Looking for good shooter at 300-400 yds.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

newbietrader
    (5/17/01 9:26:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Looking for good shooter at 300-400 yds.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What is range and drop on 8mm m98 mausers, m48 mauser 8mm, or can you recomend a C&R type rifle that is a good hunting rifle out of the box that can be sporterized with new stock and scope?

E-mail me asap so I can get one on order at joeyanderson@myexcel.com

Edited by: Tac401 at: 5/17/01 11:28:04 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/17/01 9:50:25 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Looking for good shooter at 300-400 yds.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First things first....Welcome newbietrader! I cannot speak to your question of the 8mm, because there are to many things to consider...surplus ammo? reloads? bullet weight? type of intended shooting. That said, the 300-400 yard range can be coverd by many of the early military rounds. One of the slickest rifles out of the box, is the Swedish Mauser in 6.5...flat shooting and accurate beyond compare. The Swede, could help you more on this one than I, as he is the top guy here on the Swedish Mauser. LTS

Kdubya
    (5/17/01 1:01:19 pm)
    Hello, Newbietrader - (NT)

Any older military rifle is capable of shooting to 300-400 yds.
    If your desire is to lob bullets to that range to see a puff of dust, get any cheap Mauser, some surplus ammo and get with the program!
    If you want one that will consistently put the bullets near the target and won't beat you to death in the process, get the Swede 6.5x55mm Mod '96 or '38. Lots of ammo available, both surplus military and commercial. This Mauser is renowned for accuracy and has the slickest action of them all.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

Bob In St Louis
    (5/17/01 7:22:56 pm)
    I have used a Swedish Mauser Model 38 since the early 1980s for deer hunting. No scope, no modifications - straight military. Of course, mine has the as-issued micrometer marine sights.

I have also taken a Moisin Nagant Model 44 (Polish), put it in a black fiberglass stock, fitted it with a turned down bolt, and mounted a medium grade Tasco scope on it - cheap package, but it shoots fine and I don't worry if it bangs around in my truck.

I have heard a lot of glowing reports about the Turkish 8mm Mausers now available. They look beat up, but shoot fine, with good accuracy. Heck, get a rifle for $40.00, a synthetic stock for $39.00, bolt kit & scope mount for about $40, put a $40 scope on it - for $160 you have a slick rifle.

I have all sorts of contract Mausers, Moisin Nagants, French MAS rifles, Enfields, FN49s, Hakims, Jungmans, etc., but when I am heading out to hunt, I grab the Swedish Mauser first.

(I must note that where I hunt in Missouri we have steep rolling hills and heavy tree cover. Open iron sights are perfectly fine for 95% of my potential shots).
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Kdubya
    (5/17/01 9:29:50 pm)
    And there you have it -

Everything you needed or wanted to know about surplus military rifles and their abilities. As Bob ( ) says, ya can't really go wrong with any of them - get the one that strikes your fancy and go with it!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

TallTLynn
    (5/17/01 10:29:56 pm)
    Bob the Turkish Mauser shoots just fine in my humble opinion. Like it so much I want another one.

WyomingSwede
    (5/17/01 10:42:07 pm)
    For fit, form,finish or quality of steel you cannot beat a swedish mauser. The model 96 can be customized into a really fine rifle, or shot as is it will definitely get the job done.
    The 6.5x55 swede cartridge has a great ballistic coefficient, bucks wind well, and with the long length has superior penetration to any similar size cartridge. It does not have heavy recoil nor burn massive amounts of powder. It has replaced the .243 winchester as my antelope rifle...and has the power to take anything up to and including elk. You dont need the stock surgically removed from your shoulder after a practice session. I tend to favor Nosler partitions.
    I sight my rifle in dead on at 300 yards, and have had absolutely no problem going out to 450. I do admit to shooting a great deal ...and I never take a rifle out before season without putting 100 rounds through it at varying distances first.
    all that said...dont put off buying a swede because they are becoming somewaht scarcer...run over $200 now. I have never seen a bad looking swedish mauser or seen one that didnt shoot.
    The 98s and turks are not bad rifles but use care and examine condition carefully...you can get a lemon if not careful. The 8mm is similar to a 30-06 and performs about the same. However it is a cartridge you can make shine if you aren't afraid to handload. My $.02...hope this helps...regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

polishshooter
    (5/18/01 12:04:39 am)
    Mosin Nagant....if you can't afford a Swede