looking for a pump 22LR

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pops42, Jul 5, 2010.

1. pops42

pops42 New Member

high up on the blue ridge mountains of Va.
    hi, i have been looking for a pump 22 for a while now the only ones i can find is henry's do any of yall know how else makes one?pops42
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Remington makes (made?) the 572 Fieldmaster. Last price I saw was well over 400. Browning made a pump, but pretty sure it's been discontinued. It, also (obviously - it was a Browning) was fairly expensive. Rossi used to make a copy of the Winchester 1890. When Taurus bought Rossi they continued it, but I think it has been discontinued, in the last couple of years, also.

Not a whole lot of choices in a pump 22. Folks don't seem to like 'em, so they don't make 'em.
  3. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Yea, and thats too bad. Most pumps can handle shorts, long and long rifle rounds, and the stroke is so short (in a 22) that they are great fun to shoot. If it weren't for cowboy action, pumps (except shotguns) might be a thing of the past.
  4. pops42

pops42 New Member

yea, my brother used to have a Rossi, i recken i will just keep looking for a used one. or might just say the hake with it and add another henry to the rest of my guns.
  5. Steve E

Steve E New Member

I have had 2 different Rossi pumps over the years and wish I had both of them back. They were a ball to shoot. My first was the rifle version and the second was the Carbine version. I liked the rifle version the best even killed a few tree rats with it. Mine were before Taurus and didn't have the safety on top of the bolt.

Steve E...........
  6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin used to make 'em...but stopped in 1932.

I've got a Marlin 37...the pinnacle of hammer'd pump .22's
    [​IMG]

But what the world REALLY needs is a nice Tacticoon-type Pump .22lr rifle...that also has a .22WMR big brother.
    Unfortunately, nobody makes one....but Benelli is on the right track...wonder if we can talk 'em into doing a rimfire set??
    [​IMG]
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What is your intent for the rifle? If you're just looking for plinking and having some fun, then go with the Henry, the best bang for your buck. If you're wanting a dead on balls accurate rifle, go with the Marlin. If you want a collectors piece, go with the Browning (d.o.b.a. also). The Marlins are fine guns and collectable as well. If money was no object, I would buy up a few Brownings. My uncle has one and it is one of the finest and funnest shooting rifles regardless of caliber.
  8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Keep an eye out for one of the early Rossi's before Taurus got involved. They are an exact copy of the Winchester 62A, and they may have even made the Mdl 61 replica. Great shooters, accurate and a ton of fun to shoot. I bought one back in the early 80s for $100. Great gun.
  9. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

i've got a winchester model 61. they're old but great guns. they even made some specialized ones that had barrels designed for rat shot.
  10. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Pops42,

In the used market probably the best value, generally, will be a Savage pump. They made clip fed pumps, Model 1903 and 1909, and tube fed models, 1914, 25, 29,29A and 29B. Some of the later 29B's were grooved for scope mounting. Should be able to get into for 250 to 350. If you like the look of octagon barrels models 1914,25,29,and some 29A's.

Any good Winchester and nice Remington's will run more, in some cases, much more.
  11. pops42

pops42 New Member

sounds good ,i will see what i can find, you got any idea's
  12. steve99f

steve99f New Member

I don't have any for sale Pops42 right now. The usual auction websites are where you can see some.
  13. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

Here's a picture of my Rossi .22 pump.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. pops42

pops42 New Member

Ok, thanks for that i'll keep a eye on them for one. that Rossi looks about like the one my brother had. thats why i am looking for one, but he don't know that i am trying to find him one yet.:D
  15. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Pops42,

A pic of some Savage 22 Pumps, from the top: Model 1903, 1914, 29,29A. The 1903 uses a box magazine instead of the tubular magazine. The heavy Octagonal bbls hang very nicely.

Attached Files: