Looking for assistance in locating parts for a Winchester Model 43

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by thommcat, Jun 25, 2008.

1. thommcat

thommcat New Member

Specifically looking for the buttplate wood screws, triger guard wood screw, and the stock stud screw. I'm trying to put back together my grandfather's Model 43 22 Hornet, and someone did a doosy of a job fouling up the heads of the screws.

Thanks for any help, as I'm finding that parts for this rifle are scarce.
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

Thommcat, welcome to the forum.

You can try these folks first:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0950Z43

If they're no help, gather up the size of the screws that you need (length & O.D.). Then call Brownells at 1-800-741-0015 (between 8:30 - 4:30 central) and ask to speak to a Gun Tech. Tell them about your project and they will help you out.

Art
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. thommcat

thommcat New Member

Thank you for the tip on e-gun parts, and Brownells. I've already went the e-gunparts route as I've used them, and Sarco in the past for other restoration projects. With e-gun parts the only screw they had in stock was the triggerguard screw, and it ended up not being the correct size. I'll try Brownells later today.
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Thomcat,

If they are not tooooo buggered up:eek:.... you might try putting the screws in the soft jaws of a vise and peening them lightly with a small ballpeen hammer, respaping them as you go. The screw driver slot can be recut with a hack saw blade. Some rally nasty looking screw heads can be saved this way and be reblued to match. Take your time and it will work unless to much metal is gone. Best reguards, Kirk