looking for a new gun

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by sorral, Dec 22, 2006.

1. sorral

sorral New Member

My wife and I are looking for new 1911 guns, my wife wants a stainless compact model, and I would like a comact model or a full sized model.
    We are on a budget, and I have priced all the major makers, springfeild(love them have had one) para, kimber, and have been recently reserching the taurus.....with what I have read in these forums, I am confident that 'yall can help us with some good advise.

thanx
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Welcome to TFF.

Since you are on a budget, don't overlook the used 1911's in your area. A used Springfield Armory 1911 can be had for less than $400. If you just have to have new, :D , check out the Charles Daly 1911. I've had a few of those and they a good pistol for about the same money. Whatever you purchase, pick up a couple of Wilson Combat mags. Especially for the Charles Daly 1911.

Good luck and keep us posted on your purchase.
  3. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

I just got a Springfield but haven't got to fire it yet. I had a Kimber
    which was a good gun. Just sold it to get the Springfield because
    it had more of the features I wanted for the best price. Springfields
    are definitely lower priced from what I have seen. I have heard only
    good things about the Taurus 1911 so far. I will probably pick up one in the
    future. They have a good price for the features I hear.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome
    I would go with Springfield because they are more affordable and just as good as the rest. And with the price difference between a Springfield and a Kimber you could have Springfields custom shop add on some goodys
    Night sites and so on
    Check out their website
  5. Jay

Jay New Member

I'd suggest you get your hands on all of the pistols you're considering, BEFORE you spend any money. If the pistol doesn't "feel right" to you, you won't like shooting it enough to become proficient with it. I buy hand guns like I buy shoes...... I try 'em on first. The hunt for the "right fit" is fun all by itself. :)
  6. Shooter45

Making a 1911 fit your hand is as easy as changing the trigger and /or mainspring housing.
  7. Jay

Jay New Member

Ok, I stand corrected, and certainly educated....... perhaps it's easier to buy a pistol, then modify, or have it modified to suit you. Obviously, it's a "suit yourself" situation.
  8. Shooter45

Jay, if you have small hands, use a short trigger and a flat mainspring housing. I personally use a long or extra long trigger and an arched mainspring housing. There are many variations in between. It's one of the things that make owning a 1911 so attractive. :)
  9. sorral

sorral New Member

I have been trying to do some reserch about the Charles Daly 1911 line.
    I have been seeing good reviews and seeing folks that regret the purchase...what I would need is to have a gunsmith give me his/her opinion of one, the fit, the functionality, and overall quality and accuracy...I have been checking on the availability of the taurus, but no one around here says they can get their hands on one for 6mos. to a year
  10. Shooter45

I thought I did in my first post but will again.

I have owned a few Charles Daly 1911's and found the newer ones to be accurate and reliable. The finish is not that of a Colt or Kimber but is not bad either. The mags that come with the Charles Daly 1911's are, in my opinion, junk and should be replaced with Wilson Combat or Metalform mags. Most of the problems with even the older CD 1911's are mag related.

The trigger pull was about 4 pounds on the pistols I owned. One broke like glass and one had a little creep which was fixed in a couple of minutes.

After 300 rounds the pistols were broken in and never gave any problems.
  11. sorral

sorral New Member

no disrespect intended, I was commenting about the quallity of the Phillipino steal used, I have a friend who is a retired gun smith, and he said that would be his main concern about the CD.
  12. Shooter45

None taken. I'll bet your retired gunsmith doesn't like Norinco 1911's either. :rolleyes:

You asked for advise and we gave you our best. Buy what will make you happy and good luck with your purchase. :)
  13. sorral

sorral New Member

Thanx
    I just want to make sure we are getting the most bang for the buck(pun intended).
  14. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

15. sorral

sorral New Member

I have been calling around to my local gun stores, and we probably will not be able to get Taurus 1911s around here till june.
  16. infldfly

infldfly New Member

Have my mind set on the Kimber Tactical model. Can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages to either the 5" custom model or the 4" Pro model? I do understand the difference in the 4" model having a bull barrel, but I was wondering specifically if the 4" model has any speed advantage on presentation or factors in recoil or weapon retention?
  17. Shooter45

Welcome to TFF.

The 4" barrel is a little easier to conceal due to the overall length. I carry a Colt Combat Commander for that reason only. I prefer a 5" barrel because of the added weight and longer sight radius for competition. I personally cannot tell any difference in recoil as I am not recoil sensitive.

As far as retention, I can't tell any difference and maybe that has to do with training. Same with presention.
  18. Jay

Jay New Member

Seeing how I have both 4" and 5" 1911's, I'll venture my opinion..........

4" Pro CDP, and Pro Carry SLE (both series 1 guns) lighter, faster presentation, easier to conceal, a bit more recoil......

5" Sig GSR 1911 heavier by about 6 oz, presentation probably a bit slower, because I'm used to the Pro CDP being my carry gun, but similar presentation should be a minor issue with practice. concealment isn't a big issue, as it's only another inch. (I'm 6' 1", and 205 lbs).

Accuracy of both is quite similar... all are able to outshoot me. A bit less recoil in the GSR, but the difference isn't that great.

Retention, in my opinion is more determined by the holster than barrel length.

I like all three of my 1911's, and have had NO function issues with any of them, but I think Sig has the edge on Kimber in the quality dept. The Sig 4" barrel will be my next 1911.

Just my two cents.......

Semper Fi
  19. warhorse1

warhorse1 New Member

The CD "Officer's size" is an ok pistol for the money. Mine has been quite reliable. Internally it is very rough, externally it looks ok. I put the ultra thin McCormic carry grips on it. The weight is the reason I don't carry it more, well that and the fact that I have a Ultra Carry.
    [​IMG]
    wh1
  20. boticron

boticron New Member

New York State , United States of America
    paras warthog is a realy nice piece, for carry purposes. Having ten rounds of 45 is a nice round number for such a short grip weapon. But the extra bulk may turn you off to it as a carry rig. I always here mixed impressions. But the LDA trigger is a thing of beauty. If I had to choose based on price alone I would go with a springfield. I own a standard which i have built up over the years to be a very accurate piece.