Looking for a light weight full size 9mm pistol?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Will Plugum, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Will Plugum

Will Plugum New Member

I'm shopping for a full size (not a compact) light weight 9mm pistol. I almost bought a Ruger P89 until I hefted it, way to heavy. I don't really like the blocky square look of most current designs but prefer the look of the 1911, Browning, CZ75 or simular. Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. wingspar

wingspar Member

Glock 17, but that may be blocky for you. I don't notice it at all myself. Only looks blocky next to something like the Ruger SR9. Take a look at the Ruger SR9. Light, not as blocky as the Glock.
  3. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Springfield XDM?
  4. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Like my Beretta 92, but loaded with 15 rounds in a double stack clip may be too heavy too.
  5. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Bersa Thunder 9.
  6. kda

kda New Member

If you liked the Ruger P89 except for weight, then you'd probably like the Ruger P95 (black, polymer lower) which is otherwise quite similar. I have both, like both. The tab for the P95 "New In Box" is around $300 or $315 here in Tucson ... just to give you an idea. They are nice weapons. I like my Glocks better, but have nothing bad to say about the P89 or P95. Good shooters. Lots of fans. In a great price range.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

A springfield XDM. trust me you wont be disappointed. i have worked with the XDs since they hit the market and the XDM 9mm is the most accurate of them all, slightly moreso than the .40 XDM...
  8. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Lots of nice Glock models out there.
  9. Cleatis123

Cleatis123 New Member

Ruger SR9. Slim, light, 17 rounds, nice gun.

Also CZ 75 SP01 Phantom, if you're into CZ's. Like a steel 75 SP01, but with a plastic frame (sorry, POLYMER).

Springfield XD, kind of blocky, but not all that bulky.

S&W M&P's are nice.

Me, I go with a Glock. They're ugly, have a funky grip angle (though I can shoot them ok enough), and crappy plastic sights (cheap enough to fix, but really for what we spend on these things, they should come with steel sights), but the low cost, reliability, accuracy and availability of parts and accessories more than makes up for the "shortcomings".
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  10. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

smith & Wesson 39 with aluminum frame is nice, 59's are double stack mags.
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

12. Cleatis123

Cleatis123 New Member

Ruger SR9 is a nice gun, I've shot them. Very Glockish trigger with better grip angle and ergonomics, and a thumb safety, for those who want that option.
  13. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

YES!!

The SR9's are very nice, I picked one up a few weeks ago and its very nice indeed! Ruger has hit yet another home run IMHO.......:cool:
  14. Cleatis123

Cleatis123 New Member

The trigger's pretty heavy, but Ghost Rocket makes a connector that is supposed to address that. Other than that, yeah, they are nice. Ruger finally got one right and did away with the DA/SA trigger.
  15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Springfield TRP I'm pretty sure is available in 9x19 as well as .45ACP. 1911s aren't really all that lightweight though, in my experience. Springfield XD's are very nice guns. Maybe a Sig Sauer P226? Someone suggested the CZ 75 platform too.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  16. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

It didn’t seem to bad to me, actually I thought it was a very nice pull, no drag and crisp release, but that's just me, maybe I got a good one.

I have large hands and long fingers which make a difference also.
  17. Cleatis123

Cleatis123 New Member

It wasn't bad, just heavier than I prefer. I don't carry, my guns are used for range fun, and in matches, so I generally like the triggers to be lighter and smoother.

I also like to have as little overtravel as possible, for quick follow up shots, the Ghost Rocket is excellent at getting rid of overtravel and making trigger reset on Glocks as quick as a 1911. You still have the longish initial pull, but subsequent shots are much nicer.
  18. Will Plugum

Will Plugum New Member

In answer to my question about a light weight full size 9mm, most seem to be steering me to the Ruger SR9 or Springfield. I will take a look at them and the Bersa Thunder 9. I have a Bersa thunder 380 that I'm very pleased with. Maybe I'll get it a 'big brother'. ;)
  19. wpage

wpage Active Member

You will not be holding the gun for very long typically. Go with one that fits your hand well. The Ruger 9mm all fit my hand and budget perfect. Stainless and composite made in USA you cant beat it. See if you can try one out B4 making your decision...Ask your dealer to show you how simple it breaks down!
  20. Will Plugum

Will Plugum New Member

wpage...good idea on the try out. You just reminded me that there is an indoor shooting range a few miles from my house that rents handguns. Trying before buying would be the smart thing to do,wouldn't it? Thanks...