Looking for advice on Walther PP

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by George W, Dec 1, 2009.

1. George W

George W New Member

I am an amateur collector of WWII firearms looking for some sage advice and knowledge on a Walther PP I purchased a year or so ago. The SN is 318869P on both the right side of the slide forward and just below ejection port. The frame is the same SN and it is on the right side just behind the trigger and is stamped perpendicular to the slide. The barrel has an Eagle over N (maybe) right in the ejection port area. Right below on the slide is the same stamped marking but not as crisp. On the left side the slide carries the Walther banner followed by "Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella-Mehlis (Thur)". Under this is "Walther Patent 7.65 X" (maybe on the X -hard to tell even at 10X magnification). There are two additional stampings on the left side. On the frame just behind the trigger and below the mag release is "WaA359" under a eagle. Just above the mag release is the same eagle stamping but without the acceptance stamp. There are no other markings inside or out. The grips are black plastic with the Walther Banner with some small nicks and wear, but no cracks. It has a 60 degree safety/decock on the left side that works very smothly, Bore is very good. I'm no expert on blueing but I would have to say wear at the muzzel, top front sight, and some burnishing on the backstrap but other than that it is all there just kind of dull and flat looking. Lastly the milling marks on both the barrel and frame are clearly visible, but smoth to the touch. I was looking to purchase a decent example of a wartime PP that I could shoot and enjoy, l paid $500. I like it so much it is my daily carry. Given the above is it truly a wartime (1940-1945) German Walther PP and where and when was it made if that can be known?
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The Eagle over N { proof markings } was first used in 1940, the Eagle over WaA 359 was the Military acceptance ( for Walther ) from 1941 to 1945, the serial number seems to be 1941. Grips are correct for the era. If your Walther PP is 90 percent or even 80 percent you paid about half value. If you are going to carry this piece, please take off the grips, secure them and put replacement grips on. The grips are either a hard black rubber reinforced with a metal insert or a plastic similar to Bakelite { German term Duroplast } and are brittle with age and prone to breakage. Because so many grips were broken, lost or replaced, original grips alone will bring a couple of hundred. Best I can do, hope it helps, and who knows , the info may even be correct or at least worth what you paid for it :) P.S. The gun was made in the Walther factory in the twin cities of Zella-Mehlis, Thuringer, a gun making region that was over run by the Russians [ I believe]. Waffenfabric Walther translates loosely to Walther's arms ( or weapons ) factory ( or works ).
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. George W

George W New Member

I appreciate the info. I was reading many of the posts on the PPK and just thought I would ask about the PP as I'm an amateur at collecting WWII weapons, try do my homework, but not alweays sure what I'm looking at as I don't specialize other than US /European WWII firearms, trying to get one of each. The grips are coming off and being replaced with Crimson Trace laser types. I thought the originals grips might be bakelite, but wasn't sure as bakelite is a pretty brittle material.

Again thanks for the info.