The Firearms Forum banner

Looking for a new deer rifle

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Shooter970 
#1 ·
Hello this is my first time posting on here and I'm a female hunter. I like to use a old British 303 for deer, I love old military rifles like that. And I'm looking to buy another one. Can you give me some names of old rifles like the British 303 and mauser rifles like that. I don't know why but I just love these styles of rifles. Thank you!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! Good to hear that you like to hunt, and that you like the old military style rifles!! They are a great choice! However, I don't know much about them myself. Some of the other members will be along shortly that have much more knowledge than I do. I just want to welcome you to the forum!

#3 ·
Fir an old time easy to carry rifle with a military vintage thing Mosin-Nagant M38 carbine. If you can handle the .303 you should be able to handle the 7,62X54 and it will surely be accurate enough for deer.

#6 · (Edited)
You could look for an M48 in 8MM very well built not expensive plenty aftermarket stocks and triggers ,,or a 6.5 Swede a bit more pricey ,,,I shoot the M48 on a regular basis and was amazed that experimenting with loads and adding an after market trigger made it a very sweet shooter,,I also own a Nagant long rifle but prefer the Yugo

#13 · (Edited)
Welcome to TFF! Well that didn't work. I tried to rotate the picture. I'm sure someone more computer savvy than I can fix it.

#15 ·
03-A3 (.30-06) is a great choice as would be a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55, if you can find a mauser in the carbine, it is a super light gun and a good shooter. the '06 will take care of just about any game on this continent although more recoil and heavier. Still not bad though.

lots of good choices, those are the first two that come to my mind. A nice .30-40 krag is another fine rifle...

#19 ·
I have used my Garand and my brother uses his K31. I have read of people using the M1 Carbine, sufficient if the marksmanship is up to it and the range is around 60 yards or less. Polish cousin used to use his AR-15 and if my bank account could stand the strain I would happily use a M1A rifle.

#22 ·
I have a mosin nagant m44 carbine I'm planning to take a deer with this fall !

#24 ·
I do hunt with an M1A, by far one of the more powerful rifles out there function wise. Hard to beat as long as you don't push the range too aweful far. It will work beyond most people's skill level on just about everything. But like said, plan on laying out $2-3K for a good one plus accessories.

course mine fell overboard on my last fishing trip, I'm so clumsy! but I hope to get another one someday..... my first choice for a rifle for sport or hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.