Looking for a new caliber

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gearheadpyro, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I'm looking to pick up a new (light) gun for hunting in the southeast but am having difficulties with caliber choice. I'm leaning towards .243 win, but barrel life seems to be pretty short according to what I've read (1500 rnds?). If I get a .243 I would shoot the heavier stuff, 105 a-max and the like, that should help barrel life as it would be slower.

What are your thoughts on accurate calibers suitable for hunting with a long barrel life?
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

3. Freebore

Freebore New Member

That's interesting to hear.....the .243 is probably one of the most popular cartidges ever chambered in a rifle and has an excellent track record to boot. If the .243 is hard on barrels, I would suspect all other mid-pressure rounds would be too. The life of any barrel is soley dependant on what kind of load you put in it. I would say that the .243 is an excellent round when loaded to factory specs, believe it or not, but the 220 Swift/300 Win Mag (known as a notorious barrel burners) are quite easy on barrels today due to the newer metals being used by barrel manufacturers.

I don't believe anyone could go wrong by chosing the .243 (or 6MM Rem) ...the 105 has good knockdown power for larger game and the lighter bullets make excellent wind bucking long range varmint loads.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

243 Winchester hard on barrels..... I think not!

Are you sure the comment was not made of the new super short magnum 243 (WINCHESTER 243 SUPER SHORT MAGNUM) that Winchester and Browning are pushing. Those are hot cartridges with lots of powder to burn out barrels or wear them out with high velocities.

243 Winchester is an excellent choice!

LDBennett
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

260 or 6.5x55!!
  6. more forty fives

more forty fives New Member

That's new to me I have a Ruger no.1 that's 20 years old it has at least 3500 rounds through it.And the barrel look's new.
  7. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

It may be that the person I was reading was talking about loosing the match edge, not loosing all accuracy period.

Anybody know about the 6.5x47 Lapua? Does it have enough punch to knock down deer? How is barrel life for it?
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

139gr bullet @ 2800fps should be more than enough to knock down a deer.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek084.html

9. Bert Gummer

Bert Gummer New Member

What about the new Long Range Hunter that Savage
    has put out....6.5 X 284???????If that's too big what
    about the 25-06?????????????I don't think you'll have
    any troubles out of either a .243 or the 25-06 unless
    you load to the max and shoot alot of rounds and get
    the barrel hot...and that 6.5 x 284 is like a BR round....
  10. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

The .260 Remington is a great round.
  11. Sandman

Sandman New Member

My .243 is my got to gun and I have always shot 100 grain loads through it. I have never heard of barrel troubles with any .243's and don't think it would be any harder on barrels than any other caliber. I think your source was simply misinformed. I don't think you would be disappointed with a .243. The other calibers suggested would be good as well.
  12. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I posted this question on several forums and by a wide majority the most common response was the .260 Remington, after a little more digging on my own I think I know why. Looks like I'll be headed in that direction.

Thanks for your help.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Good one!!! I would also recommend a 7X57 mauser chambering in a ruger #1 or a T/C encore from the custom shop. Both can be had for less than 1000 bucks, and both will last you a lifetime, and if taken care of, your childrens lifetimes...