The Firearms Forum banner

Looking for advice, girlfriends first carry pistol.

4K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  SBH 
#1 ·
As of yesterday my girlfriend finally got her carry permit. Now we need to decide on a pistol. What are your thoughts on a good daily carry pistol for a woman? Keep in mind she works in a very professional field, so her attire is normally dresses, not the best for concealed carry.

Here is some info on what she has shot and likes or dislikes.

Full size 1911 .45 ACP. Smooth shooter, comfortable, far too big for her to conceal
SA XD .40 sub compact. A bit too snappy, a bit too thick.
SA XD 9mm sub compact. Shot great, comfortable, still too thick.
Ruger LC9 9mm. Way too snappy, not enough grip size, but nice and compact.
S&W M&P .22LR. Very comfortable shooting, too large for carry and only a .22

Other options are:
S&W M&P Shield in either 9mm or .40. She likes the feel and look, but hasnt shot yet.
SA XDs 9mm. A bit small, but worth looking at, hasnt shot yet.
Glock 42 .380. Looks and feels good, but hasnt shot yet.

So what are your thoughts and opinions on these guns or others?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not as powerful as the others, but a Beretta Tomcat 32 or Kel Tec P32 may fit the bill for concealability. Plus the smaller round wouldn't produce the recoil that a 9mm or .40 would.

#3 ·
I've always been a fan of Berettas, I'll add that to the list, thanks.

#4 ·
My wife is petite and has several guns and has shot many other guns. She keeps coming back to her XD sub 9mm as her favorite and most comfortable shooter. Haven't seen them yet but check out the new XD sub mod 2s. She does not care to shoot my XD sub 40.

She also has an LCP ( which I would not recommend as a first or only gun), which she does not enjoy shooting but realizes it has a valid purpose so she tolerates it.

Second to her XD sub is her G17 or G22.

#6 ·
Over the past five years, every woman that has shot my wife's Bersa has said it was the best gun they have tried. Since your gf will be in professional business attire she may need to stick with something smaller and more concealable while on the job.

My wife also has and carries a BG380 as her edc for "business" days. But, she will carry her Bersa or one of her 24/7 Pro C's in 45acp or 40sw when her attire & activities allow for it.

-

#7 ·
if a lcp in .380 is too snappy, then the p3at likely is too.. but as mentioned. try a keltec P32 less oomph.. but still better than harsh words when you are being attacked.

also look at carry options.

they make vests, purses, fanny packs.. etc.

#9 ·
She hasnt tried the LCP in .380 yet, but I dont think she likes the rugers. They just arent comfortable to her.

I will add the bersa 380 and sig p230/232 as well, thanks

#11 ·
You left one out. A small .38 special revolver.
Easy to conceal as they make a purse that has a concealment compartment.
And it has manageable recoil with self defense ammo.
Any of the lightweight snubnosed revolvers should fit the bill.
No slide to retract or hard double action trigger to squeeze.
You may want to try one before she makes her decision.
My wife is small and the Colt Cobra is perfect for her.

#13 ·
I'd also have her try an XDS in both 9 and 45.
Yeah, that one is on the list above for her to try. She has seen it, but not handled or shot it. Thanks.

I did actually leave that out, thanks. I have a S&W airweight in .38 and I love it. Honestly, I cant remember if she shot it or what her opinion of it was. But I will add it to the "To be tried and discussed" list. Thanks

if she doesn't like the lcp because it is a ruger.. look at a keltec p3at very very similar
Its not because its a ruger, I think she said it just didnt feel comfortable in her hand, the texture on the grip was too aggressive and it wasnt comfortable. Maybe a Ruger LCR would fit the bill better, those are pretty light and comfortable in my opinion. Ill throw the keltec on the list too. Thanks

#14 ·
A nice S&W 642 airweight. My wife carries hers in her purse attimes and doesn't even notice the ddifference in weight.

#17 ·
Thats what I have for my summer pocket carry. such a smooth shooter, I love it.

I don't have much to add from this end, other than be real sure that the pistol that she choses is really her choice! Like most of us, she'll probably wind up with several before she really settles down to just one. I don't recommend any pistol for a lady, that's her choice.
I couldnt agree more, I am just trying to get her a list of quality pistols that meet her criteria. Then yes, let HER choose.

#15 ·
I don't have much to add from this end, other than be real sure that the pistol that she choses is really her choice! Like most of us, she'll probably wind up with several before she really settles down to just one. I don't recommend any pistol for a lady, that's her choice.

#16 ·
My wife carries a Bersa 380 and having been in the gun business for several years, I can tell you I have shown and sold more Bersas to women than any other gun. It is perfect size and weight and the slide is one of the easiest to operate and its very dependable and the price is hard to beat. Semi autos are not for everyone though and Shooters recommendation for a revolver may work.

#22 ·
My wife carries a Smith 38spl in the bottom of a purse made for carry. Loves it and the access.

#23 ·
Walther PPQ in 9mm. My wife loves it. It has adjustable grips and the factory trigger is under 5lbs., and it is very accurate. I love this gun as it is totally ambidextrous as well.

#24 ·
Shooter 45 is right on. I think that a small frame S and W .38 revolver, stub nose, Smith has women's models, would be the most trouble free and easiest to learn to handle and shoot of all of the guns on the market. She needs to handle a shoot many different pistols. And not be concerned on how they look. How they handle and shot is what matters to her.

#26 ·
As of yesterday my girlfriend finally got her carry permit. Now we need to decide on a pistol. What are your thoughts on a good daily carry pistol for a woman? Keep in mind she works in a very professional field, so her attire is normally dresses, not the best for concealed carry.
Thanks in advance.
I would not be a responsible member if I failed to recommend the Sig P238 (.380 ACP) or Sig P938 (9mm Luger). I have both, and would entrust my life to either at any time. Every woman who has fired either of them fell in love with the gun, as the size, weight, and grip is far better than any other in the same class. They're pricey, but the quality shows...

#27 ·
The Smith 642 is my lazy carry or backup. Walther 9mm PPS single stack is easy to rack, slim grips and amazingly accurate. Carry with 6 or 7 round mag and the 8 rounder spare. Tell her never to put a gun naked in her purse. A soft side pocket sleeve will help hold it in position and keep the trigger from being snagged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.