Looking for advise for a framing nail gun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Jun 27, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing as a nail gun that shoots nails ment for use with concrete form boards? Typ a concrete nail has 2 heads. It makes it easy to remove and reuse the form board. Is there a nailer that shoots these nails?
  2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

yeah, they have them. T-nailers. cost around 300, most building supply stores can get them. not usually found at home depoy or lowes, but you can try. If it's a small project, rent one. great for hurricane straps also.
  3. cycloneman

i dont think that is what i am looking for

I want to shoot these nails.

Isnt a t nailer for shooting into concrete? I want to shoot form lumber and leave the second head up to remove it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Just get a frameing nailer and set the depth to leave the nail 1/4 to 1/2" up.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

6. cycloneman

That will help. Thanks. I have been calling them double headed nails. Figured someone would know.
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  8. medalguy

medalguy Member

9. cycloneman

10. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

When I was pouring concrete for the union the men that set the frames for us used them I am not sure ware they got them so I can't help you with that.
    But at lest you know they are made.
    I helped a friend stud out a house frame once with a nail gun it was the first time I used one the nail skiped off the stud and right thru my finger he took me to the hospital and when they took out there tool box and used a pair of pliers to pull it out.:yikes:
    So be safe with it.When you use it please.
    Mike
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  11. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

12. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I buy all my nail guns from Senco or distributors thereof. Hard to imagine a stuation where a duplex nailer would be usefull though. In what capacity would you mass shoot dupes while hanging forms?
  13. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I think they have nailers for everything now!

I was out on my deck one morning saw three Amish (or Mennonites) guys put up my neighbor's small barn up a few years ago, I was thinking I was going to see some good old craftmanship.....more like a Craftsman compressor, they used it on almost everything, frame, siding, shingles.

Plus these guys were like machines working -and- I never said a word to each other, nothing and it was done in maybe 3 hours or less.

Amazing, the guys that built my deck in 1989 hand hammered everything including rafters, joist, beams, shingles. They compound mitred the roof rafters going up at a pitch. Excellent work, they only used the compressor on the brads for the ballusters.
  14. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

http://www.nailgundepot.com/SD426-31...d-Details.html
    these are a 22 degree plastic strip nail. hitachi and any other round head strip nailer should shoot them. the senco nails appear to be a coil nailer, holds more nails that a strip, more compact, but the wire holding the nails tends to blow all over the place. cheaper in the long run.
    as an aside, I always bought hitachi, never had a problem except for a broken piston now and then. but they were used commercially so...dropped one 40 feet onto a poured basement floor; it laughed it off.
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I hand hammered my deck except for my deck boards which I screwed in. Then I way over built it. Where code called for 2x10 I used 2x12 doubled up on 6x6 posts laid 2x10 on top and put deck boards on top. You could park a tank on my deck. Where I live you don't have to get a permit if you are the home owner building a deck just contractors need them.
  16. cycloneman

well you have to nail the forms together and then nail them to the stakes.
    the job is large, over 25 pads + the driveways and everything around the school get concrete. There is no asphalt on this job.
  17. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

My carpenters (I passed on this job) used rhodium plated twist nails for all the floor boards, it's been in since 1989, 23 years with no popped heads or any rust marks at all. There is also a roof over the deck but open sides.

I also requested 2 x 12 boards doubled up on the beams, you could park a truck on the deck with zero deflection.

Also they did not leave even ONE hammer head mark anywhere on the deck, real pros.

ALSO I use plated twist nails on my 80 x 80 wooden backyard fence put in in 1988 when any come loose, really does the job!! (and looks nice)
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  18. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I understand there is often allot of concrete in a commercial project but I can't recall ever a project where the gun would be quicker and easier to drag around than my hammer and pouchfull of nails. I always use one when framing but there I'm shooting nails in quantity. Over 50 nails in 8' of stud wall compared to maybe 16 in 8' of form.
    I don't know. If they make it, there must be a use for it. Pour-in-place walls can certainly eat up some nails sometimes.
  19. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

It's hard to find a job site now without compressors running all over.

I'm a big PBS "This Old House" fan and they used to nail, now use the newest, quickest, easiest pop together things on the market.

Plus I think they teach the new trade guys how to use nail guns more than hammers....progress!?
  20. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Yes but access to air isn't the issue, it's the application. For example a curb or driveway setup involves layout, driving stakes for your line, setting elevavations and then possibly digging under the line in places to make clearance for lumber.
    Now placing and staking the lumber in place. So driving a stake and raising your form to the line and driving a single nail, then moving a few feet to drive another stake for another single nail (or two depending on size of lumber) is just a fraction of the process and the actual driving of nails isn't near consuming enough to be benefited by also having to try and keep a nail gun within reach of every move.
    This is why you don't see nail guns being used in concrete construction, and not because they refuse to leave the dark ages.:)