looking for best 22 wmr auto's

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by coloradorockin, Mar 28, 2012.

1. coloradorockin

coloradorockin New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum and am looking at 22 wmr pistol and rifle in semi automatic. From what I am seeing most manufacturers that make them seem to have problems with them and wonder what you folks have to say about who might make a quality one.

Been reading here for awhile and decided to join and play.
    Thank You
    clark dodd
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

The Keltec PMR-30, best of the bunch...
    Also available in carbine version, the RMR-30...
    [​IMG]

History Lesson...
    George Kellgren is the lead guy at Kel-Tec (hence the name KEL-Tec...lol)
    He was also the head guy at Grendel...(again, hence the name GRENdel...)

Grendel made one of the most successful semi-auto .22WMR's...so good the FBI even looked it over as a potential issue-backup.
    This was the P-30 pistol...
    There were 3 styles...the P-30 short pistol, the P-31 Oversized pistol...and the R-31 carbine.
    [​IMG]

Fun stuff Note the similarity to the R-31...

Ok, Then Bill Clinton's Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 KILLED every high-cap mag (15+rounds)...until it sunsetted in 2004...
    and pretty much KILLED every company that specialized in weapons that had 16 rounds or more capacity...hence the expiration of Grendel.

In 1995...George created Kel-Tec...and made the Basic Pistols that he was making before the ban, that made bookoo $$$ like the P-11 & P3...
    and has since created some really successful weapons since, and he's lived happily ever after...history lesson over.

Now, what you REALLY need to know about .22WMR Semi-auto weapons...

I don't care WHO makes 'em...the main issue with 'em is the round itself...it simply ain't made for semi-auto use.
    The fact that George figured out a way to make it work MOST OF THE TIME, in TWO separate styles of receiver, is nothing short of amazing.
    I own a P-30 & an R-31...BOTH had to have some/most of the Goldenloki Tweaks before being Reliable...
    http://www.goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm
    and they have to be cleaned like AR-15's...meaning, after EVERY time you fire it, you clean it at the end of the day. No Exceptions. Ever.
    If you go to the range...clean it after...if you go hunting and only fire ONE shot, clean it after...it'll save you a TON of grief.
    Only Use Appropriate Gun Cleaners...as in the Old Fashioned styles...like Hoppe's & Outer's...plastic Melts when you use Brake Cleaner, DUH.
    Let my experiences give you relief

Do those things, and they're perfectly reliable....Don't, and they act like Jam-O-Matics. Its that simple.

From what I gather, the other options in this category also suffer from the same headaches...
    The AMT Automag II, when it first came out, I thought COOL and bought one...shortly thereafter, I wished I hadn't.
    Reportedly, they also benefit from the Goldenloki tips...but as they're only 10-rds per mag...kind of a waste.
    Same for the Excel Accelerator...only a 10-rd mag...and clunky as heck.
    The Ruger 1022M is now DEAD...but lives on under the Magnum Research & Volquartsen banners. Ruger sold them the rights.
    Ruger stopped & started production on the 1022M FIVE separate times before giving up...they just couldn't do it right.
    That's why the MR & VQ versions cost $800+...they did it right, but that version is Expensive to get right.

The big benefit of .22WMR is Hi-Capacity...to make a pistol that DOESN'T take advantage of the power & small size of the round, is simply stupid.
    The Grendels shared mags...reportedly, so do the PMR & RMR's 30-rounders, Smart Move!!

They're not planning on making NY/NJ/Cali/Ill/HI versions, you don't like it, get rid of the Democrats & change the bad gun laws.
    Better Yet, Tar & Feather all Democrats!!
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    sorry i disagree,ruger is now making a 22wmr again and i think it will be the best rifle.the pistol however is another story the kel tec mag is difficult to load to max and i cannot tell you about dependability.i would not ever depend on a semi auto in 22 mag.thats just been my experience. old semperfi
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    For years there were lever, pump, and bolt action rifles chambered for the .22 Magnum, but very few autoloaders. This is because the Magnum operates at pressures above those deemed safe for simple blowback actions (the type of action used for all autoloading .22 LR rifles). There are a number of accurate, high grade .22 Magnum bolt action rifles. When Magnum Research first brought out their (Ruger) .22 Magnum, I ran down and bought one! $800 out the door! They are expensive, but they do work, and work well!

Attached Files:

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

10/22 mag $500 - 600
    Rem 597mag $400 - 500 not an option
    Grendel 30 $400
    AMT Auto mag $400 - 500

I agree with the earlier post for the much cheaper bolt action rifle and a revolver unless you want to burn through $12 ammo as fast as possible.
  6. coloradorockin

coloradorockin New Member

Thank You Shrek, that was most informative. Kind of ashame the wmr is hard to handle in a semi auto. It is one fun round to shoot. Thank you all for responding, I thought I might have posted something wrong being a newbie. I did just get the 10/22 take down last weekend and I gotta say it is one sweet gun. Great well padded backpack it comes in. Again, thanks for the replies.
  7. Big Shrek

If they are, it sure ain't on their website...or their catalog...

They're still making the 77/22 Bolt-action...but the 1022-M (M for Magnum) is most definitely missing.
  8. Big Shrek

Well, I was informed last week that I'm now in the Number One spot finally for the next Keltec PMR-30...I was seventh in line 1 & 1/2 years ago...LOL

That's the big kvetch I have about Keltec...takes bloody FOREVER to get their stuff in...
    I'm almost afraid to order an RMR-30 (the carbine) because Obama might get re-elected before it would come in,
    and that jackwagon WILL re-install Bill Clinton's Gun Ban...which would mean no more hi-caps
    (that means all over-10-round-mags would be illegal again...)

If you love guns, you better hate Obama...
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I never had a problem with my AMT. Not once.
  10. Big Shrek

Dang you guys...

All this yapping about .22WMR semi-auto's and I went and tripped over a Marlin 922-M at a local pawn shop...

3 mags, Nikon scope, swivel studs, and flip-up buckhorn rear sight...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not bad for $300, eh?? :)

Heck, looking at this model Nikon, its usually $125-150 new...lol...looks like I made out like a Frito Bandito!!
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  11. Big Shrek

Yer lucky ;)

Automag III & IV, truly awesome...but there are a buncha repair threads on Automag II's...

I've become quite the Hi-Cap guy since the AWB...never thought I needed more than 10 rounds in anything until Bill Clinton decided we were all idiots.
    Then, I couldn't get enough of 'em!! I was buying hi-cap guns from druggies to get 'em offa the streets & into Good Hands ;)
    So now I've got a buttload of cache'd hi-caps that are not attached to me by any paperwork in case Obutthead gets re-elected & reinstates the AWB.
    Which, given half a chance, he will.

Nifty trick, put a cache buried UNDER a regular Geocache!!
    Goofy kid stuff on top keeps lookieloos busy, while you know where yer stuff is safely smothered in cosmoline 6' down ;)
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I used to carry it concealed here in FL when thats all I could afford in FL while in College. I felt completely comfortable with it. I let it go for a song too...sad but true.
  13. Big Shrek

Forgot to mention recently, the test-fire went like wildfire!!

Without anything other than a basic cleaning, I loaded up the mags & prodded a stack of old logs...
    the 922M worked like it was meant to...semi-auto with no headache...using 50-grain Federal Game-Shok ammo...
    So much so that I'm modding a couple 25MN/XT22M mags for use in the 922M (same except for the addition of a slot for the mag release)...

Pretty fun rifle!!
  14. classic carnut

classic carnut New Member

Try looking at a Volquartsen (a little pricey but worth the it). WWW. Volquartse.

Len