Looking for an instructor

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by jumeda33, Feb 16, 2010.

1. jumeda33

jumeda33 New Member

Hey everyone,
    I live in West Palm Beach, Florida and I am looking for an instructor to teach myself and my wife proper shooting techniques. We have owned our guns for about four months and have been to the range but would like to learn how to hit the target. I have a S&W M&P 9C and she has a Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm. We are looking for someone that we can spend an hour or so with to really learn how to stand, sight, shoot, etc... If anyone on the forum knows someone that is a really good instructor in my area, please let me know.
    Thanks for your help.
    David
  2. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Jumeda;

try the NRA web site for instructors in your area.
    I didn't look before I posted but I have been listed in my area for many years and most instructors do list with them.
    If you find one, then ask around or ask them about their experience in teaching.

Hope this helps.

UF
  3. jumeda33

jumeda33 New Member

Thanks alot for that UncleFudd. I wouldn't have known to do that. I appreciate the help.
    David
  4. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Your both welcome and IMHO a wise man for trying to find and spend time with an instructor prior to going out on your own.

Have your questions ready to ask any instructor you might pick to be sure you have a responsible person to teach you what you wish to learn.

if it is basics of the pistol, it is critical to find someone who truly knows the basics of the grip, stance and sight picture and can help you and your wife to understand them and apply them correctly.

If done properly it will make all the difference in the world in your accuracy right from the start.

Hope all goes well, good luck.

UF
  5. jumeda33

jumeda33 New Member

UF, that is exactly what we are looking for, the basics. We feel we need the basics as our foundation to build on. Maybe we need to come to Phoenix to see you. LOL. I went on the NRA website and e-mailed them that we are looking for an instructor. Maybe they will respond.
    Thanks again.
    David
  6. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Great time of year to visit and the porch light along with the welcome matt is always on and out.

I traveled to South Carolina a few years ago to host an instructors workshop for a guy who owned several indoor ranges throughout the state and needed his employees to become NRA cert. instructors. (I am also an NRA Training Counselor). They had just signed the CCW into law and he wanted to be able to hold the training classes in his ranges.
    However, I don't know of any instructors in your area, but usually the NRA is quite responsive to these types of queries and should get back to you very soon.
    I wish I were closer as I truly enjoy helping others with the basics. It has always been the most enjoyable of all my training programs.
    I have been told that I am very good at it as well which makes it even more rewarding to me.

Let me know if you are unable to find someone right away.

UF
  7. jumeda33

jumeda33 New Member

UF, thank you very much. I will keep you posted as to how we make out.
    Thanks again.
    David (and Debby)
  8. trapperdick

trapperdick New Member

You can't have too much training.........get all you can, and shoot all you can afford.....good luck...........TD
  9. wpage

wpage Active Member

Agreed never to much practice and training to achieve perfection.