The Firearms Forum banner

Looking for a legal blade.

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  gvw3 
#1 ·
I live in Ohio and im not well versed on the law regarding the carrying of knifes, my CHL only covers handguns. So with that, does anyone know of a straight blade requirement? I carry a cheap folder for work, mostly for utility stuff. But i've been thinking about a non-folder or straight blade for self defense only.

Any recomendations?

#3 ·
Skipper, I don't see anything in that law you linked specifying anything other than spring assist and switchblades? (most of that law states the carrying of a firearm) No length requirements? I would think there would be.

#4 ·
And I do like that knife design. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
#10 ·
From what I understand it depends on where you are at the moment in OH on the blade length. LA has a simular problem. Baton Rouge says 4" is OK, but Monroe says that 3" is OK.

#11 ·
After talking to my nephew I don't think i'd want to carry a straight blade in ohio. He said go to http://codes.ohio.gov/ Look at code 2923.11 and 2923.12 I did and they are not very definitative at all and leave much to the discretion of the officer. Also you have the same problem because the law is so vague with city ordinance to city ordinance so what is fine in one city will get you arrested in another city. From what I read there does not seem to be any real definition of knife carrying length or open carry or concealed carry. The only no no I found was a spring blade knife.

#12 ·
Ambiguous laws such as these are our governments way of saying, no!

#13 ·
Ambiguous laws such as these are our governments way of saying, no!
Sad, I really want to carry a non folder, straight blade design. I doesn't have to be a bowie length or anything but maybe 3 to 4 inches would be fine. But i'd have to agree Carver.

Ohio has it's laws ironed out as far as concealed and open carry of a firearm, guess there is just not enough public concern to take the time for knifes.

#15 ·
#16 ·
I wonder how my diving knife fits in. It is one heck of a knife - kind of like a Crocodile Dundee knife.

#17 ·
Read this thing; http://knife-expert.com/oh.txt You will see that in some areas of the state anything over 2 1/2" is illegal.
I somehow missed that the first time, but ain't that some $#*%!!!
I guess for the average law abiding citizen, if your attacked by a thug, your at their mercy...just beg for your life and ya might live!
(not where I come from!) :AR15firing::thud:

#19 ·
I am not a fan of the tanto point or straight blades for self defense. They look cool but are not designed for slashing. For this you need a curved blade. Plus, a curved blade of the same length gives you more cutting edge to work with.
The Tanto point takes a lot more PSI to penetrate that other pointed shapes. Simple physics.

Just my two cents from a former Tanto point fan.

#20 ·
In the state of Illinois there is no limit to the size. You can carry This Buck knife. I had a friend that carried this for years every place he went.

Black Grey Material property Steel Silver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.