looking for a pin for a 32 h&r young america 3rd generation

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by elmster01, Oct 3, 2012.

1. elmster01

elmster01 New Member

i have a 3rd generation h&r young America in .32 cal i am missing the locking pin to hold the chamber in place haven't been able to find one anywhere. If anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it. If you need pics posted i can do that also.
  2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Hold the chamber in place? I'm not sure what you mean. A picture would help.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I would guess the OP means the cylinder center pin. If so, the parts places ran out years ago as losing the center pin is a common problem with those revolvers. ALmost always, you have to have someone make one; whether doing so is cost effective for an old gun of low value is up to the owner.

Jim
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jim i charged $35 for one that was not a lot of work ( standard sized shaft and thread and i put on a knurled end outta OO ( oil quenched tool steel)

as its only the knurling and thread on some ( regular size rod , no machining to size ) if i gotta machine it to size , then add $25

that was a .22 cal one though dunno the shaft for .32 but thats how i'd charge it they aint super complex in design
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Jack, I know making a center pin is no big deal, I have made a bunch of them. But things rarely stop there with those old guns. If you make the pin, and find the gun is out of time, or has a broken sear, or has a trigger return spring broken, do you fix that or not? If you do, your easy fix becomes a lot harder and more costly, and the customer will be happy to tell you that he didn't ask you to fix anything else and won't pay. If you don't fix the other stuff, then the customer bad mouths you, saying he brought in a gun and you just fixed one thing but now the gun is out of time, the sear is broken, etc.

Even at your prices, which would be low in the U.S., spending even $35 or $60 on a gun that might retail for $50 doesn't make sense and I don't like to see a customer waste his money. Most gunsmiths just avoid the whole issue by refusing to work on those guns in the first place.

Or maybe you just have nicer customers where you work.

Jim
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

here it normally goes like this

me , well here the troubles, there $50 to fix it but then the sears almost gone and that spring , sear i can redo and springs are avialable but that all $250 for a $125 Gun

and even then you be back within 2 years with something else worn or busted

would you like $150 trade on a decent used gun ?

customer hmmm let me think about it

the thinking either lasts 2 seconds or 2 years .. or is ongoing ... few between ;)

but!

some folks still want the fixed , i've done $600 jobs on $150 dollar guns , hey they have cash or card and ID and permit , all's good .

i can only ask so many times ya know ..

( $600 dollar job was converting a 38 long to .22 WMR so they could keep it on a lesser permit coulda bought a NAA mini and had a better and more valuable gun for less cause the smith and worth (less) will never be more than $150 for BNIB a POS hardware store gun sold here in the 20's similar to some spanish or eurotrash ones )
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well at least I never had to convert a .38 to a .22 WMR. I have been in those kinds of "negotiations" also.

It is not customary (or was not then) to ask for up front money. I remember one gentleman who wanted his father's old revolver repaired, cost no object (and no doubt he had money!) even though I told him it would cost more than the gun was worth. So I fixed the gun and handed him a bill that seemed reasonable. He told me that he had asked around (no internet then) and been told the gun was junk that he wouldn't pay, etc., etc.

Just part of the reason I stopped accepting those guns.

Jim