Looking for Confirmation of H&R .38 Hammerless

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hoclbe, Jul 14, 2012.

1. hoclbe

hoclbe New Member

I inherited a H&R .38 Hammerless 5 shot pistol. The top of the barrel has "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co Worchester, Mass USA" with the following patent dates under that:
    Oct 4, 87, May 14 & Aug 6, 89, April 2, 95, April 7, 1896
    The serial number is 44530 and shows in full in three places, on the butt, under the top strap, and on the inside of the left handle. 530 shows on the cylinder 2 times.
    It is a five shot with a 3 1/4" barrel.

From my research so far I believe it to be a H&R Hammerless First Model Large Frame Top Break (Black Powder). The serial number is toward the high end which is 45000 so I think it was probably made in 1904.

I am mainly interested in confirming what it is and the approximate date of manufacture. It has been in the family probably since new so it is an heirloom.

The condition looks to be fair but I intend to have a gunsmith check it out before deciding whether to shoot it or not.

Attached Files:

2. Killcreek

Killcreek New Member

[​IMG]

Yes, they were very common around the turn of the century. I have 6 of the little buggers, 3 in .38, and 3 in .32. In this snapshot, the hammerless is a US Firearms, and the hammered revolver is an H&R. The US Firearms revolver has no marks or corrosion that would suggest that it has been fired. The H&R has been fired but has been well taken care of and is very clean. These are used quite often in cowboy action shoots.

The worst part is ammo, ooooooeeeee,,about $35 a box.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012