Looking for an accurate 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by jkunig, Apr 29, 2007.

1. patrol

patrol New Member

Any 1911 you get will probably out shoot your Blackhawk. Question is how much can you spend? If you want an awesome 1911 out of the box for under $600 new that new Taurus 1911 is great. But if you dont mind spending a little more or the same the Smith 1911's and any Kimber are hard to beat. I own 5 1911 style 45's:Springfield 1911Milspec with tons of upgrades put into it. A Colt 70 series gov model. A Para CCW LDA. A Kimber Procarry and finally a Smith and Wesson 1911 "Scandium" with the just under 5inch barrell. Out of all of those. The Smith and the Kimber shoot the best. I couldn't imagine how good the heavier model smiths shoot out of the box since usually the heavier ones have less felt recoil I imagine they would be a dream to shoot. I think the Smith's are really Kimbers though since they hired one of the Kimber designers to start their 1911 line.
  2. patrol

patrol New Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. Which ever 1911 you get stock up at the next gun show on plenty of ChipMccormik 8 round magazines. I have a ton of mags and the stainless ChipMccormiks have been the best. Acumag is good also and I think "Star" mags are Chipmccormik mags in different logo presentations.
  3. patrol

patrol New Member

If you can afford or are willing to pay over $1K get a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown for best quality best accuracy 1911.
    If you are like me and like to collect but can't see paying a grand for a handgun then out of the box best accuracy and best quality for under $1K get any of the following because they all shoot about 1 to 2inch groups at 15yards or less in 1911 models and cost at or well under $1k: Kimber/Smith/Para Ordinance. Those are three good manufacture's to start with even though Smith and Kimber are really the same because the engineers from Kimber work in the Smith plant now and brought the knowledge with them.
  4. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

If you haven't bought your 1911 yet may I recommend the Taurus PT1911. I love mine and out of the box you can expect 2" groups at 20-25 yards, all the features you need in a cary gun at an affordable price. My soon to be eleven year old daughter and one of my wife's friends have shot it and quite comfortably. We have hit bowling pins at 50 yards with it at the range. If I do my part this gun is probably more accurate than I am. At around $500 new you can't go wrong.
  5. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

A Big +1 on a Wilson Combat 1911

I have 2 and they are both so accurate it is scary!!!

Here is another resource for 1911 information you might be interested in:

http://forums.1911forum.com/

tex45acp
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Troutwest speaks the truth, but omitted the real 'clincher'; a 'Lifetime Warranty', which you likely will never get to test!
    Sometimes the 'copy' turns out better than the 'model'; Recall the disintegrating Slides that Beretta was selling to the military, in the M-9, early on?
    Ever hear of the Taurus PT-92's, or PT99's with such issues?
    Fine Company, great value, excellent product in all they put their hand to.
    Check out their newest revolver in this month's American Rifleman!!!
  7. Fan45acp

Fan45acp New Member

I like my Kimber Tac. II Custom.Shoots GREAT,Feeds EVERYTHING,WORKS well.I use this with a Kirkland T-CC hoster for concealed carry.I feel that I'm very well armed.And remember to Practice, Practice, Practice .

John Henry
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  8. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

The best I've heard lately is the new PT1911 from taurus. Great handgun for the money. Almost like it came out of a custom shop or something with all of the factory add-ons. Recent field test i read stated that after a 50 rnd. break in that groups tightened up from 3-4" at 25m to around the 1" mark @ 25m. Quite the accuracy for a $600 (called local shop, had one new for $540) handgun. Shoot one if you get the chance before you spend good money on something else...Just my 2 cents
  9. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I'm quite pleased with my PT1911 and have nothing but praise for it. I did swap out the factory plastic grips the other day however as was my intention even before I purchased it. Now it has a set of Hogues on it which make it feel great. Not that the factory plastic grips were bad, they were fine, just not my cup of tea.

Other than that, there has been no customizing done to mine, though a few people on the Taurus board have been personalizing their own. It's a solid 1911 for any of those that may be interested.

www.taurusarmed.net
  10. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

very happy and suprised with the dead on accuracy of my r.i.a.