Looking for ccw options

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 31bravo, Aug 13, 2009.

1. 31bravo

31bravo New Member

well I've had my CCW for nearly a month and still open carry my double stack para but after nearly a month of looking I have not made a 100% decision on any weapon to carry every day. I've looked at all the pocket style pistols from the kel-tec p32 and the .380 but to be honest they just don't do it for me and i refuse to carry anything smaller then a 9mm.

here are some of the things im looking for:

-$600 for the gun, holster and 25 rounds (already have plenty or .45)

-looking for Inside the waistband

-looking for 9mm or larger round

-6+ rounds per mag

-looking for reliability and a proved track record

-I love 1911s (wishful thinking) but am not stuck on one set brand or gun type/ make.

-dont mind having to upgrade or mod a gun.

also today I looked at a rock island arms 1911 with I think a 3.75 inch barrel for $450 problem is I've never heard of the company but the gun felt solid and was a great size just needed thin rubber grips. just wondering if anyone has seen/ used/ heard of this company?

any other question feel free to ask.
  2. azsigman

azsigman New Member

Re: ooking for ccw options

See if you can find a Kel-Tec PF-9 ( I have one and love it) or the new Taurus Model 709 "Slim" looks interesting to me. I can slip the KT into my pocket, no problem...
  3. 31bravo

31bravo New Member

i have actually considered a Llama minimax II in .45acp for around $350.
  4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

You can get a cheaper Sig if you are willing to stick with DAO. You would be running around $500 to $600. I would avoid Taurus as a carry. Get something you can count on if the dreaded moment arises and you need it. Click is a bad thing to hear.
  5. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

XD .40 Sub Compact was my choice and it's been a good one.
  6. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Rock Island Armory .45 is a splendid piece and I sometimes I carry my full size. I wish I could find an officers ACP.

I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 in my strong side front pocket, my Taurus Millennium Pro P-140 .40 cal strong side IWB. Can't go wrong either way. I have been known to carry my wife's Taurus .38 and my Ivory handled Colt SAA. :eek: :D

Phamr,

What'cha got against Taurus brother? :confused:
  7. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

That or the Compact .45, thats what I carry.
  8. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

one day my 1911 then my 38sp then my 9mm then the 44mag. you get one ccw not one GUN.
  9. 31bravo

31bravo New Member

in my case i get one gun money is the issue and a deciding one.
  10. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

To closely paraphrase Annie Oakley, from a 19th. Century interview, when asked a similar question. There are many good guns; but one is not wise to rely on a cheap or "off brand" one for personal defense.

There are lots of opinions here. Some posters are obviously knowledgeable experts; others are not. Just because one buys an inferior product and discovers no shortcomings; does not make the product good.

I am not going to make any specific model or brand endorsements or damnations. But I would advise one to buy the guns of makers with a proven "track record" for making products that work reliably and have few (or no) durability issues. This does not mean that more expensive is necessarily better. There are some very expensive products on the market that do not perform as well as their mid level competition. There are some reasonably priced excellent performing products. But there are few cheap products in the handgun world that perform like "quality" products, or that you would want to stake your life on.

Reliable info on good quality can be hard to come by. Gun magazine publishers are often reluctant to say bad things about an advertiser's products. {But when they do; listen.} Consumers who buy things want to think that they chose wisely; and often will not admit that they made a mistake, (even to themselves) when it is obvious to the whole world that they did.

A good pistol will function for more than 5000 shots without malfunction and without cleaning or lubrication. Many cheap or poorly designed pistols malfunction at a rate of greater than 1:1000 (or even 1:100 or worse) from new, until they are worn beyond economical repair, before 5000 total shots. A durable pistol is often serviceable after over 50,000 shots, a cheap pistol built off the same dimensional prints may not last 500 shots without breaking a part or parts.

A few general statements of fact: The .45 ACP is a good cartridge; but it is a relatively low pressure (about 18000 psi) one. In 1947 when Colt thought they might sell the US a shorter lighter 1911A1, they only shortened the barrel 3/4"! Even this cost a 25% reduction in calculated ballistic energy. The legendary stopping power of the .45 ACP (and the .45 Colt, aka Long Colt) comes from 5" (or longer) barrels, not 3" ones. Just because the caliber is .45, doe not mean that it has the stopping power of a 1911A1!

Small compact autoloading designs tend to have more extreme unlocking and cycling angles which tends to challenge reliability.

By comparison the .40 S&W was developed in the early 1990's at the request of the FBI after the 9 X 19 (Parabellum, Luger, etc.) failed them so miserably on "Black Tuesday" in FL. {The FBI opined that the 10mm was too powerful, with too much potential for collateral damage.} The 40 S&W is about a 32000 psi design. The higher initial breech pressure gives it an advantage for accelerating 180 grain bullets out of short barrels. It has a distant but ballistically similar ancestor from the 19th. Century caliber known as the .38-40. {Should have been called 41-40} The late Jeff Cooper once wrote that the best handgun droppers of wild horses (when it was his job to cull them in the early 1950's) were the 38-40, 44-40, 45 Colt, and 45 ACP. The 357 Mag finished much lower. The 44 Mag did not debut until 1956.

The .380, 9 mm's, .38's, and 357 Mag. all shoot essentially the same diameter bullet. Looking at shootings over the last 140 years, none of these calibers has the proven "man stopping" record of the bores of .40 to .45 in handguns.

Hope this helps someone.
  11. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

A good sized compact, for me, is the SIG 239, decocker, hammer, SA/DA in 40 S&W.
    7 round mag in 40 S&W, 8 round mag in 9mm.
    A little more expensive but a quality handgun.
  12. azsigman

azsigman New Member

A big +1 to that. Both my wife and I have a P239 in 9mm. It is my EDC most of the time. For just a quick run to the store I'll put my KT in my pocket. IMHO, you just cannot beat a Sig ( note my forum name "azsigman" ). Good luck. Check out the Sigforum. Used ones are for sale there once in awhile.
  13. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

Kahr P45......6+1 of .45 acp plus 7 round mags available for backup
    That's my summer edc, and I'm very happy with the quality and performance.
  14. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Kel-tec P11, fluffed and buffed.

10 + 1 rounds.

It has never failed me.

Inside the WB, in the front pocket, on the hip, or in an ankle holster.
  15. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Just a few stories about reliability compared to the better, higher quality firearms. Eventually, I am going to get one.....but as a carry, I would stick with Glock, Kimber, Sig or the like. There being exceptions to the rule, if I had a Taurus that fired consistantly and without fail at the range, then I would have no problems. But, if resources are limited, then saving up and going with a higher quality firearm out of the starting gate is a wiser choice. IMHO of course.