looking for file trim gauge 30-06 ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Jan 24, 2010.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is probably a dumb question,but hopefully someone can help.I have some 30-06 cases that need trimming.I once saw one at another reloaders' shop. You opened the die,inserted a properly sized case,and if the legnth of the neck protruded from it,you filed it flush,then deburred it,and ready to proceed loading.I can't find one of these anywhere.Am i calling it the wrong name? I only reload on a very small scale but if i need to buy a common trimmer w/handle,I will.Just seems the thing i can't find would be quicker,if only loading 50-100 or so. THANKS Joe
  2. zb338

zb338 New Member

RCBS lists a trim die. I used my search engine to access the
    RCBS catalog and it is shown in there and even has pictures.
    I would guess that anyone who sells RCBS dies would be able
    to get it for you. Redding also lists having one.

Zeke
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider for small amounts of reloading is the little Lee trimmer setup.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...tring=9315***731***695***8935***&brandId=1262

This is cheaper than a trim die and a lot quicker to use too. You can get set up for one caliber for about $10 and additional calibers another $5 or so for the shellholder & pilot.
    If you care to speed up the process a bit, you can chuck the shellholder into a cordless drill or electric screwdriver but it's not hard if you just handhold the tools too.
    (My opinion...don't bother with their little Zip-Trim powerhead. Stick with just a drill if you want to power it up.)
  5. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

thanks guys.Once again you've helped me with a problem. Joe
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend the trim dies from redding or RCBS. they are waaaaay more accurate and actually a bit faster to use than the LEE trimmer. I have used the LEE trimmer for years and it is a quality tool that will get the job done at a fraction of the cost but my only qualm with it is over time the tit on the end of the mandrel wears donw and changes the minimum trim length. My .45acp trimmer went from .888 minimum to .880 in just 800 cases... something to think about...;) good luck
  7. Bindernut

Dang...never had that problem! Not saying it can't happen though.

BUT...When I bought my second setup after my fire, the face on the lock stud had a rough little burr right in the center where the pin would normally rest on it so I faced it off and polished it up. That one has been in use since '96.

Just for giggles, I dug out an old journal and checked my trim lengths from back in 96 to some I did recently. They're still within a .001-002 of each other.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

did you do yours by hand or with a drill like I did. I think the high speed drill without lube had an adverse effect on the mandrel. its flat on the tip. Now, when I do use it i do it by hand and check the case frequently. Thank goodness you dont have to trim .45ACP very often;)
  9. Bindernut

I use a drill 90% of the time. Low range on a cordless. I would guess about 100rpm or thereabouts, so not real fast. I found that if I turn em too fast I'll get chatter marks on the case mouths. They also seem to trim more consistently for me if I run it with a drill at a consistent speed.
    I will turn em by hand if I'm away from my bench (like on a prairie dog trip) but that's a lot of work so I try not to. :)

The new ones maybe aren't quite as good...or you got a bad one...or I got a good one...who knows? Like I said, anything is possible (and I suspect LD would also add "because it's Lee" :D)

It is interesting though so I will have to keep that in mind. It's always good to swap experience!
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah, you might be right about me getting ahold of a bad one. Or maybe the new ones aint as good as the old ones. You are definitely right about LD...:eek: that guys got dillon fever real bad;) The only LEE item I ever heard him say anything good about is the factory crimp die. What would we do without him:)