.I also do my own leatherwork.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    A knife is just a tool. What works well for skinning out a critter, won't be the best choice for cutting wood for a camp fire. What do you want the knife to do? Some quality knife makers try to make a knife that will be a do it all knife, and some quality knife makers build knives for specific needs. Chop wood, slice tomattoes, skin a deer, defend your life, or do a little of everything? What are you looking for?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Ordered my Aegis Last Tuesday. Should be here early next week..
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

+1 for cutco
  8. Ronnie02

Ronnie02 New Member

Kershaw black horse II 1060A Oregon USA

[​IMG]
  9. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I have a Cold Steel Spartan, a Puma folder (made in Germany), A Gerber folder (the Bear Grylls one) and a bunch of Buck knives and old hand-me-downs. The better quality is the Gerber, the Cold Steel and brown (or patina/rust; could be the finish reacting to my sweet.) and the Buck knives are just cheap and are not worth the $0.25 the stamped metal it's made from.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree, all of these companies make good knives, when they are made here usually. Buck does have some of their cheaper knives made in China, and I wouldn't own one of them. They do have much better knives made right here in America.
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

For a good solid dependable fixed blade that has been around forever ,look at the Buck 119 skinner. These knives are still made with the older 420C stainless steel, but they just don't disappoint. Always there and always useful, no matter the situation. JMO
  12. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

Well, what would you fellows' picks be for each category? Everyday carry? Hunting? Survival/camping? Those of you who have already posted knives, what category do you consider those to be? Looking to learn a little something here. :)
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

14. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Mike, i'm a knife collector, i own over 100 folding knives alone.

Without knowing the purpose of use intended it is futile to answer your question.
  15. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

While searching for a new knife I discovered this small semi-custom knife company, www.barkriverknifetool.com They have a wide variety of fixed blade knives from EDC to Hunting to Survival, that are meant for heavy use. They also have exotic handle materials available if you want a safe queen. One of their notable differences from other knives is a convex edge, as opposed to a machine ground bevel. Convexed edges are inherently stronger than modern beveled edges, (do your own research) and are much more user freindly when it comes to sharpening. After general use I spend no more than a minute touching up my EDC blades with a belt hanging on a doorknob, and can shave the hair off my arm.
    I've had Kershaws, Bucks, Schrades, Cases, and none come close to a Bark River for me. I now own about 15 of their knives, and I wouldn't use anything else. Their only drawback if you can call it that, is they don't make any folders currently. They make some small EDC fixed blades that are pocketable. I think folders are too weak by design anyway, at least for me. Most of their knives are between $100 and $200 and come with the best warranty and customer service in the business. A few above that and a few below. I have no affiliation with them other than being a completely satisfied customer.

Tom