The Firearms Forum banner

looking for a light weight gun to carry

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  cluznar 
#1 ·
I recently acquired my CCW and looking for a light weight gun to carry if need be and would like some feedback/opinions.

I’m considering the Taurus PT709 Slim for $370, Springfield XD SC 9mm for $499, or the Ruger LCP for $299.

I realize the difference in caliber but cost, weight, slim design, and a single stack magazine are important so I kind of ruled out the Springfield, plus I’d like to stay around $500.

I’m leaning towards the PT709… I’ve read some positive and some negative reviews but not enough to establish a good opinion w/o actually shooting one.

I like the Ruger LCP for cost and dimensions but am afraid the .380, even with hydrashocks, might not be enough stopping power.

Any input is appreciated.

#2 ·
I recently acquired my CCW and looking for a light weight gun to carry if need be and would like some feedback/opinions.

I'm considering the Taurus PT709 Slim for $370, Springfield XD SC 9mm for $499, or the Ruger LCP for $299.

I realize the difference in caliber but cost, weight, slim design, and a single stack magazine are important ( important because ......... ) so I kind of ruled out the Springfield, plus I'd like to stay around $500.

I'm leaning towards the PT709… I've read some positive and some negative reviews but not enough to establish a good opinion w/o actually shooting one.

I like the Ruger LCP for cost and dimensions but am afraid the .380, even with hydrashocks, might not be enough stopping power (for ........).

Any input is appreciated.
Welcome to TFF ! You may also want to check out the Ruger SR9c. Both Ruger and Taurus made suitable semi-autos within your budget. Bersa makes some decent guns too. That being said, there are a ton of options out there, the best way to figure it out is to get you hands on some guns and fire them if you can. Range rentals and friends are a good way to go. If that is not possible, then figure out what your needs are and what possible situations you may encounter. I highlighted some areas in the quote. Chose a gun based on your needs and budget; take the reviews with a grain of salt and don't rule out a used gun either.

Here would be my ??? for you in order to better point you in a good direction :

1 - what is the main need to carry? ie - hunting backwoods, been carjacked/robbed enough this year, general self defense.

2 - what do you typically wear and what climate? ie do you plan on CC with summer attire

3 - where to you plan to carry? IWB, shoulder, etc

Proabably a few more good ??? that need to be asked, but my brain is fried right now. There will be some better powered noggins along before long. Deteremine you needs as best as possible and then start looking for a gun. You'll be able to narrow it down much faster.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I currently own a Glock 17 and it’s too bulky for me to carry and doesn’t fit my grip really well. My main reason for carry is general self defense and day/weekend trips through the desert. Here in Phoenix I’m sweating all the time so I’m looking at a IWB or for a .380, a pocket holster.

The 26 would be an ideal choice but the grip is the same as the 17 and I’d like to buy something different. As with anything, the reviews I been reading on the PT709 are balanced and I might have to agree on waiting for the Taurus until it has proven itself and been on the market for awhile.

I agree about range rentals and will definitely go this week. I’d like to get a couple suggestions before I go.

#5 ·
If you have ruled out the Springfield SC then I would look at Ruger SR-C. It's a thinner profile than the Springfield and it a stronger caliber at 9MM than the LCP. Also don't rule out a revolver. I just picked up a Ruger LCR and it is slick, excellent trigger and disappears in a pocket or holster and at 13 1/2 oz you forget you have it with you.

#6 ·
You might consider the little Kel-tec PF9, in 9mm. They are thin and light.
I can carry one in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster in jeans pocket.
They are selling at $279 or so + tax, in Indianapolis.

Actually my DSW owns one that I borrow once in a while, if she lets me.
It's lighter in a pocket than my Ruger SP101. And it carries 7 +1, IIRC.
Nice little auto. I thinking of buying one for me.

#7 · (Edited)
I own the Kel-Tec PF-9, the Taurus PT-709 and the Ruger LCR. Now... the pickle is .......which one to carry, because I love each of them. I strongly lean to the PT-709 because of the trigger and safety. Still...that LCR..........then there IS the PF-9....

#8 ·
A Kel-Tec PF-9 rides in my pocket sans holster with no adverse affects whatsoever.

#9 · (Edited)
I just bought a Kahr.
Single stack mag, so it is super thin and lite weight. The 9mm is a strong round, and with an extra mag I can carry 16 rounds even while wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

They can be had for around $400 brand new, and are considered to be extremely reliable.

I also have an LCR, so I gotta throw that suggestion in there too.

#10 ·
You named 3 pistols that you are considering carrying. Just out of thin air I'd like to make a statement on the PPK (S&W) .380 in stainless steel. I carry one. It is pricey (between $400-$500), has no manual slide release and is quite heavy for a .380. You wisely omitted that one from your llist.

On the positive side, it has never misfired or otherwise mal-functioned, and being stainless steel I don't worry that much about it getting wet from rain or perspiration. Has a 6 round single stack mag. The mags with the finger rest are very comfortable to use.

Not to open a can of worms over the .380 vs 9mm debate, a conceal carry gun is intended for point-blank use. I think someone gut shot at 5 feet could'nt tell you if they were shot with premium defence ammo was a .380 or a 9mm.

#11 ·
Brandy I have to agree about a concealed gun being mainly used for point-blank use and that’s why I’m leaning towards a .380.

Lately I been looking at a lot of different guns, size and caliber that I’d like to own, especially the Springfield XD SC, Glock 26, and even a Kahr PM9 but being unemployed and currently going back to school I’m working on a limited budget. I’d rather spend around 300 than 500+ at this time, however I’ve not been able to locate the Kel Tec PF9 anywhere around the valley and I’m not sure why.

I’m anxious to get a new toy and I’m totally digging that LCP for some reason. I can wait to own another large caliber pistol until finances improve, after all I still have my Glock 17, and when they do I’m seriously going to go back for the Springfield XD. That is just a cool looking gun.

Thanks guys for all your inputs!

#12 ·
Kahr CW9. PM9's lighter and smaller, but plastic framed and more expensive; less capacity as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.